U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2018, 05:50 PM

2,186 posts, read 791,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
It's understandable that you and others feel that way. Let's take the topic of racism:

He's not racist...
"And if a stranger sojourn with thee in your land, ye shall not vex him. But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am Jehovah your God."-Leviticus 19:33,34

"At this Peter began to speak, and he said: “Now I truly understand that God is not partial, but in every nation the man who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him."- Acts 10:34,35

"You are all, in fact, sons of God through your faith in Christ Jesus. For all of you who were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor freeman, there is neither male nor female, for you are all one in union with Christ Jesus. Moreover, if you belong to Christ, you are really Abraham’s offspring, heirs with reference to a promise."-Galatians 3:26

Philip was guided to teach and baptize an African returning to Ethiopia who sought to understand Bible truths.-Acts 8:26-39

"Advanced nations" even today, through rhetoric and actions from the top down, fail.
People have used the Bible throughout the ages to justify a number of crimes. But, the fault doesn't lie with "the book." It lies with people who twist what's written to the detriment of others.
Does he have a chosen people?
Did he sanction the Jews to wipe out the Cananites and amelkites?
Jesus was only sent to unto the lost of the house of Israel.

Having a chosen people alone is enough to be considered racist. Having Israel genocide whole tribes is racist enough. Yet, the Bible is vastly contradictory on many issues so it cannot be the inspiration of a righteous higher being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 04:28 AM

8,791 posts, read 7,710,113 times
Someone questioned my funeral preaching. In funerals, the standard in our church is to give them the promises of God from the Bible. God loves all, He wants all to repent, believe in Jesus, and be forgiven of their sins. The only real comfort when someone dies is the offer of free forgiveness and the coming resurrection which God offers to all by faith in Jesus Christ. Philosophical dreams dont comfort anyone in a cemetary.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:42 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Someone questioned my funeral preaching. In funerals, the standard in our church is to give them the promises of God from the Bible. God loves all, He wants all to repent, believe in Jesus, and be forgiven of their sins. The only real comfort when someone dies is the offer of free forgiveness and the coming resurrection which God offers to all by faith in Jesus Christ. Philosophical dreams dont comfort anyone in a cemetary.
and fire and brimstones do provide comfort?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:24 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,174,245 times
Quote:
I didn't ask about your funeral preaching. Here was my question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Is that what you tell grieving family members, pastor?
Do you tell grieving family members that their unreligious loved one is in hell? To remind you of what you said:

Quote:
Im always amazed when people go to a funeral, and they always say the the guest of honir is in abetter place, even if they were complerely unrelugious. Have they never heard that the vast majority go to hell.
If your concern is comforting people, how are you doing that?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,029,178 times
So glad you have this thread! I'm not sure if I'm the one not getting a particular passage; if it's others who aren't getting it; or if many people just blindly go along with what they read or hear.

In another thread (in P&OC) about this week's violence, someone stated that the suspect quoted John 8:44 and said the Bible says that Jews are the children of Satan. Now I'm no Bible scholar, but I immediately thought to myself, that just had to be wrong. As the posts and comments went along, no one said, "hey wait a sec, that can't be right".... so I googled John 8:44. Nope, unless I'm missing it, nothing close to that horrid comment about Jews. Then I googled the statement outright...still nothing.

It bothers me that no one questioned what John 8:44 really says, and it leads me to wonder if I'm not interpreting the passage correctly. That has always been my biggest complaint with trying to read the Bible - there are so many translations and interpretations, how is one supposed to decipher correct from incorrect?

Thanks in advance to any of you for taking the time to reply.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:18 AM

384 posts, read 363,087 times
I see that nearly everyone working in unison attacking Christians, God, and the faith.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:30 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,174,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
So glad you have this thread! I'm not sure if I'm the one not getting a particular passage; if it's others who aren't getting it; or if many people just blindly go along with what they read or hear.

In another thread (in P&OC) about this week's violence, someone stated that the suspect quoted John 8:44 and said the Bible says that Jews are the children of Satan. Now I'm no Bible scholar, but I immediately thought to myself, that just had to be wrong. As the posts and comments went along, no one said, "hey wait a sec, that can't be right".... so I googled John 8:44. Nope, unless I'm missing it, nothing close to that horrid comment about Jews. Then I googled the statement outright...still nothing.

It bothers me that no one questioned what John 8:44 really says, and it leads me to wonder if I'm not interpreting the passage correctly. That has always been my biggest complaint with trying to read the Bible - there are so many translations and interpretations, how is one supposed to decipher correct from incorrect?

Excellent question. God is love; use love as your guide.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:31 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 20 hours ago)

16,362 posts, read 8,903,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post

Have you tried using a commentary?

https://www.biblestudytools.com/comm...enry-complete/

As for that passage, Jesus is talking to the religious leaders, not all Jews. The first Christians were Jews.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:10 AM

15,392 posts, read 12,143,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJoe11 View Post
I see that nearly everyone working in unison attacking Christians, God, and the faith.
I don't see that. Some attack fundamental belief systems, that's for sure,
and this is not the place for it on my thread...

Oh, I do see all around threads mocking of God's murderous ways and how can you love
a monster like that....not understanding that's just what it says in the Bible...
doesn't mean He IS like that.

Old 10-28-2018, 11:17 AM

15,392 posts, read 12,143,677 times
ok, I have many things I don't see that people truly GET!
I have many Christian friends...I know their dark secrets and habits because they come to me for counsel.
This is not 'grasped'...Seek the Kingdom of Heaven first and all else will come. DO NOT WORRY. Give Him your burdens!! Cast your cares ...Be anxious for nothing.

This is a choice...a deliberate, conscious, intentional, steadfast decision to make it a complete focus;
primary...your priority more than food. It means controlling your thoughts
and placing your attention
on the Kingdom and all that means...24/7...until you are on auto-pilot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or