U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2018, 03:06 AM

32,238 posts, read 21,119,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
To me one of the most misused and misunderstood passages of the bible is this:

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

And, of course, the word erroneously translated as "hell" in that passage is actually the valley of Gehenna, not a place of eternal tormen
t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2018, 12:04 PM

15,411 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo
28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.
And, of course, the word erroneously translated as "hell" in that
passage is actually the valley of Gehenna, not a place of eternal tormen
t.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

And, of course, the word erroneously translated as "hell" in that passage is actually the valley of Gehenna, not a place of eternal torment.

Isn't it the Old I in us the one that we should guard our hearts againt. The one sitting on the throne acting like it's god, but when exposed is the one that destroys everything about us?.

Old 12-20-2018, 04:16 PM

4,255 posts, read 1,629,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
"It is finished." It's already been done. You don't need to earn any favor, or live up to a crazy standard. Nothing in the future you have to accomplish. There is a battle that lies ahead, but the war is already won.

Obeying Jesus is how one wins.( Matthew 16:24) He taught his followers to accomplish this( most important) = John 4:22-24= YHVH(Jehovah)-- Few hearts do this.
It is a battle everyday to accomplish( Matthew 7:21) in a satan ruled system.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:59 PM

5,965 posts, read 1,706,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Obeying Jesus is how one wins.( Matthew 16:24) He taught his followers to accomplish this( most important) = John 4:22-24= YHVH(Jehovah)-- Few hearts do this.
It is a battle everyday to accomplish( Matthew 7:21) in a satan ruled system.
That is called legalism. Jesus actually condemned it quite vehemently.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:59 PM

40,095 posts, read 26,755,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Isn't it the Old I in us the one that we should guard our hearts against. The one sitting on the throne acting like it's a god, but when exposed is the one that destroys everything about us?.
It is our animal nature, pcamps, that is our adversary because it has no thought just instinct. It generates drives to promote our survival, seek pleasure and avoid pain, period. It is actually on our side (our physical side) but it must be controlled by our Spirit. Only our Spirit (consciousness) has the power of thought and the ability to discern right from wrong, good from evil. It is that internal battle that we must win with the aid of the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 12-20-2018, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is our animal nature, pcamps, that is our adversary because it has no thought just instinct. It generates drives to promote our survival, seek pleasure and avoid pain, period. It is actually on our side (our physical side) but it must be controlled by our Spirit. Only our Spirit (consciousness) has the power of thought and the ability to discern right from wrong, good from evil. It is that internal battle that we must win with the aid of the Comforter sent in Christ's name to guide us to the Truth God has "written in our hearts."

Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 PM

3,139 posts, read 940,442 times
I often wondered as a child about this scripture where God makes a promise to Abraham:

Genesis 22:17 17 I will surely bless you and make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as the sand on the seashore. Your descendants will take possession of the cities of their enemies

I wondered how this can be when all the churches taught that so few would be saved. Yet in Genesis God promised Abraham a seemingly uncountable number of descendants that would be blessed by God. It clicked for me when I realized that Jesus will save all and will lose none.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:46 PM
Status: "Roaming around your head-nothing here to see." (set 3 hours ago)

16,365 posts, read 8,905,753 times
Here’s one...

Matthew 1:21
“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for He shall save his people from their sins.”

Old 12-20-2018, 07:50 PM

3,139 posts, read 940,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
"It is finished." It's already been done. You don't need to earn any favor, or live up to a crazy standard. Nothing in the future you have to accomplish. There is a battle that lies ahead, but the war is already won.
Truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or