U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,795 posts, read 7,712,915 times
Reputation: 15086

Advertisements

The fact that the law condemns everyone to eternal damnation in hell because of their sins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-20-2018, 08:15 PM
 
1,382 posts, read 487,568 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The fact that the law condemns everyone to eternal damnation in hell because of their sins.

There is no "hell" per se. There is the grave, and Sheol, which everyone is heading towards (Jeremiah 31:30). As for the "white throne judgment" (Revelation 20:13-15), "lake of fire" is eternal, the "2nd death" is terminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2018, 08:45 PM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,837,567 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
The fact that the law condemns everyone to eternal damnation in hell because of their sins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
There is no "hell" per se. There is the grave, and Sheol, which everyone is heading towards (Jeremiah 31:30). As for the "white throne judgment" (Revelation 20:13-15), "lake of fire" is eternal, the "2nd death" is terminal.
You were half-right, there is no Christian Hellhole, other than the grave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 05:33 AM
 
Location: New York Area
15,924 posts, read 6,267,579 times
Reputation: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
You study the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

-----------------------------John 5:39--40************************
Are you saying Jews are "GOD"?
No. The Jews are not G-d. We choose, however, to relate to G-d directly rather than through the aegis of a person who once existed, however great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 05:53 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Are you saying Jews are "GOD"?
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 05:54 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Reputation: 7812
I see unconditional LOVE, MERCY, ACCEPTANCE and JUSTICE...just without all the VENGEANCE, HATE and FEAR.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 06:02 AM
 
Location: New England
32,234 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
Jesus i suppose cherry picked the scriptures when he left this part of the verse of scripture out when quoting Isaiah.. and the day of vengeance of our God;


The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me; because the LORD hath anointed me to preach good tidings unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound;To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD, to comfort all that mourn;

It's not all about healing and love and forgiveness because he's holy too and because he's holy he's also vengeful and that day is coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 06:21 AM
 
Location: New York Area
15,924 posts, read 6,267,579 times
Reputation: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..
A book, one of the first committed to writing, that's still read for 2500 or so years is not worthless. G-d aside it contains many valid life lessons:
  1. Justice;
  2. Fairness to the handicapped;
  3. Honest weights and measures;
  4. Delegation of duties when in a position of responsibility;
  5. Education;
  6. Fair and proportional punishment; and
  7. The list goes on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 07:40 AM
 
21,883 posts, read 16,707,141 times
Reputation: 8704
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..
Jesus never said or implied that the Scriptures are worthless. Quite the contrary. Jesus recognized the authority of the Scriptures and regarded them as the word of God. Four examples.

Matthew 15:4 For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5] But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” 6] he is not to honor his father or his mother.' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

Matthew 19:4 He answered, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female,

Matthew 22:31 "But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God:

John 10:35 If He called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken
If you consider the Scriptures worthless, disregarding Jesus' high view of the Scriptures, then your relationship with God is very poor indeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,398 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Reputation: 16628
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I see unconditional LOVE, MERCY, ACCEPTANCE and JUSTICE...
just without all the VENGEANCE, HATE and FEAR.
I know, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top