U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-22-2018, 10:07 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,411 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Reputation: 16636

Advertisements

Said to zthatzmanz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
JIf you consider the Scriptures worthless, disregarding Jesus' high view of the Scriptures, then your relationship with God is very poor indeed.
Sorry, Mike...you dunno that...
and to be honest, have no right to say that to another man on this earth.

Not a Bible in my house growing up...knew nothing regarding 'scriptures' ...
I have had a relationship with God my entire life....not made up... not imaginary...
a real Divine Presence. And that Divine One allowed me to know that each man is exactly
where he is supposed to be...working out exactly what he is supposed to...our
job is to love, and only that...support, have compassion, be kind, give what we can...
reach out our hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-22-2018, 01:24 PM
 
21,891 posts, read 16,707,141 times
Reputation: 8714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus never said or implied that the Scriptures are worthless. Quite the contrary. Jesus recognized the authority of the Scriptures and regarded them as the word of God. Four examples.

Matthew 15:4 For God commanded, ‘Honor your father and your mother,’ and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’ 5] But you say, ‘If anyone tells his father or his mother, “What you would have gained from me is given to God,” 6] he is not to honor his father or his mother.' And by this you invalidated the word of God for the sake of your tradition.

Matthew 19:4 He answered, “Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning made them male and female,

Matthew 22:31 "But regarding the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God:

John 10:35 If He called them gods to whom the word of God came—and the Scripture cannot be broken
If you consider the Scriptures worthless, disregarding Jesus' high view of the Scriptures, then your relationship with God is very poor indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Said to zthatzmanz:

Sorry, Mike...you dunno that...
and to be honest, have no right to say that to another man on this earth.

Not a Bible in my house growing up...knew nothing regarding 'scriptures' ...
I have had a relationship with God my entire life....not made up... not imaginary...
a real Divine Presence. And that Divine One allowed me to know that each man is exactly
where he is supposed to be...working out exactly what he is supposed to...our
job is to love, and only that...support, have compassion, be kind, give what we can...
reach out our hand.

You're are only fooling yourself. If a person believes, as zthatzmanz28 does, that the Scriptures are worthless, then that person is rejecting the authority of God's word and simply does not have much of a relationship with God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 01:48 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
4,243 posts, read 656,384 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
There is no "hell" per se. There is the grave, and Sheol, which everyone is heading towards (Jeremiah 31:30). As for the "white throne judgment" (Revelation 20:13-15), "lake of fire" is eternal, the "2nd death" is terminal.
These things are about the nations, that will rule in the kingdom.

The scriptures are prophetic using metaphoric and symbolic language...... the new and old to work together

The father, son, man, woman, bride, field, mountains, sun, moon, stars, trees, beasts, lions, lambs etc are not about literal things

New and Old Treasures

Mat 13:51 Jesus said to them, Have you understood all these things? They said to Him, Yes, Lord.
Mat 13:52 And He said to them, Because of this, every scribe schooled to the kingdom of Heaven is like a man, a master of a house, who puts forth out of his treasure new and old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 02:02 PM
 
1,382 posts, read 487,568 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
These things are about the nations, that will rule in the kingdom.

The scriptures are prophetic using metaphoric and symbolic language...... the new and old to work together

The father, son, man, woman, bride, field, mountains, sun, moon, stars, trees, beasts, lions, lambs etc are not about literal things

New and Old Treasures

Mat 13:51 Jesus said to them, Have you understood all these things? They said to Him, Yes, Lord.
Mat 13:52 And He said to them, Because of this, every scribe schooled to the kingdom of Heaven is like a man, a master of a house, who puts forth out of his treasure new and old.

It kind of depends on what "kingdom" you are talking about. The kingdoms, such as the heads of the beasts (Revelation 17:3 & 9) & (Revelation 13:1) are with respect to the kingdoms under the authority of the "dragon"/devil (Revelation 13:4). As for the kingdom of God, which will take effect in the 7th millennium, it will be the "Word of God" which will rule the "nations" (Revelation 19:13-15).

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-22-2018 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: Read the rules. Don't use red text.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 02:11 PM
 
1,382 posts, read 487,568 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You're are only fooling yourself. If a person believes, as zthatzmanz28 does, that the Scriptures are worthless, then that person is rejecting the authority of God's word and simply does not have much of a relationship with God.

Actually, "Scripture", used by Yeshua, the "Law and the prophets" "can not be broken" (John 10:35). As for "scripture" built around the "worthless shepherd" of Zechariah 11:17, Peter, known as the NT, that would be a combination of the "tare seed" and the "wheat seed". One must sift the chaff from the wheat. The overall teachings of the nations/Gentiles, will be deemed as "falsehood" after the "day of distress" (Jeremiah 16:19) by the survivors among the nations (Zechariah 14:16).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 02:46 PM
 
Location: New Zealand
4,243 posts, read 656,384 times
Reputation: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
It kind of depends on what "kingdom" you are talking about. The kingdoms, such as the heads of the beasts (Revelation 17:3 & 9) & (Revelation 13:1) are with respect to the kingdoms under the authority of the "dragon"/devil (Revelation 13:4). As for the kingdom of God, which will take effect in the 7th millennium, it will be the "Word of God" which will rule the "nations" (Revelation 19:13-15).
That is what beheading is about

Rev 11:15 And the seventh angel trumpeted. And there were great voices in Heaven, saying, The kingdoms of the world became our Lord's, even of His Christ; and He shall reign to the ages of the ages.

Rev 17:18 And the woman whom you saw is the great city, having a kingdom over the kings of the earth.

Rev 1:5 even from Jesus Christ the Faithful Witness, the First-born out of the dead, and the Ruler of the kings of the earth. To Him loving us and washing us from our sins by His blood,
Rev 1:6 and made us kings and priests to God, even His Father. To Him is the glory and the might forever and ever. Amen.

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat on them. And judgment was given to them, and the souls of the ones having been beheaded because of the witness of Jesus, and because of the Word of God, and who had not worshiped the beast nor its image, and had not received the mark on their forehead and on their hand. And they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 02:58 PM
Status: "Roaming around your head-nothing here to see." (set 4 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,365 posts, read 8,905,753 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..
You would know NOTHING of Jesus without the scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 03:13 PM
 
1,382 posts, read 487,568 times
Reputation: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..

Can you give us a chapter and verse? What Yeshua said was that no one knows the Father but the son, and anyone he wants to reveal Him (Matthew 11:27), and apparently, that would preclude any one thinking themselves "wise and intelligent" (Matthew 11:25).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 04:40 PM
 
Location: New England
32,238 posts, read 21,119,376 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Can you give us a chapter and verse? What Yeshua said was that no one knows the Father but the son, and anyone he wants to reveal Him (Matthew 11:27), and apparently, that would preclude any one thinking themselves "wise and intelligent" (Matthew 11:25).
Jesus Christ never said the scriptures are worthess, but they may as well have been if they are not interpreted in spirit and truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2018, 05:19 PM
 
950 posts, read 145,177 times
Reputation: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
no, saying what Christ said, SCRIPTURES are worthless..it is the relationship with god that matters, not the written word..
Jesus came to spread scripture. He said so himself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top