U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2018, 02:26 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I clearly see that all of Scripture is inspired by God and applicable to all people of all times.
Only those who are foolishly wise in their own conceit, imagine it was only written by and for "ignorant ancients and goat herders who wrote about things they didn't understand."
Hi jg,
I don't think I am wise in my own conceit...far from it...i know very little ...but God gave me a brain...and tho some things are wonderfully inspired in the Bible, thank God...
some things have not been.
Innocently, superstitious interpretations were told around the campfire and then
written that are believed today.
Sad, but obvious...
one need only look at Psalm 46 of the KJV, to see how 'men in power' with their own motives changed the Bible. Grrr....you think that makes me happy? No Way!

Then you have the controversy of Psalm 22...Oh how I wish the Bible was written by the Holy Spirit in
total Truth and Wisdom, unaltered by humans!!!!!!!
How simple it all would be!

It is not the Lord Almighty I have any issue with, it is man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2018, 02:28 PM

4,227 posts, read 650,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
You don't even know what it means to be the way. It's not as man thinks.

Why would Jesus refer to himself in the third person or speak of the son of man come eating and drinking.

Jesus spoke in a way that was veiled so only those who follow can see.
The problem is “Jesus” did not write the gospels or the letters to the churches, they were written to fulfill the law and prophets

By the same inspiration that came to the prophets of Old.

These things refer to the nations being built and are not about individuals

Old 12-25-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I clearly see that all of Scripture is inspired by God and applicable to all people of all times.
I thought about what you wrote, jg, "clearly"... "all of scripture is inspired by God....
to "all....of all times"
Can anyone really say this? I admit it was useful for those folks at that time....esp to keep them healthy.
But: Lev...
Burning any yeast or honey in offerings to God (2:11)
Failing to include salt in offerings to God (2:13)
Eating fat (3:17) That one’s “a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, wherever you live.” All fat is to be saved for offerings to God.
Touching an unclean animal (5:2)
NIV translates this as touching “the carcass” of an unclean animal.
And many more verses that gets tiring to repeat.

All people for all times? The NFL is in trouble.
You see why many say you need to use discernment in reading the Bible?
This is not a bad thing to look more closely at the Bible....people are not full of conceit, for pete's sake.
And they don't 'hate' the Bible, either.

When one looks at their anger more closely...it becomes apparent the basis of their belief system
is being questioned or challenged ...so? Is it that fragile?
No reason for name calling on either side ...(that you are stupid or the others are filled with conceit.)
My take.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:31 PM

20,352 posts, read 9,819,192 times
Quote:
I clearly see that all of Scripture is inspired by God and applicable to all people of all times. Only those who are foolishly wise in their own conceit, imagine it was only written by and for "ignorant ancients and goat herders who wrote about things they didn't understand."
Satan, devils and demons, Oh My!

It appears that much of what was written was for their day, predicated on their understanding.

Old 12-25-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
It appears that much of what was written was for their day,
predicated on their understanding.
I know, that's all...it doesn't make us conceited.
jg....interested in changing that?

Old 12-25-2018, 03:41 PM

936 posts, read 143,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Jesus alone is the way to the Father and to eternal life as He Himself said.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.
That leaves you out. You are neither the way, or a way to the Father or to eternal life.

People have speculated on why Jesus referred to himself in the third person. But that he did is undeniable. In his high priestly prayer recorded in John 17:1-26 Jesus refers to himself both in the first person and third person.
If the Son frees you, you shall truly be free.

In order to be free you must become the son, the servant of God.
Jesus called himself the light of the world and His followers the light of the world and the son of man gives those who follow him the same glory he has so they can become one with the Father and of course one with Jesus.

I'm not trying to be Jesus just do what He commanded. To be sent as He was sent with the same words.

But you go ahead and follow the religion that lead you into chaos.

Anyone who rejects me rejects the one sent me and anyone who rejects my word rejects the word of him who sent me.

Whoever loves me keeps my word.

If you loved Jesus you would keep my word. The reason you do not love me is you do not keep the word of the one who sent me.

As Jesus said; "If they have kept my word they will keep yours."

That can only mean that the words are the same since He gave His followers the same words and told them to abide, continue or remain in His word.

Old 12-25-2018, 04:09 PM

21,814 posts, read 16,678,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free4you View Post
If the Son frees you, you shall truly be free.

In order to be free you must become the son, the servant of God.
Jesus called himself the light of the world and His followers the light of the world and the son of man gives those who follow him the same glory he has so they can become one with the Father and of course one with Jesus.

I'm not trying to be Jesus just do what He commanded. To be sent as He was sent with the same words.

But you go ahead and follow the religion that lead you into chaos.

Anyone who rejects me rejects the one sent me and anyone who rejects my word rejects the word of him who sent me.

Whoever loves me keeps my word.

If you loved Jesus you would keep my word. The reason you do not love me is you do not keep the word of the one who sent me.

As Jesus said; "If they have kept my word they will keep yours."

That can only mean that the words are the same since He gave His followers the same words and told them to abide, continue or remain in His word.
Doing what Jesus commanded doesn't mean mindlessly parroting his words. And you have ignored the fact that John 17 shows Jesus speaking both in the third person and the first person which of course refutes your claim that Jesus didn't refer to himself in the third person.

Old 12-25-2018, 05:25 PM

11,174 posts, read 10,993,793 times
Quote:
It was the apostles, and close associates of the apostles, who wrote the New Testament which contain the teachings that you reject, such as the ones I listed in post #272. I'll repeat the list.
Do you believe that Jesus died on the cross to pay the penalty for our sins?

Do you believe that you must place your faith in Jesus in order to be saved from the lake of fire?

Do you believe that Jesus is God as the Bible says?

Do you believe that Jesus was physically and bodily resurrected on the third day after His crucifixion?

Do you believe that to be absent from the body is to be at home with the Lord who is at the right hand of the Father in heaven? And I'm talking about physical death.

Do you believe that the believer is going to be physically and bodily resurrected?

Do you believe that Jesus is going to physically return to the earth and establish His kingdom on the earth?

These are examples of apostolic teachings. To the extent that a person doesn't believe these and other teachings, that person rejects the apostolic teachings.
Why do you think that God has a checklist? Do you really think that St. Peter is standing at the Pearly Gates to stop anybody that only believes 5 out of your list of 7 beliefs?

Old 12-25-2018, 05:52 PM

936 posts, read 143,667 times
Quote:
Doing what Jesus commanded doesn't mean mindlessly parroting his words. And you have ignored the fact that John 17 shows Jesus speaking both in the third person and the first person which of course refutes your claim that Jesus didn't refer to himself in the third person.
It is not mindlessly parroting His words. That is not possible.

I have read and posted John 17. Clearly you are not allowed to see. God has blinded you because you fail His commission.

In John 17 Jesus is speaking for Himself and all the prophets.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Moderator cut: Quoted post deleted due to political content.
"That he may do no harm"...Oooo, pretty bad stuff.

Last edited by mensaguy; 12-25-2018 at 06:04 PM.. Reason: Quoted post removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or