U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:28 PM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
WELL! Jerwade, that was worth waiting for.
I had to drive to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona early this morning. And will be headed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, November 5, 2018. My granddaughter (6) has to undergo a couple procedures while under general anesthesia regarding her gastrointestinal tract and lungs, both will be done at the same time.

Hopefully, everything will be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2018, 09:55 PM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,064 posts, read 54,565,498 times
Reputation: 66418
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
But in no way is defensible or moral. They might as well be saying that their god has to lower itself to their level.
It might be more accurate to say that their god reflected who they were.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 12:23 AM
 
8,671 posts, read 3,104,242 times
Reputation: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I had to drive to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona early this morning. And will be headed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, November 5, 2018. My granddaughter (6) has to undergo a couple procedures while under general anesthesia regarding her gastrointestinal tract and lungs, both will be done at the same time.

Hopefully, everything will be fine.
Sorry you fell for a snare.
Yet for some strange reason I hear hope is like a person who dragged the devil out.

And was like.
Look what I caught
.
Have you ever been given a compliment sir?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 12:52 AM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,825,009 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
WELL! Jerwade, that was worth waiting for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I had to drive to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona early this morning. And will be headed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, November 5, 2018. My granddaughter (6) has to undergo a couple procedures while under general anesthesia regarding her gastrointestinal tract and lungs, both will be done at the same time.

Hopefully, everything will be fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Sorry you fell for a snare.
Yet for some strange reason I hear hope is like a person who dragged the devil out.

And was like.
Look what I caught
.
Have you ever been given a compliment sir?
No problem with what Miss Hepburn says/said or the compliment, but what you say is incomprehensible? However, feel free to explain it, if you desire. Right now, I have other things on my mind besides you thinking I may have been rude? If that is what you were thinking? I was merely letting her know that I would have responded sooner. But I am glad she appreciated what was written. For some reason, you have this need to go to the aid of women who are not in danger of being mistreated?

Last edited by Jerwade; 10-27-2018 at 01:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 01:22 AM
 
Location: California USA
927 posts, read 625,371 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I mean, is there something others just do not understand, but you think you do?

Or do most miss something you 'get'?

Do you think something is misinterpreted?

I know this could go south fast...I hope it doesn't...I believe people have different or even great insights into
some things others have overlooked or not considered.

What profound understandings have some missed, in your opinion?
Sometimes where a coma is placed changes the meaning of an entire quote, for example.
Inspired by some 'new takes' on another thread.
Thanks.
Approach the Bible understanding the historical and cultural background of the author and who the audience was. What were the beliefs of the people of that time. Let the text guide your conclusion. Others approach a text in the Bible with a preconceived notion or idea and interpret a text.

I get the relationship between God and Jesus and that Jesus is not God.

It's described as that between a Father and Son for a reason.

Reading John 1:1 people will come away with the thinking that Jesus is God

However John also wrote what Jesus said about himself

"The Father is greater than I." -John 14:28
"I am ascending to my Father and your Father, my God and your God."-John 20:17

I think Mark 9:47,48 is misinterpreted. The earliest copies of the Bible do not have the word hell in the text. The original word Jesus used was Gehenna. Here's an example of understanding the historical context and audience. Jesus is speaking to a Jewish audience. There were no mainstream Christians around. Jews up to Jesus's day believed that death was the end of their existence. No afterlife. No hell fire. There was, however, belief in a resurrection. What Jesus was telling them is some (including some religious leaders of their time) would not experience a resurrection. Gehenna was a reference to a garbage dump outside of Jerusalem (Valley of Hinnom). The unfaithful ancestors of the Jews did something reprehensible to God in that valley, sacrificing people by fire. Read Jeremiah 7:31. His audience understood he was not telling them about burning people alive eternally. Rather he quotes from Isaiah 66:24. Here Isaiah describes the destruction of a corpse it's either by putrification or fire. The only survivors would be the fire or maggots not man. There was no escaping the destruction that both these elements wrought. So his audience understood that he was referring to total destruction from which resurrection was not possible.

There's also the parable of Lazarus and the rich man in Luke 16:19-31. Is Jesus talking about hell? Context is key and what his audience believed at that time. No concept of hell fire because mainstream Christians weren't around. Parables are by definition fictional characters and fictional settings and used to teach a point. The place is not literal. How do we know its a parable? other than being careful about the context and taking into account the audience we read that Jesus would not teach the crowds without using parables and illustrations-Matthew 13:34,35

IMHO many have missed understanding what is the Kingdom of God. Is it real or is it just something in ourselves or a warm fuzzy ideal? Daniel wrote about it as something real-Daniel 2:44. Jesus instructed his followers to pray for its coming and in order of importance its at the start of the Our Father prayer-Matthew 6:9,10 Jesus made it the main theme of his preaching because it really means good news for mankind-Luke 4:43. And, Jesus said that preaching about it worldwide would continue until just before the end-Matthew 24:14
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 01:56 AM
 
3,655 posts, read 1,135,784 times
Reputation: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
No,
Bloodthirsty only reflects those who love as Cain loved.

Abstain from blood.
For vengeance is the Lords.

Lol now go baith in the blood of Jesus and have a nice big glass of jesus’s blood and while your at it have a chunk of jesus body to chew on.

Lol bloodthirsty

amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Whereever we have our RV parked
8,784 posts, read 7,704,486 times
Reputation: 15057
Im always amazed when people go to a funeral, and they always say the the guest of honir is in abetter place, even if they were complerely unrelugious. Have they never heard that the vast majority go to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 05:56 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,377 posts, read 12,129,606 times
Reputation: 16624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I had to drive to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona early this morning. And will be headed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, November 5, 2018. My granddaughter (6) has to undergo a couple procedures while under general anesthesia regarding her gastrointestinal tract and lungs, both will be done at the same time.

Hopefully, everything will be fine.
Oh boy, it's hard seeing cute little kids go thru this stuff...best wishes.


hd4me, Great input, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:25 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I had to drive to Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Arizona early this morning. And will be headed to Phoenix Children’s Hospital, November 5, 2018. My granddaughter (6) has to undergo a couple procedures while under general anesthesia regarding her gastrointestinal tract and lungs, both will be done at the same time.

Hopefully, everything will be fine.
Hoping with you. ((Hugs))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2018, 06:29 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Im always amazed when people go to a funeral, and they always say the the guest of honir is in abetter place, even if they were complerely unrelugious. Have they never heard that the vast majority go to hell.
Is that what you tell grieving family members, pastor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top