Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2018, 01:54 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
I remember a discussion I was part of, regarding what different religions call their god; what different leaders and/or prophets are important to that religion as a pathway and link to God. I see a sunrise, I thank God. Maybe halfway around the world, someone with a different language sees a sunset and thanks their god in their words. I believe we are thanking the same god; that it doesn't matter to God what we call him, he just wants us to call him.

Perhaps when it comes to the Bible, God is fine if we interpret it in different ways, as long our understanding of it comes back to his core desire of what he wants for us. ?To love those around us and help each other as best we can¿
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2018, 02:57 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I mean, is there something others just do not understand, but you think you do?

Or do most miss something you 'get'?

Do you think something is misinterpreted?

I know this could go south fast...I hope it doesn't...I believe people have different or even great insights into
some things others have overlooked or not considered.

What profound understandings have some missed, in your opinion?
Sometimes where a coma is placed changes the meaning of an entire quote, for example.
Inspired by some 'new takes' on another thread.
Thanks.

The teachings of Jesus--

1) Matthew 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking- FIRST- the kingdom and his ( YHVH(Jehovah) righteousness and all these other things will be added to you( sustenance, covering, spirituality) Matt 6

2) Hallowed be thy(Father) name- YHVH(Jehovah)

3) Matthew 5:5--Happy are the meek for they will inherit the earth.

4) Jesus teaches he has a God, his Father--John 20:17, Rev 3:12

5)Jesus calls the one who sent him( John 5:30) THE ONLY TRUE GOD( John 17:3, 6, 26) and one must know him as that and know Jesus to get eternal life. Verse 6= YHVH(Jehovah) 26= YHVH(Jehovah)

6)bottom line reality of a true followers life= John 4:22-24

Jesus warned he wouldnt be known-John 15:20-21)

Old 11-08-2018, 06:20 AM

3,671 posts, read 2,244,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The teachings of Jesus--

5)Jesus calls the one who sent him( John 5:30) THE ONLY TRUE GOD( John 17:3, 6, 26) and one must know him as that and know Jesus to get eternal life. Verse 6= YHVH(Jehovah) 26= YHVH(Jehovah)
Hi, mind if I respond to your post. like our Father, the Spirit, the Holy Spirit, I'll start from the last and move to the first.

your #5. John 17:3 "And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent".

see that conjunction there "and" between the only true God, and Jesus Christ. is this not referencing the SAME PERSON. meaning the conjunction "and" connect the "only true God" to "Jesus Christ". yes or no,

if you say no, then please explaine this to me. James 1:27 "Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world".

God "and" the Father, is this two separate persons, separated by the conjunction "and"?.

what you say?.... I'll be looking for your answer, thanks in advance.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:58 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,309,269 times
Quote:

I know this could go south fast...I hope it doesn't...I believe people have different or even great insights into

Sometimes where a coma is placed changes the meaning of an entire quote, for example.
Thanks.

I was just considering (I don't really think) about this question the other day while I was putting on a performance of the immaculate conception - the bible was written past-tense. Everything had happened, and persons looked back at it in 20/20 hindsight. There were no questions, no tension-filled moments, no persons fraught with anxiety - there was the simple flow of people with the spirit, right?

Now imagine a young woman in 3 BC Israel who is settling into her room for another nights rest - bam! The room lights up, a presence fills the room, and she is talking with Gabriel. "You're going to be pregnant" - 'I know, I am marrying Joseph.' "No, right now, when a cloud fills the room." That's not how you get pregnant." It is now. 'OK, I will be the handmaiden of G-d.'

A few days later, 'Joey, guess what?' What? 'I'm pregnant!' It wasn't by me, let me introduce you to Mr. Rock (by stoning). 'No, you don't understand, a cloud passed over me' That's not how you get pregnant, let me tell your Dad and we will introduce you to Mr. Rock.

The two men confer, suggest she may have gotten this story twisted, but are willing to put her away for infidelity. Joseph now falls asleep. In a dream, it is revealed he will be the child's step-father, but indeed, this is a child from G-d. Joey's good with it, gets more contracts to build more houses (because the family needs to survive with a greater income) and then suddenly, a knock on the door - you got a tax bill due in Bethlehem. Joey said, 'I was due to start tomorrow and I had a major source of income, but now I got this tax over my head. Let's go pay the bill, I'll explain I am taking a bit of leave of absence, and I'll come back shortly to start this contracting job.' They go to Bethlehem, she delivers, the child is seen in awe, and Joey falls asleep again.

You have to leave this area, someone's gonna kill your child. 'Fine, where?' Egypt. 'Egypt? At best I'll be an immigrant day laborer standing on the corner, I had a good contract to care for my family back home, I only came here to pay the taxes...' Go to Egypt.

He goes, makes a living for himself. Three years later he's told to return and set up business again. But no one will trust me because I ran out on my last contracts, moving to Egypt from Bethlehem instead of returning to my home. So I gotta set up a business again?'

When a book is written in hindsight, it doesn't talk about the terror of the moment, the waiting in anticipation, the current difficulties of society, the full zeitgeist of the situation. There were days and nights, weeks of terror, and a perspective that stated, 'I made it through.' I think we lose the idea that true faith or perseverance more often than not looks like Job, and the true struggle is more salient to our experience than just floating on a whim or a fancy.

When this performance was provided, it was in an open air theater, the actors came in yelling their parts, and the play (<5 minutes) was well-received. But this experience was very different than the one we often see/feel is portrayed through the scriptures, which we take to be without affect, just as it was written, and without any other sense of trepidation, tension, or days of distress.

That's what I see in the scriptures - read now for over 40 years, taken with an understanding of Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic, and infused with the gestalt of culture, patriarchy, and context of Middle Eastern mores. When read like this, it is truly alive.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:35 PM

1,382 posts, read 768,283 times
Quote:

Thanks.

Daniel 12:9-10 says it all. The "wicked"/sinners, will not "understand", even at the "end of the age"/"the end of time".

Old 12-18-2018, 01:06 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Daniel 12:9-10 says it all. The "wicked"/sinners, will not "understand", even at the "end of the age"/"the end of time".
YOU can easily be wicked and sinful in thought as those you look upon to be wicked and sinners. This is in the bible in Matt 6. If you cannot see basic truth like this, how on earth are you going to be able to see in the scriptures what others do or that which is not in seemingly within the scriptures, that others do?.

Old 12-18-2018, 02:46 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
"It is finished." It's already been done. You don't need to earn any favor, or live up to a crazy standard. Nothing in the future you have to accomplish. There is a battle that lies ahead, but the war is already won.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
YOU can easily be wicked and sinful in thought as those you look upon to be wicked and sinners. This is in the bible in Matt 6. If you cannot see basic truth like this, how on earth are you going to be able to see in the scriptures what others do or that which is not in seemingly within the scriptures, that others do?.

Matthew 6:1-2 is about "practicing righteousness before others", such as giving "alms" with the sound of trumpets. Your "alms" should be given in "secret" (Matthew 6:3). On the other hand, if one repents, confesses their sins, and does not produce good fruit, they will be "cut down" and "thrown into the fire" (Matthew 3:10). Give your alms, and "fast" in a way, not to be seen by men (Matthew 6:18). As for "sin", that is transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4), and "sin is lawlessness", the way of Paul. (Romans 7:6 & 19).

Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
"It is finished." It's already been done. You don't need to earn any favor, or live up to a crazy standard. Nothing in the future you have to accomplish. There is a battle that lies ahead, but the war is already won.

The "battle" is ongoing. Matthew 6:10,"Thy kingdom come. They will be done, on earth as it is in heaven". Heavenly battles are won by fasting and prayer. (Matthew 4:2) & (Daniel 10:3 & 13)
The war on earth, Har-Magedon (Revelation 16:13-16), hasn't been fought. It certainly was not won by 1/3 of mankind who are to be "killed". And the suffering hasn't even begun for the survivors, who "did not repent" (Revelation 9:21).

Old 12-18-2018, 04:59 PM

10,036 posts, read 4,965,651 times
Quote:
Do you think something is misinterpreted?.
I think when Jesus is speaking of ' everlasting life ' clergy put in people's mind that is only in Heaven.
I think people often miss that Jesus promised that humble meek people will inherit the Earth.
People don't get that the wonderful healthy conditions of Isaiah 35th chapter will be taking place on Earth.
People give No thought about why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Rev. 22:20 for Jesus to come !
We don't pray to be 'taken up' to God's kingdom, nor do we pray to be 'taken away' to God's kingdom but for it to come.
That God's kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 to come and govern over Earth so that mankind can see the return of the Genesis "Tree of Life" of Rev. 22:2 for the healing of earth's nations. Healing earth's nations right here on Earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity