U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 01:41 AM

15,395 posts, read 12,143,677 times

Advertisements

I mean, is there something others just do not understand, but you think you do?

Or do most miss something you 'get'?

Do you think something is misinterpreted?

I know this could go south fast...I hope it doesn't...I believe people have different or even great insights into
some things others have overlooked or not considered.

What profound understandings have some missed, in your opinion?
Sometimes where a coma is placed changes the meaning of an entire quote, for example.
Inspired by some 'new takes' on another thread.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2018, 02:53 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,918,022 times
total and absolute unconditional LOVE, MERCY, and JUSTICE...only I have never seen justice as being vengeful or vindictive.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,234,478 times
The complete and total sovereignty of God. The total depravity of man. The unconditional election, by God, of those who would be saved. The limited atonement for sin by the crucified Christ for the elect, and only the elect. The irresistible grace of God, sometimes referred to as an irresistible call to repentance and belief. The eternal security of those elect individuals called to salvation.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:42 AM

107 posts, read 22,867 times
That the BIBLE is the "word of God." Tell me how Lot offering up his daughters to be gang raped to protect a couple of strangers, is the Word of God. Tell me how Lot getting drunk and having sex with his daughters is the "Word of God." Tell me how murderous King David, after getting his best captains wife pregnant while he was off at war, then sending him off to be killed in order to marry her, is "The Word of God."

Look, the prisons are full of people who did great wrongs and then repented, but they still had to pay for their crimes. These people were never held responsible for their actions. How is this "The Word of God?"

Old 10-25-2018, 06:53 AM

3,671 posts, read 1,539,355 times
Great topic Miss H.

No this topic will not go south. I agree with all the above posters, but may I add one thing, "to KNOW him". this is what Love and mercy, and Justic is all about.

there are degrees of Love, and mercy, and Justice, in all of "US", but to KNOW his love, his Mercy, and his Justic is beyound the comprehension that is currently "IN US". I believe that's why he put us in his Garden to learn of HIM.

I believe if we would had LEARN of him totally we would not have division and injustices, Loveless peoples, and none merciful people like "US", self included, today.

we all look for something better, as the apostle Paul said, "to KNOW HIM and the POWER of his resurrection and the fellowship that's in HIM". Philippians 3:10 (kjv).

and to KNOW is NOT to be ignorant as also the apostle say, "I have you not ignorant".

for ignorance breeds, 1 Timothy 1:13 "Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief".

this is what I KNOW that has made me "FREE" is the fellowship so far with HIM. I have began to read the bible for myself WITH HIM, striving NOT to be ignorant in HIM. for every son should strive to please their Father.

as you said in your topic, "What do you see in the Bible you think others don't see?", answer
not a Doctrin, nor a Theology of man, but "HIM", and US "with" HIM. having a great fellowship, that makes the enjoyment of the relationship perfect.

this is what I see in the bible, a fellowship that makes a perfect relationship enjoyable in HIM, and my fellow sisters and brothers. that's why I'm so happy and free, because of "HIM", and to Knowing "HIM".

if we turn out attention to "HIM" our little petty stuff and divisions evaporate.

this is what I see in the bible that I think other might not see. FREEDOM with GOD and IN GOD.

PICYJAG

Old 10-25-2018, 08:00 AM

15,395 posts, read 12,143,677 times
Ha, anyone catch I wrote coma, instead of comma. Freudian slip? Lol.

Old 10-25-2018, 09:04 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,174,245 times
To me one of the most misused and misunderstood passages of the bible is this:

28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Why does the translator capitalize "the One"? They assume it refers to God; however, in context, as I read it, it most certainly does not refer to God. The very next 2 sentences in that passage contradict that possibility:

“Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."

And then there is the passage that tells you who DOES kill and destroy, and it ain't God.:

“The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
And as for this: Matthew 10:28 - And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

The point is, other people can harm your body, but only you can harm your soul. If we have anything to fear, then, it's the beliefs we hold which are destructive to ourselves. But, of course, there's no need to fear, because, as even a few verses after this passage assures, all are valued by God, and once you know that, you understand that there is NOTHING that can pluck you from the hands of the God who is love.
And, of course, the word erroneously translated as "hell" in that passage is actually the valley of Gehenna, not a place of eternal torment.

Last edited by Pleroo; 10-25-2018 at 09:16 AM..

Old 10-25-2018, 09:52 AM

25,836 posts, read 13,426,503 times
I see stories written by primitive men which try to explain things they don't understand.

Some people read those stories and determine they are not only true, but ultra-super-really-really-true. So, to them, the word "gospel" has become synonymous with "truth" -- to the detriment of many millions of people worldwide.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I see stories written by primitive men which try to explain things they don't understand.

Some people read those stories and determine they are not only true, but ultra-super-really-really-true. So, to them, the word "gospel" has become synonymous with "truth" -- to the detriment of many millions of people worldwide.
Well, yeah, there's that. I think a lot of people see that, though. You ain't special Trout.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

I do think, though, that there is good news (gospel) buried in the field that is the bible. Or the seed of good news, anyway … the understanding that God wasn't some angry, jealous being in the sky with an arbitrary list of rules, ready to zap people for perceived slights. It had to be couched in terms that people then might understand, but I do think the Jesus narrative has been instrumental in some people coming out from under that burden, more and more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or