U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 07:42 AM

32,222 posts, read 21,094,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post

Many equate faith and belief. They are not the same. Faith requires knowledge of who Jesus is (God) and what He has done (sacrifice). We also need to trust in Jesus and that His will be done. Thirdly, we must agree with the knowledge that we have about Jesus (Scripture).
That is not true, that is a belief. The evidence of faith is works.

Read this below and learn

a lesson in faith - the charles blondin story
-- Author unknown

The amazing story of Charles Blondin, a famous French tightrope walker, is a wonderful illustration of what true faith is.

Blondin's greatest fame came on September 14, 1860, when he became the first person to cross a tightrope stretched 11,000 feet (over a quarter of a mile) across the mighty Niagara Falls. People from both Canada and America came from miles away to see this great feat.

He walked across, 160 feet above the falls, several times... each time with a different daring feat - once in a sack, on stilts, on a bicycle, in the dark, and blindfolded. One time he even carried a stove and cooked an omelet in the middle of the rope!

A large crowd gathered and the buzz of excitement ran along both sides of the river bank. The crowd “Oohed and Aahed!” as Blondin carefully walked across - one dangerous step after another - pushing a wheelbarrow holding a sack of potatoes.

Then a one point, he asked for the participation of a volunteer. Upon reaching the other side, the crowd's applause was louder than the roar of the falls!

Blondin suddenly stopped and addressed his audience: "Do you believe I can carry a person across in this wheelbarrow?"

The crowd enthusiastically yelled, "Yes! You are the greatest tightrope walker in the world. We believe!"

"Okay," said Blondin, "Who wants to get into the wheelbarrow."

As far as the Blondin story goes, no one did at the time

A Lesson in Faith - The Charles Blondin Story | Inspire 21
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 07:53 AM

954 posts, read 241,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
That is not true, that is a belief. The evidence of faith is works.

Read this below and learn

a lesson in faith - the charles blondin story
-- Author unknown

The amazing story of Charles Blondin, a famous French tightrope walker, is a wonderful illustration of what true faith is.

Blondin's greatest fame came on September 14, 1860, when he became the first person to cross a tightrope stretched 11,000 feet (over a quarter of a mile) across the mighty Niagara Falls. People from both Canada and America came from miles away to see this great feat.

He walked across, 160 feet above the falls, several times... each time with a different daring feat - once in a sack, on stilts, on a bicycle, in the dark, and blindfolded. One time he even carried a stove and cooked an omelet in the middle of the rope!

A large crowd gathered and the buzz of excitement ran along both sides of the river bank. The crowd “Oohed and Aahed!” as Blondin carefully walked across - one dangerous step after another - pushing a wheelbarrow holding a sack of potatoes.

Then a one point, he asked for the participation of a volunteer. Upon reaching the other side, the crowd's applause was louder than the roar of the falls!

Blondin suddenly stopped and addressed his audience: "Do you believe I can carry a person across in this wheelbarrow?"

The crowd enthusiastically yelled, "Yes! You are the greatest tightrope walker in the world. We believe!"

"Okay," said Blondin, "Who wants to get into the wheelbarrow."

As far as the Blondin story goes, no one did at the time

A Lesson in Faith - The Charles Blondin Story | Inspire 21

Misdirection by picking one element of the three and declaring it to be false. All three elements are needed for faith; knowledge, trust, and agreement.

Whether the action of taking writings out of context is done by accident or purposely is for us to discern.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:03 AM

27,954 posts, read 15,039,743 times
Quote:
Faith in Jesus is essential to be save from eternal damnation.

Many equate faith and belief. They are not the same. Faith requires knowledge of who Jesus is (God) and what He has done (sacrifice). We also need to trust in Jesus and that His will be done. Thirdly, we must agree with the knowledge that we have about Jesus (Scripture).

The three elements of faith, knowledge, trust, and agreement, are the keys to salvation. All work in unison in order for you to accept and be granted the most important gift of all, eternal life. It is the most important decision in your life.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
After you receive Jesus by faith, you MUST become obedient to His teachings. Faith without obedience is not the narrow road that leads to eternal life.
I thought you christians weren’t under the law anymore?...

Old 10-27-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
No. Faith is not a hallmark greeting card. The faithful are commanded to Love by Christ. He is the One that we Elect know , believe, and trust
The Elect spoken of are actually the Jews...

Old 10-27-2018, 11:50 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Those damn fundamentalists!
Fundies are fine...it's just when they want to push their beliefs, esp about hell, onto non-Christians.
(Esp thinking they have never read or heard that before.)
This is what I have seen, anyway.
I don't think anyone truly cares if they think we have only been on earth 6000 yrs.
And if they give Fundies guff on that ...well, bad on them.

Old 10-27-2018, 11:52 AM

20,352 posts, read 9,815,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
What is faith that saves from eternal damnation?

James 2
[14] What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
[15] If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
[16] And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
[17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
[18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
[19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
Faith does not reside in fear, it's built on the foundation of love.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:07 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,114,801 times
I would like to give my 2 cents on faith and belief...and this took me a year to really 'get'.
As some rerm, I do healings by the grace of God, doesn't have much to do with me, that is a given....
This is what I have to work with if the person is conscious...their subconscious beliefs deeply embedded...
Examples:" I have faith in God that He is all powerful and can heal me." (ok, great) What they don't realize is:
Their belief system may be this: " God won't heal me. God is punishing me I have been SO bad." (sigh)
"I deserve this" (oy vey)
"I don't want to bother God with my cancer, He has enough to do."
And the list goes on...as they are saying the words to me, 'I have faith in God, always have; He is everywhere, loving and good"....and so on.
Their faith is fine.
Their beliefs are nuts.
Do they have a healing? Nope....they are double minded (James)....Oh, the work to reeducate them!

Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM

32,222 posts, read 21,094,471 times
Quote:
Misdirection by picking one element of the three and declaring it to be false. All three elements are needed for faith; knowledge, trust, and agreement.

Whether the action of taking writings out of context is done by accident or purposely is for us to discern.
If your belief about what faith is, is wrong, then everything built on it falls with it.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:13 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,895,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Post #27
that just provided some one's idea of FAITH, where is the definition for belief and how that is different..

[14] What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
[15] If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
[16] And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
[17] Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. Paul said works are worthless...
[18] Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
[19] Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble. Still, nothing that distinguishes FAITH from BELIEF..

Even Paulie said FAITH is second rate----

But now faith, hope, love, abide these three; but the greatest of these is love.

It is obvious Jesus had ZERO FAITH in us, but He has a never ending LOVE for us..

LOVE WINS, LOVE WILL NEVER FAIL..

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 10-27-2018 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or