U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,411 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Reputation: 16636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
Miss Hepburn, I see you are a Seinfeld fan, me to.
My name online was Elaine B, forever, with a photo of Elaine with either coffee or a cigar....but too often 'Elaine ' was taken!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:11 AM
Status: "Roaming around your head-nothing here to see." (set 7 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,365 posts, read 8,908,143 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I had to think on this a bit. I came up with 1 in under a half an hour and I can imagine God had other options at his disposal.

He could have created us with the ability to see the outcomes of our actions perfectly without ignorance so we can really choose the best course. If Adam and Eve had it to do over again do you think they would eat the fruit? My guess is no because Eve was deceived.
We already have that ability. God told Adam & Eve what would happen either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:16 AM
 
Location: minnesota
6,348 posts, read 2,126,123 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We already have that ability. God told Adam & Eve what would happen either way.
If Eve KNEW how could she be deceived? You think she chose to have things turn out this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,177,909 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You're welcome. I'd like to hear your add to that. I added to that sometimes I was the empty boat ramming others so it's all a wash in the end. Holding onto my ramming of others was holding on to my being rammed and vise versa.
I don't think I can add. It's good the way it is. Honestly, my biggest issue has always been coming to terms with the sense that I deserved everything I got... that there was something fundamentally defective about me. This is a story that I started telling myself from early in my childhood but I used to think that it was God telling me that, through the things other people said and did to me, and through the religion I thought was truth, of course. That made me incredibly angry and severely depressed, and it took an act of God to break me free of that. Now, even realizing that it's never been God's message to me (or anyone else), which was immensely healing, the shadow of it remains, though I'm hopeful that even that will be dispelled the more often I consciously bring it to the Light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 AM
 
Location: New England
32,238 posts, read 21,123,632 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We already have that ability. God told Adam & Eve what would happen either way.
Do you know it isinstictive to do what you are told not to do?. When the commandment came sin (the desire to do and carry out what i am not to do) sprang to life in me. So we have God giving Adam and Eve a commandment not to eat of a certain tree, there was only going to be one outcome. God brought awareness to the tree that they should not eat of and then commanded them not to eat it. Of cause the story is not about 2 literal trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:37 AM
 
Location: minnesota
6,348 posts, read 2,126,123 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I don't think I can add. It's good the way it is. Honestly, my biggest issue has always been coming to terms with the sense that I deserved everything I got... that there was something fundamentally defective about me. This is a story that I started telling myself from early in my childhood but I used to think that it was God telling me that, through the things other people said and did to me, and through the religion I thought was truth, of course. That made me incredibly angry and severely depressed, and it took an act of God to break me free of that. Now, even realizing that it's never been God's message to me (or anyone else), which was immensely healing, the shadow of it remains, though I'm hopeful that even that will be dispelled the more often I consciously bring it to the Light.
Yes! It's hard for a kid to process it any other way I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:43 AM
Status: "Roaming around your head-nothing here to see." (set 7 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
16,365 posts, read 8,908,143 times
Reputation: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
If Eve KNEW how could she be deceived? You think she chose to have things turn out this way?
Are you serious? People make bad decisions all the time, knowing the likely consequences. When a man cheats on his wife, he knows he will likely be caught, but he does it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 08:46 AM
 
Location: minnesota
6,348 posts, read 2,126,123 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you serious? People make bad decisions all the time, knowing the likely consequences. When a man cheats on his wife, he knows he will likely be caught, but he does it anyway.
But we're imperfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 09:58 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
2,186 posts, read 792,126 times
Reputation: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you serious? People make bad decisions all the time, knowing the likely consequences. When a man cheats on his wife, he knows he will likely be caught, but he does it anyway.
If your god knows that it is impossible to not sin, why would he expect we ask forgiveness? He should accept responsibility for creating us the way we are. This redemption or hell nonsense is irrational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-04-2018, 10:27 AM
Status: "6' - 220" (set 10 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
25,854 posts, read 13,431,022 times
Reputation: 11686
Quote:
Originally Posted by maat55 View Post
If your god knows that it is impossible to not sin, why would he expect we ask forgiveness? He should accept responsibility for creating us the way we are. This redemption or hell nonsense is irrational.
Uh-huh. Christians sure have to come up with a lot of pretzel logic to explain their god's multiple shortcomings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top