U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-02-2018, 03:09 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Reputation: 7812

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
There was a very amazing explanation I read once as to why he did that.
I had no idea it was something I, myself, would never have understood on my own.

I will try to find it.
He was making a specific point to the disciples that were with him I recall.
surely He was, but the point is also that He knew the tree was not in season and yet He destroyed it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2018, 06:23 AM
 
107 posts, read 22,894 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
yet He cursed the fig tree for not bearing fruit?????


When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs. Then he said to the tree, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again". And his disciples heard him say it. In the morning, as they went along, they saw the fig tree withered from the roots.


How stupid is this, really???



Jesus was brilliant at making demonstrations to make a point. No one mourned the fig tree, its a tree.




By the way, I am not a Christian, but I am Christian and Buddhist simpatico in some ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 06:29 AM
 
107 posts, read 22,894 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I have seen what unforgiveness does to the unforgiving and unforgiven. Better to always walk in uncondittional forgiveness, it is far better than being eaten up alive.

Exactly, its no coincidence that Jesus made his last words as a demonstration of two of the most important things. One, that forgiveness is the ultimate healing, and two, that mans greatest stumbling block is ignorance.


"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 07:47 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,406 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Reputation: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
Exactly, its no coincidence that Jesus made his last words as a demonstration
of two of the most important things.
One, that forgiveness is the ultimate healing, and two, that mans greatest stumbling block is ignorance.

"Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing."
Oh man...you said it...actually before ME!
I was going to write how if it's hard to forgive ...to free yourself and the other person up...let go,
then, at the least see them as ignorant or dumb or wounded and acting out wrongly...(and don't
hang out with them!)
I am of the mind that they are acting out, and thus, crying out their pain, the wounds and damage done to them from others...I just was the in their line of fire.
I can't take it personally...they are just angry at 'somethin' and often way over react !!
(Whether here or in traffic or at a store.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 07:58 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,406 posts, read 12,148,879 times
Reputation: 16634
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
surely He was, but the point is also that He knew the tree was not in season and yet He destroyed it?
Looks like you want to hang onto your dislike of his action. Ok.

There are plenty of explanations as to his purpose online.
His purpose was way more meaningful to make a point with his followers present, than a small tree.
If you were to read some you would have a diff perspective. Nothing I can do, I see.
When I don't understand something, esp if it's a burr in my saddle ... my way is to learn about it...
I know ...I should get a metal.

I know, my father was a burr in my saddle for decades...until I understood why he did what he did.
I guess I just wanted to stay mad for that long...and not forgive him, truly, (tho, I said I did.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 08:07 AM
 
Location: Georgia
3,829 posts, read 1,417,408 times
Reputation: 2889
We are not capable of forgiving serious offenses without Jesus help. My ex wife helped put me in prison, and did everything she could to ruin my life. I wanted to kill her, and her boyfriend. This catastrophe led me to give my life to Christ. Yet, I still had a very difficult time forgiving her. I was told to ask His help in forgiving, and to pray for her. It took years, but I no longer have any desire for vengeance, nor do I wish her bad. Recognizing all He has forgiven me for helped, as well as simply choosing to not dwell on her or what happened. If not for Jesus influence, I would not have forgiven them, and may have tried to take revenge. That was 21 years ago, and I haven't had contact with her since. I forgive, but I don't think God wants us to go back to ingesting poison again. Her life has long since been ruined, while mine has gotten 1000% better- not because of me- but because of Jesus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 08:17 AM
 
Location: Pikeville, Ky.
13,573 posts, read 21,724,553 times
Reputation: 18115
Forgiveness is allowing the past be the past and moving on to make sure it stays there.
__________________
Moderator of:
Non Romantic Relationships
Parenting and sub forums
Dayton, Akron-Canton in Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 08:18 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,175,977 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Looks like you want to hang onto your dislike of his action. Ok.

There are plenty of explanations as to his purpose online.
His purpose was way more meaningful to make a point with his followers present, than a small tree.
If you were to read some you would have a diff perspective. Nothing I can do, I see.
When I don't understand something, esp if it's a burr in my saddle ... my way is to learn about it...
I know ...I should get a metal.

I know, my father was a burr in my saddle for decades...until I understood why he did what he did.
I guess I just wanted to stay mad for that long...and not forgive him, truly, (tho, I said I did.)
Nothing wrong with you finding something meaningful in the story. On the other hand, if killing something to make a point seems entirely out of Jesus’ character to someone then it also makes sense for them to consider the possibility that the story isn’t true or that it wasn’t one of Jesus’ shining moments. Either option is okay because neither the people who wrote these stories, nor the man Jesus, needed to be perfect in order for someone to appreciate the import of the Jesus narrative as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 08:31 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
We are not capable of forgiving serious offenses without Jesus help. My ex wife helped put me in prison, and did everything she could to ruin my life. I wanted to kill her, and her boyfriend. This catastrophe led me to give my life to Christ. Yet, I still had a very difficult time forgiving her. I was told to ask His help in forgiving, and to pray for her. It took years, but I no longer have any desire for vengeance, nor do I wish her bad. Recognizing all He has forgiven me for helped, as well as simply choosing to not dwell on her or what happened. If not for Jesus influence, I would not have forgiven them, and may have tried to take revenge. That was 21 years ago, and I haven't had contact with her since. I forgive, but I don't think God wants us to go back to ingesting poison again. Her life has long since been ruined, while mine has gotten 1000% better- not because of me- but because of Jesus!
Another "innocent" man locked up..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2018, 08:33 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,921,946 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Looks like you want to hang onto your dislike of his action. Ok.

There are plenty of explanations as to his purpose online.
His purpose was way more meaningful to make a point with his followers present, than a small tree.
If you were to read some you would have a diff perspective. Nothing I can do, I see.
When I don't understand something, esp if it's a burr in my saddle ... my way is to learn about it...
I know ...I should get a metal.

I know, my father was a burr in my saddle for decades...until I understood why he did what he did.
I guess I just wanted to stay mad for that long...and not forgive him, truly, (tho, I said I did.)
read some? if that ain't the quintessential evangelical response? roflmao...

No, I just refuse to accept the idea that god is allowed to do whatever she wants without cause or justification just because. she is god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top