U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2018, 03:48 PM

14,875 posts, read 4,982,617 times

Advertisements

Wow, outing users is shocking, I mean I wouldn't care if everyone knew my details but it is shocking that somebody else would do that.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:03 PM

5,147 posts, read 2,535,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Who do you believe are Jesus' spiritual brothers?
In a general sense Christianity is a brotherhood, so Christians are all brothers and sisters in the household of God.
Since God does the calling then it is between the called one and God who is called to Heaven and who stays on Earth.
One clue we have is when Jesus was baptized because at his point of baptism the ' heavens were opened up ' to him.
- Mark 1:9-11; Luke 4:1; Luke 3:22. Opened up to reveal heavenly life for Jesus.
Others called to heavenly life are to govern with Jesus, and are led by God's spirit as per Romans 8:14-17, 23, 26-27 as being joint-heirs with Christ (co-rulers - Rev. 5:9-10).
They are the holy ones or saints Daniel prophesied about at Daniel 7:18, 22, 25, 27. So Jesus does Not govern alone.
God adopts or does the choosing as to who are Jesus' heavenly brothers, including those 'brothers' of Matthew 25:40 who are still alive on Earth before or during the coming ' time of separation ' on Earth of Matthew 25:31-33,40.
Since the word ' brothers' can mean men and women, then woman also compose that heavenly group - Galatians 3:28-29.
Thus, I believe the ones God chooses, He reveals at one's baptism who are either called to Heaven or Earth at that time.
So, if one likes it here, that to me indicates you are chosen to be a humble ' sheep ' to remain on Earth right into calendar Day One of Jesus' coming 1,000-year reign over Earth.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:08 PM

15,415 posts, read 12,154,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Wow, outing users is shocking, I mean I wouldn't care if everyone knew my
details but it is shocking that somebody else would do that.
It's ok for ME to talk about it..
I said, "I do not call myself a Christian"....most of you know me, that according to the definition from the Nicene Creed...
I can not call myself one since there are things I don't believe in that Creed.

Some one, now gone,
copied from another Forum were I said I was....however that was when I joined in 2009 or 2010.
I came back there in 2017 for a bit and don't post there anymore....I asked to even be removed.
No biggy, for me, but, it was wrong.
I am Miss Hepburn online...I don't change my name.

Btw, when I began to realize I could not call myself a Christian I was banned from yet a diff, very active Christian site.
Even years later Mods contacted me saying they are trying to get me back...but the Admin is a Church of Christ guy and said, No. (I was very well liked...more reps per posts still to this day.)

Forums can be like a club...The Admin has a right to not allow those he doesn't want in.
(I had my own Forum once....and I certainly would not want certain people on it!!!)

That is just to explain to anyone curious...no biggy...but it was wrong
and against The Rules, of course.
Thanks all for posting here.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
That's right Gehenna...it was a garbage dump outside of town! Thank you, Matthew,there are those that don't know this yet.
Years on forums with scholarly people...taught me a lot.
Same here, ( with scholarly people )
It was a quarter of a century before I knew the word Gehenna was translated into English as hell fire.
I think under the circumstances the King James Version did an outstanding job in so many ways.
It was clergy, at that long-ago time, who chose to use 'fire' as a scare tactic to control the flock and keep and get members.
They may have had zeal for God but just lacked accurate knowledge that we have access and know about today.

Old 12-07-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Same here, ( with scholarly people )
It was a quarter of a century before I knew the word Gehenna was translated into English as hell fire.
I think under the circumstances the King James Version did an outstanding job in so many ways.
It was clergy, at that long-ago time, who chose to use 'fire' as a scare tactic to control the flock and keep and get members.
They may have had zeal for God but just lacked accurate knowledge that we have access and know about today.
Excellent. Thank you for this input. xo

Old 12-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Excellent. Thank you for this input. xo
You are welcome !

Old 12-07-2018, 06:57 PM

9,293 posts, read 5,500,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
I cannot disagree with anything you said. I try to keep my focus on God- I am powerless over people, and to be honest- don't think highly of very many of them. People simply cannot be trusted, so I try to keep my emotional distance from them. I try to witness by example and with His Word. It is NOT my responsibility to convert anyone, or convince anyone that I'm right. He is in charge, always trustworthy, and always loving.
I go by my experience with Him in my life- that's all that really counts in the long run. We will all answer one day to God- I'm just glad He did not give up on me!
Quote:
I am powerless over people, and to be honest- don't think highly of very many of them.
But Jesus did, enough so that He would go to a cross while we were yet sinners.
Quote:
People simply cannot be trusted, so I try to keep my emotional distance from them.
Jesus went to their parties, he visited sinners in their homes (Zacchaeus). What makes you holier than Jesus?
Quote:
It is NOT my responsibility to convert anyone,---
In Acts 1:8 it is the last command given by Christ before His Ascension that “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This is similar to Matthew 28:18-20 where Jesus tells the disciples:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

If you follow Jesus, why aren't you obeying Him?

Old 12-07-2018, 07:15 PM

4,226 posts, read 2,596,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
But Jesus did, enough so that He would go to a cross while we were yet sinners.

Jesus went to their parties, he visited sinners in their homes (Zacchaeus). What makes you holier than Jesus?

In Acts 1:8 it is the last command given by Christ before His Ascension that “you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

This is similar to Matthew 28:18-20 where Jesus tells the disciples:
“All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”

If you follow Jesus, why aren't you obeying Him?
Probably because the Bible is being labeled as hate speech, and many people do not want to observe all that Jesus taught, especially with HIm routinely referring back to His Father.

Some people have itching ears, it's okay to dust your sandals.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
...Jesus went to their parties, he visited sinners in their homes (Zacchaeus). What makes you holier than Jesus?....
All the things you brought up about Jesus are wonderful and inspiring.
I'm thinking bryan85 wasn't considering himself holier than Jesus..maybe weaker; he said the word 'powerless'.
It's hard to be with people you don't trust.
You don't place a young sapling in a storm...when it gets stronger it can take the blows of strong winds.
Right now, I think bryan is exercising his boundaries well, choosing to not hang with people
he doesn't want to at the moment.
We need to protect ourselves sometimes....when we feel clear and strong, then we can mingle with the Zacchaeus'.
And as gabfest said...it is ok to dust off our sandals when we discern it appropriate.

My take.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:44 PM

954 posts, read 145,610 times
"He is the God of the living not of the dead. "

He is the Father of the living not of the dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or