Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 08:39 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Wow Warden, What a powerful talk and fantastic approach and delivery on a subject that needs to be addressed and heard. Thanks for sharing that. I challenge too the likes of Drob, Finn Jarber, Baptist Fundy, Sum Tingy, Jimmiej , twinspin, scgraham and Hewillcome2040 to watch this.
I'm watching the series. He does do a far better job than most Christians although I have some quibbles with him. But I'll watch it all before I comment more.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:44 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
God is not my father.

My father was not God.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:59 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
I'm watching the series. He does do a far better job than most Christians although I have some quibbles with him. But I'll watch it all before I comment more.
That's because he know how to relate to people. Quibbles are quibbles, his heart is in the right place and he is not fearful to face what most bible believers are terrified to do, that is why none of the usual suspects will watch this video.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
That's because he know how to relate to people. Quibbles are quibbles, his heart is in the right place and he is not fearful to face what most bible believers are terrified to do, that is why none of the usual suspects will watch this video.
Then quibble was the wrong word. I have serious issues about the conclusions he reaches about the veracity of the supposed "Gospel message" and how he reached those conclusions. Again, I'm still watching, but while it seems like he's thought more deeply than some Christians, and I appreciate that, he's still essentially just attempting to circle the wagons to defend his "childhood faith" in a more palatable way.

Old 11-15-2018, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Then quibble was the wrong word. I have serious issues about the conclusions he reaches about the veracity of the supposed "Gospel message" and how he reached those conclusions. Again, I'm still watching, but while it seems like he's thought more deeply than some Christians, and I appreciate that, he's still essentially just attempting to circle the wagons to defend his "childhood faith" in a more palatable way.
I have no issues with that though myself, because many of us had a sparkle when we first believed about the love of God, but then it was stifled out of us by the dogma of the church passed off to be the truth and we ended up putting our faith in something entirely different to when we first believed. The fact that he was even willing to look at an obvious issue within the church, read and listen to an atheist viewpoint without trying to shut it down with bible beliefs, goes a long way with me.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
I have no issues with that though myself, because many of us had a sparkle when we first believed about the love of God, but then it was stifled out of us by the dogma of the church passed off to be the truth and we ended up putting our faith in something entirely different to when we first believed. The fact that he was even willing to look at an obvious issue within the church, read and listen to an atheist viewpoint without trying to shut it down with bible beliefs, goes a long way with me.

It went a long way with me, as well. But, as best I can tell, his main case for the "rightness" of Christianity (his flavor of Christianity) is "justice". God is love, sure, BUT God is just. Of course, like all such Christians, he appears to believe justice (I'm still waiting for him to define what he thinks justice entails) will be for the "chosen ones", not anyone else. That being said, he may simply be on the path towards an understanding that there is no "but" when it comes to love; God is love AND justness (making things right) flows from the very nature of God and encompasses all.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
It went a long way with me, as well. But, as best I can tell, his main case for the "rightness" of Christianity (his flavor of Christianity) is "justice". God is love, sure, BUT God is just. Of course, like all such Christians, he appears to believe justice (I'm still waiting for him to define what he thinks justice entails) will be for the "chosen ones", not anyone else. That being said, he may simply be on the path towards an understanding that there is no "but" when it comes to love; God is love AND justness (making things right) flows from the very nature of God and encompasses all.
I hear what you are saying Pleroo, but when i first started posting on this forum several years ago, i was saying things that i do not necessarily go along with now, it was only in my pride of trying to prove someone wrong i was dealt a knockout blow(which by the way was never intended by the other poster) by actually reading up on what they had said, that woke me up out of my universalist fundamentalism.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I hear what you are saying Pleroo, but when i first started posting on this forum several years ago, i was saying things that i do not necessarily go along with now, it was only in my pride of trying to prove someone wrong i was dealt a knockout blow(which by the way was never intended by the other poster) by actually reading up on what they had said, that woke me up out of my universalist fundamentalism.
As I said, perhaps he's on the path towards something better: a fuller knowledge of love. I have great hope for him.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:09 AM

Quote:
As I said, perhaps he's on the path towards something better: a fuller knowledge of love. I have great hope for him.
Me too(That cannot be easy for him being the son of a high profile teacher) I believe there's a tidal wave of openess and receptiveness coming that is going to sweep through the church, it will be dismissed by the hardliners as being of the devil and the influence of eastern teaching they said they have been warning us of, but it will bring a renewal like never known before. For the church will discover the inheritance that's always been here for them. They will discover the gift given is not the bible but God himself.

For full IS the earth of the knowledge of the glory(presence) of God, As waters cover the bottom of the sea. Habakkuk 2:4

Old 11-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Me too(That cannot be easy for him being the son of a high profile teacher) I believe there's a tidal wave of openess and receptiveness coming that is going to sweep through the church, it will be dismissed by the hardliners as being of the devil and the influence of eastern teaching they said they have been warning us of, but it will bring a renewal like never known before. For the church will discover the inheritance that's always been here for them. They will discover the gift given is not the bible but God himself.

For full IS the earth of the knowledge of the glory(presence) of God, As waters cover the bottom of the sea. Habakkuk 2:4
Thy Kingdom come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity