Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2018, 08:30 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Due to their unbelief, aetheists are not capable of seeing Christians or understanding the Bible truthfully. Yes, we Christians sometimes are a poor reflection of God, but His Word never is.
You should also mention that many Christians understand that the "Word" is not necessarily the literal words set down by men in the collection of books that we call the Bible. Trying to pass off human writing as the literal words of God is dangerous and causes much pain when people use it as the mask behind which to hide their own prejudices and to manipulate others.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:34 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Yes, we Christians sometimes are a poor reflection of God,
but His Word never is.
Hi bryan, I mean no offense...could you explain to the group at large
how certain things are a reflection God...(remembering I am NO atheist)...
Lemme pick a couple unspecific...stoning in the OT, directing raping, murdering, killing of whole towns,
maybe even letting His 'chosen' people suffer for 40 yrs...I mean, how would you explain these
things as His Word being reflective of God....and then, expect them to want to love Him at the same time.
Thanks. (Just pick one.)

Old 11-28-2018, 09:11 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Due to their unbelief, aetheists are not capable of seeing Christians or understanding the Bible truthfully. Yes, we Christians sometimes are a poor reflection of God, but His Word never is.
Most western atheists were Christians. Like an old suit of clothes, they found religion no longer fit. They outgrew it.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:35 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You should also mention that many Christians understand that the "Word" is not necessarily the literal words set down by men in the collection of books that we call the Bible. Trying to pass off human writing as the literal words of God is dangerous and causes much pain when people use it as the mask behind which to hide their own prejudices and to manipulate others.
I trust Gods Word, and that His Holy Spirit used man to write it- period.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:37 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Lemme pick a couple unspecific...stoning in the OT, directing raping, murdering, killing of whole towns,
maybe even letting His 'chosen' people suffer for 40 yrs...I mean, how would you explain these
things as His Word being reflective of God....and then, expect them to want to love Him at the same time.
Thanks. (Just pick one.)
I believe Gods Word is the truth. You cannot "Cherry pick" certain passages to attack it. His Word has been true to me in my experience. I don't claim to always understand 100%, but God does not call us to understand- only to trust Him.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:38 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
I can almost hear the mental doors to awareness slamming shut.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
I believe Gods Word is the truth. You cannot "Cherry pick" certain passages to attack it. His Word has been true to me in my experience. I don't claim to always understand 100%, but God does not call us to understand- only to trust Him.
"trust" does not prove or disprove anything.

You can trust that if you are doing the next right thing, to the best of your ability, things will work out. Some people just don't have the capability of doing that.

I don't have to "trust" a person that uses "god" as a weapon to oppress others just because they whip out the word "god said so.".

Old 11-28-2018, 09:41 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
I know, and you are not alone on this forum in that belief, but I feel obligated to point it out for other readers.

We seem to get so many non-Christians here who are only familiar with the fundamentalist version of Christianity, and I like to let them know that the rest of us exist.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,567,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Thanks. (Just pick one.)
ask my daughter to explain me when she isn't getting her way? she's 10.

does she understand "love"?

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
ask my daughter to explain me when she isn't getting her way? she's 10.

does she understand "love"?
Getting her way about what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity