U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 05:35 AM

32,302 posts, read 21,149,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
The G-d-concept isn’t “I Am”, it’s Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, Which means “I will be what I will be”...
I have heard you say this before. I am precedes i will as far as "I am" concerned. I will is saying you are not already that which you desire to be(Let the weak say i am strong, not let the weak say i will be strong Joel 3:10). Like 101 said "I will" is not a name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 06:40 AM

56,266 posts, read 54,712,832 times
Quote:
The G-d-concept isn’t “I Am”, it’s Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh, Which means “I will be what I will be”...
Thank you, Richard. Usually in our Bibles there's a footnote that says, "or 'I will be what I will be'". I wonder why they put the "I am" version as the prominent one.

Either way, I find that concept of God to fit the idea of God being that which connects all.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:18 AM

32,302 posts, read 21,149,668 times
And the man is great, and goes on, going on and becoming great, till that he has been very great Genesis 26:13

I came across this verse the other day about Isaac, it kind of blew me away. Soon as i read it i saw this is it. Man is created in the image of God(great) and has man sees this (he goes on going on becoming great) until he become the great that he is(Very great). If it took man created in greatness to fall into a world that he was not familiar with to become the very greatness that he is, then amen. So the I am is correct as far as i am concerned because it is I am that precedes all things. As a man thinks he IS in his heart so is he.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:27 AM

3,671 posts, read 1,542,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
and the man is great, and goes on, going on and becoming great, till that he has been very great genesis 26:13

i came across this verse the other day about isaac, it kind of blew me away. Soon as i read it i saw this is it. Man is created in the image of god(great) and has man sees this (he goes on going on becoming great) until he become the great that he is(very great). If it took man created in greatness to fall into a world that he was not familiar with to become the very greatness that he is, then amen. So the i am is correct as far as i am concerned because it is i am that precedes all things. As a man thinks he is in his heart so is he.
it's good people read for themselves.

Old 11-04-2018, 01:09 PM

28,010 posts, read 15,092,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thank you, Richard. Usually in our Bibles there's a footnote that says, "or 'I will be what I will be'". I wonder why they put the "I am" version as the prominent one.

Either way, I find that concept of God to fit the idea of God being that which connects all.
So they could link it with the I Am statement by Jesus in the New Testament and thereby call Jesus G-d...

Old 11-04-2018, 04:06 PM

21,947 posts, read 16,738,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It's noteworthy that the translators of the Hebrew Bible into the Greek Septuagint translated Exodus 3:14 as
14 καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεὸς πρὸς Μωυσῆν λέγων· ἐγώ εἰμι ὁ ὤν. καὶ εἶπεν· οὕτως ἐρεῖς τοῖς υἱοῖς ᾿Ισραήλ· ὁ ὢν ἀπέσταλκέ με πρὸς ὑμᾶς.

14 And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...?book=2&page=3
As you may know, the Hellenistic Jews of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC could no longer read the Hebrew language which necessitated translating the Hebrew Scriptures into Greek so that the Hellenistic Jews could understand their Scriptures. Over a period of time the entire Tanakh was therefore translated into Greek.

The translator(s) of Exodus chose to translate Exodus 3:14 into the Greek as ἐγώ εἰμι which is 'I am.'

Old 11-04-2018, 04:10 PM

15,491 posts, read 12,183,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
14 And God spoke to Moses, saying, I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.
https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...?book=2&page=3As you may know, the Hellenistic Jews of the 2nd and 1st centuries BC could no longer read the Hebrew language ...
The translator(s) of Exodus chose to translate Exodus 3:14 into the Greek as ἐγώ εἰμι which is 'I am.'
I love learning this. Thank you.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
So they could link it with the I Am statement by Jesus in the New Testament and thereby call Jesus G-d...
Actually, the 'I am' statement of Jesus in John 8:58 would seem to identify Jesus with the 'I am' statements of God in Isaiah 41:4: 43:10, 12, 13; 44:6; 45:5,7,18,22; and 48:12.

For instance, the Septuagint translates Isaiah 41:4 into Greek as
4 τίς ἐνήργησε καὶ ἐποίησε ταῦτα; ἐκάλεσεν αὐτὴν ὁ καλῶν αὐτὴν ἀπὸ γενεῶν ἀρχῆς· ἐγὼ Θεὸς πρῶτος, καὶ εἰς τὰ ἐπερχόμενα ἐγώ εἰμι.

4 Who has wrought and done these things? he has called it who called it from the generations of old; I God, the first and to [all] futurity, I AM.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...ook=43&page=41
And Isaiah 43;10
10 γίνεσθέ μοι μάρτυρες, καὶ ἐγὼ μάρτυς, λέγει Κύριος ὁ Θεός, καὶ ὁ παῖς μου, ὃν ἐξελεξάμην, ἵνα γνῶτε καὶ πιστεύσητε καὶ συνῆτε ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι.

10 Be ye my witnesses, and I [too am] a witness, saith the Lord God, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know, and believe, and understand that I an [he]: before me there was no other God, and after me there shall be none.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...ook=43&page=43
ἐγώ εἰμι translates as 'I am' and is used in John 8:58.

In some of the verses I mentioned, the word εἰμι is not present, but the word ἐγώ which is the first person singular personal pronoun 'I' is sufficient to provide the meaning of 'I am' and is so translated into the English.

Last edited by Mike555; 11-04-2018 at 04:33 PM..

Old 11-04-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I love learning this. Thank you.
You're welcome.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:00 PM

3,671 posts, read 1,542,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Actually, the 'I am' statement of Jesus in John 8:58 would seem to identify Jesus with the 'I am' statements of God in Isaiah 41:4: 43:10, 12, 13; 44:6; 45:5,7,18,22; and 48:12.

For instance, the Septuagint translates Isaiah 41:4 into Greek as
4 τίς ἐνήργησε καὶ ἐποίησε ταῦτα; ἐκάλεσεν αὐτὴν ὁ καλῶν αὐτὴν ἀπὸ γενεῶν ἀρχῆς· ἐγὼ Θεὸς πρῶτος, καὶ εἰς τὰ ἐπερχόμενα ἐγώ εἰμι.

4 Who has wrought and done these things? he has called it who called it from the generations of old; I God, the first and to [all] futurity, I AM.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...ook=43&page=41
And Isaiah 43;10
10 γίνεσθέ μοι μάρτυρες, καὶ ἐγὼ μάρτυς, λέγει Κύριος ὁ Θεός, καὶ ὁ παῖς μου, ὃν ἐξελεξάμην, ἵνα γνῶτε καὶ πιστεύσητε καὶ συνῆτε ὅτι ἐγώ εἰμι.

10 Be ye my witnesses, and I [too am] a witness, saith the Lord God, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know, and believe, and understand that I an [he]: before me there was no other God, and after me there shall be none.

https://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/gree...ook=43&page=43
ἐγώ εἰμι translates as 'I am' and is used in John 8:58.

In some of the verses I mentioned, the word εἰμι is not present, but the word ἐγώ which is the first person singular personal pronoun 'I' is sufficient to provide the meaning of 'I am' and is so translated into the English.
Glad this is brought out. "I AM" the BEING" is not a PERSONAL NAME. "BEING" is what he is and NOT who he is in Name.

so those false name like Jehovah and Yahweh derived from the tetragrammaton, which is a VERB is just that false, man made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity