U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 06:24 AM

954 posts, read 244,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
The OT God very clearly told the Jews to massacre Canaanites and other tribes. He was mad when Jews made a deal with the Syrian king Ben Hadad (iirc) instead of slaughtering all Syrians. He killed 100 soldiers and their two captains because Elijah felt insulted to be compelled to come before the king. He had no problem killing Egyptian firstborn babies to convince the pharaoh to let the Jews go. I could go on. These are acts of God that are proudly recorded in the Bible.
It is not the fundamentalists, it is the nature of God in all Abrahamic religions. Ancient Jews were the first Jihadists and the Christians and Muslims just followed in their footsteps. And they will keep on waging holy wars because they quite logically believe that it is the right thing to do.
I find it amusing when someone posts racism and anti Christian theology veiled in cerebral type denunciations. They read a blog written by some obscure professor, or self professed historian, copied the idea, and claim it as their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 06:29 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,988,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
I find it amusing when someone posts racism and anti Christian theology veiled in cerebral type denunciations. They read a blog written by some obscure professor, or self professed historian, copied the idea, and claim it as their own.
Kind of like reading some obscure writer (not even a professor) or self-professed historian (3oo years removed from the event) copied and rewritten the original text, and claiming it as god's word?

Old 11-12-2018, 01:32 PM

814 posts, read 599,084 times
Quote:
FYI, I have studied the Bible. These ideas (as far as I know) are my own and not plagiarized from anyone else. I realize why they would make believers angry. But I don't plagiarize, so find some other club to beat me with.

Old 11-12-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
FYI, I have studied the Bible. These ideas (as far as I know) are my own and not plagiarized from anyone else. I realize why they would make believers angry. But I don't plagiarize, so find some other club to beat me with.
Ok, so lets deconstruct your diatribe

God very clearly told the Jews to massacre...
He was mad ....
He had no problem killing Egyptian firstborn babies...
These are acts of God that are proudly...
Ancient Jews were the first Jihadists ...
And they will keep on waging holy wars...

Now, you seem to fit in perfectly with other anti whatever. Does that give you that warm fuzzy feeling?

Old 11-12-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:

He was mad ....

Now, you seem to fit in perfectly with other anti whatever. Does that give you that warm fuzzy feeling?
I have no anti-anything feelings. There are a ton of positive things in the OT that overwhelm this negative aspect - but you need to face the truth and accept that the OT records God doing some things that in the modern day are considered unacceptable.

Positive things that give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the Bible:
- most of the ten commandments - basis of morality
- it exhorts Jews to take care of the widows and orphans, and the needy; almost every prophet says it
- God says to leave vengeance up to him, do NOT punish children for the sins of their fathers and vice versa
- equal justice for everyone - the same law applies to Jews and to strangers among them.
Again, I could go on.

And of course, the NT is nothing but hope, faith and love. Over and over, Jesus rejects the outward piety of hypocrites and the minutiae that Pharisees focus on, and preaches love for one another. It is said that one of the early Church leaders (Jesus's brother James if my memory serves) who lived into his nineties, and in the end could only mutter "children, love one another." Someone asked him why that was the only thing he said and he replied that that was the summation of the entire New Testament.

Pointing out inconvenient truths does not make me an anti-semite as you seem to imply. And obviously modern Jews have made extra-ordinary contributions to most countries that they were exiled to or forced to flee to, far beyond their percentage of population. Look at US.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:47 PM

20,487 posts, read 9,891,423 times
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

He was mad ....

Quote:
I have no anti-anything feelings. There are a ton of positive things in the OT that overwhelm this negative aspect - but you need to face the truth and accept that the OT records God doing some things that in the modern day are considered unacceptable.

- it exhorts Jews to take care of the widows and orphans, and the needy; almost every prophet says it
- God says to leave vengeance up to him, do NOT punish children for the sins of their fathers and vice versa
- equal justice for everyone - the same law applies to Jews and to strangers among them.
Again, I could go on.

And of course, the NT is nothing but hope, faith and love. Over and over, Jesus rejects the outward piety of hypocrites and the minutiae that Pharisees focus on, and preaches love for one another. It is said that one of the early Church leaders (Jesus's brother James if my memory serves) who lived into his nineties, and in the end could only mutter "children, love one another." Someone asked him why that was the only thing he said and he replied that that was the summation of the entire New Testament.

Pointing out inconvenient truths does not make me an anti-semite as you seem to imply. And obviously modern Jews have made extra-ordinary contributions to most countries that they were exiled to or forced to flee to, far beyond their percentage of population. Look at US.
Don't let Sumthingy get you worked up, that's his modus operandi. Personally, I will stick to the hope, faith and love with love being the greatest of the three. And I will leave the slaughtering of people to the wicked mindset from which it comes. Especially, when it relates to innocent women and children.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:

Again, I could go on.

So, you put your faith in your feelings but disregard things that doesn’t meet your criteria of right and wrong. Interesting that you talk about the 10 Commandments. Are you familiar with the 1st?

As far as James quotes, what Scripture chapters are you referencing that says he said those last words in his 90s. I will be very interested to know

Old 11-13-2018, 11:06 AM

16,367 posts, read 7,702,563 times
Quote:
Sum-tingy,
What part of cfa-ish' post is in error in any way? Granted that the Christians have disregaded the teaching of Jesus to go the way described, but then YOU are part of that group, and just as guilty as anyone named.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
So, you put your faith in your feelings but disregard things that doesn’t meet your criteria of right and wrong. Interesting that you talk about the 10 Commandments. Are you familiar with the 1st?
What ARE you referring to?
Yes, I know the first commandment. I think it's neutral as regards modern moral standards. If you want to be a Christian you believe in the Christian God and not another god. Not complicated.

Quote:
As far as James quotes, what Scripture chapters are you referencing that says he said those last words in his 90s. I will be very interested to know
It is not scripture, it is a story I read in a commentary on the NT. So what?

Old 11-13-2018, 01:01 PM

3,152 posts, read 949,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
The fundamentalists of both parties or religions push their agenda and ideologies throughout the land.
Their beliefs come with a two-edged sword consisting of peace and war; slaughtering the innocent.
True. There are always many sides to every story. The U.S. is a global empire and has meddled in the affairs of every nation on the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity