Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 PM

919 posts, read 848,355 times

Advertisements

First of all, this is NOT a thread about sin or homosexuality. Move on if that's what you're looking for.

One of the books commonly included in either apocrypha or pseudoepigrapha describes some incidents that happened in Sodom (or Gomorrah.) For example, the sodomites would fit a man to the bed by stretching him if he was short or binding him if he was tall. Another story was, a sodomite struck a traveller with a stone and demanded payment for his trouble. The traveller (possibly a wandering Levite?) struck the judge at his trial and called it even. Does this ring a bell? Which book is it?

EDIT: This is also in Sanhedrin but that's not the book I am looking for. It's one of the ones here: http://www.pseudepigrapha.com/

Old 11-13-2018, 02:50 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
There was no Levite in the days of Sodom and Gomorrah , as these cities were destroyed in the days of Abraham, and Levi was the Son of Jacob who was the grandchild of Abraham ..... God said He destroyed these cities because the king was rich , and he just watched the people starve and did not do anything , even though the king was capable of helping , as the cities corrupted themselves were God said `enough` .........Ezekiel 16:49-50 tells what God said `

Old 11-13-2018, 02:58 PM

Thanks. You are right, it was not a Levite. In Sanhedrin it's Elieazer, a priest. I unconsciously conflated the two.
Also thanks for the Ezekiel reference. The stories I mentioned are not in the Bible though. I just absolutely cannot remember where they appear.

Old 11-13-2018, 03:27 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
Thanks. You are right, it was not a Levite. In Sanhedrin it's Elieazer, a priest. I unconsciously conflated the two.
Also thanks for the Ezekiel reference. The stories I mentioned are not in the Bible though. I just absolutely cannot remember where they appear.
Go over to the Judaism forum and ask Rabbi Roends in the “Ask a Jew” thread...

Old 11-13-2018, 05:05 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,020,934 times
I find it interesting when one talks about the sins of Sodom, we must be told NOT to think of homosexuality.

Just interesting that people don't like to talk about the simple reading.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:10 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I find it interesting when one talks about the sins of Sodom, we must be told NOT to think of homosexuality.

No one said, 'we must not'....that is just not the topic of his question. Come on...

Old 11-13-2018, 05:35 PM

6,796 posts, read 2,907,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

There IS no mention in scripture of homosexuality being a sin of Sodom (or Gomorrah) whether it be a simple reading or otherwise.

OP ...I'm simply responding to a post.

Done.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:00 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,066,770 times
I haven't heard about any other specific stories about Sodom and Gomorrah other than the one involving Lot and his Uncle's (Abraham's) Military Conquests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
There IS no mention in scripture of homosexuality being a sin of Sodom (or Gomorrah) whether it be a simple reading or otherwise.

OP ...I'm simply responding to a post.

Done.
"Simply" is how the Enemy wants them!

All they can see is what they are looking for.
All that haunts them is what taunts them.

And yes, they can rewrite and also interpret with their own log-biased eyes.

Sodomite Men: "Give us the mysterious undocumented immigrants that we may know them!"

Lot: "Here have my daughters instead as appeasement, since they haven't "known" a man yet and so you can "know" them instead!"

The men of Sodom were not amused and yet the intruders were able to massacre them on the spot with lightning.

Yes, the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah (and their 2 other neighbors) had probably legalized/protected homosexuality (although probably not condoning gay-marriage), which Torah clearly forbade (although only the male one, if I remember correctly... Paul forbids the female one, I think).

Old 11-13-2018, 06:07 PM

Can we not go there in this thread?
You guys can start a new thread...

Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 PM

1,183 posts, read 537,070 times
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
First of all, this is NOT a thread about sin or homosexuality. Move on if that's what you're looking for.

One of the books commonly included in either apocrypha or pseudoepigrapha describes some incidents that happened in Sodom (or Gomorrah.) For example, the sodomites would fit a man to the bed by stretching him if he was short or binding him if he was tall. Another story was, a sodomite struck a traveller with a stone and demanded payment for his trouble. The traveller (possibly a wandering Levite?) struck the judge at his trial and called it even. Does this ring a bell? Which book is it?

EDIT: This is also in Sanhedrin but that's not the book I am looking for. It's one of the ones here: Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha and Sacred Writings
Dr Seuss most likely. Sodom and Gomorrah gays is not I. So don’t ask me why. But I want to read not the Bible you see. So leave me alone all you fundies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity