U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 08:57 AM

954 posts, read 241,895 times

Advertisements

A Roman Catholic perspective

https://www.catholiceducation.org/en...-crusades.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 10:04 AM

20,370 posts, read 9,822,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
That's one perspective, but not necessarily the correct view point.

Old 11-09-2018, 10:52 AM

741 posts, read 822,494 times
The muslims did pose a threat to the west. They at various times tried to a foothold into Europe.Just llok at the country of Spain and it's long history.Finally under Ferdinand and Isabella, they were driven out and if they wanted to stand, same for the jews, they had to convert to the Catholic church or perish. My mother was hungarian. The Ottoman Turks invaded Hungary,Romania, Moldavia,etc. That's why Vlad Tepes, also known to history as Dracula, and Vlad the Impaler is a national hero in Romania to this day.Why do you think Viktor Orban and other hungarians don't want muslim refugees in their country? Because they remember what happend to their land when the turks invaded, even if it was 500 years ago.
Some cousins of my grandmother, the von Lilienschilds, actually fought in the crusades in the Holy Land.Later some of the family took part in the pope's crusade to convert the pagan Baltic tribes. According to german records, the family goes back in the records of the City of Riga to the 13th or 14th century and belonged to the Livonian Knights of the Sword, as Latvia was called Livonia in those days. They were later absorbed into the Teutonic Knights. I'm sure my dad's side in Germany also fought in the Crusades, but i don't know that much about it.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM

4,697 posts, read 1,219,609 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZxScaEq2Ec

I think this guy shows the real story .

Old 11-09-2018, 08:29 PM

5,937 posts, read 1,699,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Or maybe it is. Care to explain how it isn't? Can you?

Old 11-09-2018, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumTingy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Or maybe it is. Care to explain how it isn't? Can you?
It's one perspective of many, however, if you are interested in learning some of the others, than you should study the history of all parties. Inclusive of their religious views to their political and economical stances with, or from an unbiased or neutral position.

Old 11-10-2018, 05:58 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,903,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritos56 View Post
The muslims did pose a threat to the west. They at various times tried to a foothold into Europe.Just llok at the country of Spain and it's long history.Finally under Ferdinand and Isabella, they were driven out and if they wanted to stand, same for the jews, they had to convert to the Catholic church or perish. My mother was hungarian. The Ottoman Turks invaded Hungary,Romania, Moldavia,etc. That's why Vlad Tepes, also known to history as Dracula, and Vlad the Impaler is a national hero in Romania to this day.Why do you think Viktor Orban and other hungarians don't want muslim refugees in their country? Because they remember what happend to their land when the turks invaded, even if it was 500 years ago.
Some cousins of my grandmother, the von Lilienschilds, actually fought in the crusades in the Holy Land.Later some of the family took part in the pope's crusade to convert the pagan Baltic tribes. According to german records, the family goes back in the records of the City of Riga to the 13th or 14th century and belonged to the Livonian Knights of the Sword, as Latvia was called Livonia in those days. They were later absorbed into the Teutonic Knights. I'm sure my dad's side in Germany also fought in the Crusades, but i don't know that much about it.
obviously it was the WEST that posed a bigger threat to the Muslims...

Old 11-10-2018, 08:13 AM

The fundamentalists of both parties or religions push their agenda and ideologies throughout the land.
Their beliefs come with a two-edged sword consisting of peace and war; slaughtering the innocent.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:15 PM

806 posts, read 593,806 times
Quote:
The fundamentalists of both parties or religions push their agenda and ideologies throughout the land.
Their beliefs come with a two-edged sword consisting of peace and war; slaughtering the innocent.
The OT God very clearly told the Jews to massacre Canaanites and other tribes. He was mad when Jews made a deal with the Syrian king Ben Hadad (iirc) instead of slaughtering all Syrians. He killed 100 soldiers and their two captains because Elijah felt insulted to be compelled to come before the king. He had no problem killing Egyptian firstborn babies to convince the pharaoh to let the Jews go. I could go on. These are acts of God that are proudly recorded in the Bible.
It is not the fundamentalists, it is the nature of God in all Abrahamic religions. Ancient Jews were the first Jihadists and the Christians and Muslims just followed in their footsteps. And they will keep on waging holy wars because they quite logically believe that it is the right thing to do.

Old 11-10-2018, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
The OT God very clearly told the Jews to massacre Canaanites and other tribes. He was mad when Jews made a deal with the Syrian king Ben Hadad (iirc) instead of slaughtering all Syrians. He killed 100 soldiers and their two captains because Elijah felt insulted to be compelled to come before the king. He had no problem killing Egyptian firstborn babies to convince the pharaoh to let the Jews go. I could go on. These are acts of God that are proudly recorded in the Bible.

It is not the fundamentalists, it is the nature of God in all Abrahamic religions. Ancient Jews were the first Jihadists and the Christians and Muslims just followed in their footsteps. And they will keep on waging holy wars because they quite logically believe that it is the right thing to do.
I see nothing logical about it. And it's rather disturbing to say the least.
But you are correct when it comes to the nature of Abrahamic religions.

Fundamentalists are almost always the one's who take a literal stance.
And some may be more extreme in their interpretations, than others.

Last edited by Jerwade; 11-10-2018 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity