U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-04-2018, 11:11 PM
 
605 posts, read 188,327 times
Reputation: 638

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
At church this morning, the pastor called up one member (who I'd never met before) who is apparently a very active member. The pastor mentioned that the member is running for political office, named the office, and then gave a long prayer for the member.

The pastor never said, "vote for this person" or "this person is the best"; the prayer was more like, "may God be with this person in his daily walk", and it was a prayer that could be given for any person in the congregation.

Relatives of the member's opponent also attend the church, although not that service, and the opponent does not attend the church.

This seemed strange to me; it wasn't an express endorsement, but it was still free publicity and and a clear sign that the member is "one of us", and the campaign and office were mentioned. I looked up the member's campaign website and would now vote for him.


Is the pastor's action out of line? I think so. Or of it's not out of line, it sure comes close. (The member who was prayed for is NOT a Republican--he is running against a Republican.)

What would you think if your pastor did this?
Just curious but what would be out of line with this? As you stated, the prayer was not one telling anyone who to vote for but a prayer which could be for anyone in the congregation. Free publicity? he is your brother in Christ, whether running for office or not, you need to get to know him and his life. Your going to read his name when you choose who to vote for, eh? So of course if he attends your church, you have the opportunity to get to know him. Whatever church is opposition is attending, they may have done likewise. Gotta look pretty hard to imagine anything wrong here. No endorsements, just a general prayer for that person. Sure, it's ok. Not only ok, it's biblical. They pray for average joes too eh? likely more than political opponents so this seems fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2018, 04:04 AM
 
5,449 posts, read 2,289,752 times
Reputation: 16436
Out of line. The message is pretty implicit: He's one of us, therefore vote for him.

We have a US Senator in our congregation, yet I can't imagine anything like that being done.

Heck, it's considered taboo to discuss business at church, let alone politics. Whenever politics and Christianity become intertwined, Christianity is always the one that suffers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 05:06 AM
 
1,280 posts, read 432,920 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Out of line. The message is pretty implicit: He's one of us, therefore vote for him.

We have a US Senator in our congregation, yet I can't imagine anything like that being done.

Heck, it's considered taboo to discuss business at church, let alone politics. Whenever politics and Christianity become intertwined, Christianity is always the one that suffers.
Thanks. My thoughts exactly. Also bad form because his opponent is also Christian, and a member of a nearby church in a similar denomination.

The prayer would not have been given for just any typical member seeking a new job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 05:08 AM
 
1,280 posts, read 432,920 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Just curious but what would be out of line with this? As you stated, the prayer was not one telling anyone who to vote for but a prayer which could be for anyone in the congregation. Free publicity? he is your brother in Christ, whether running for office or not, you need to get to know him and his life. Your going to read his name when you choose who to vote for, eh? So of course if he attends your church, you have the opportunity to get to know him. Whatever church is opposition is attending, they may have done likewise. Gotta look pretty hard to imagine anything wrong here. No endorsements, just a general prayer for that person. Sure, it's ok. Not only ok, it's biblical. They pray for average joes too eh? likely more than political opponents so this seems fair.
They do not pray for average Joes who are doing things in their lives that are not church-related. Commissioning for mission trips, baptisms, ordination as a church officer, losing a loved one: those all get special prayers. Prayers are also routinely given for government leaders generally, without naming them. Seeking a new job: that does not elicit a prayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 05:12 AM
 
Location: Southern NH
36 posts, read 16,609 times
Reputation: 44
It's a "back-door" approach, a form of deception, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
At church
[...]
Is the pastor's action out of line? I think so. Or of it's not out of line, it sure comes close. (The member who was prayed for is NOT a Republican--he is running against a Republican.)
These days religion hasn't lost that much worldly power.

They have special privileges and tax-exemptions that other corporations can't even apply to for the same supposed reasons and caveats.

You might think this religious ritual activity is a clear endorsement and is out of line, but as our justice system works, to bring any real charges and consequences, you'd have to get a judge to agree with you...

And as it stands, the laws have been written by and for religious (State-accepted religions) people, and the judges are appointed and elected by (and often for) religious people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 AM
 
107 posts, read 22,798 times
Reputation: 145
Default Not out of line

However, if they bring politics into church, they really need to begin paying their fair share of taxes, as politics does not fall into the category of...charitable work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 08:22 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
7,945 posts, read 4,736,927 times
Reputation: 1328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer10X View Post
However, if they bring politics into church, they really need to begin paying their fair share of taxes, as politics does not fall into the category of...charitable work.
They don't even have to keep records of what they are doing (even as "charitable works," that is unless they want the extra tax breaks which are often involved with declaring certain monies as donations), so it wouldn't matter. Their (State-accepted religions') power and privilege is very iron-clad. A lot of them even have acquired group-exemptions from mandatory military drafts merely as a defacto denominational privilege. Not sure what they have given up in exchange, but I'm sure other corporations/persons would not be able to apply under the same terms unless being accepted by the State as a religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,136,536 times
Reputation: 7505
Any mingling of politics and churches should be avoided. Period.

Neither area (politics and spirituality/religion) needs each other, or benefits from the other. Mixing them is near-guaranteed to taint both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2018, 09:10 PM
 
605 posts, read 188,327 times
Reputation: 638
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
They do not pray for average Joes who are doing things in their lives that are not church-related. Commissioning for mission trips, baptisms, ordination as a church officer, losing a loved one: those all get special prayers. Prayers are also routinely given for government leaders generally, without naming them. Seeking a new job: that does not elicit a prayer.
But you weren't praying for his new "job" right? I thought you said it was a general prayer such as "God be with him...?" And that this general prayer is often done for the average joes which one would expect since there would be very few seeking office in your congregation. His opponent has his own church who can pray for him if they'd like

This is not a typical job. It's running the country or whatever office this person is vying for. It's akin to the pharisees control over everyone so don't reduce it to "a job". In this case, I sure hope he isn't akin to a pharisee but that is in the future. Either way, I am open to being in the wrong on this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top