U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 03:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 434,104 times

Advertisements

At church this morning, the pastor called up one member (who I'd never met before) who is apparently a very active member. The pastor mentioned that the member is running for political office, named the office, and then gave a long prayer for the member.

The pastor never said, "vote for this person" or "this person is the best"; the prayer was more like, "may God be with this person in his daily walk", and it was a prayer that could be given for any person in the congregation.

Relatives of the member's opponent also attend the church, although not that service, and the opponent does not attend the church.

This seemed strange to me; it wasn't an express endorsement, but it was still free publicity and and a clear sign that the member is "one of us", and the campaign and office were mentioned. I looked up the member's campaign website and would now vote for him.

Is the pastor's action out of line? I think so. Or of it's not out of line, it sure comes close. (The member who was prayed for is NOT a Republican--he is running against a Republican.)

What would you think if your pastor did this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM

8,102 posts, read 7,070,273 times
There is nothing wrong with asking God in Prayer , as God bring Good gifts ..... Also being in a political campaign can be very stressful and very divisive and could invite wrong demonic spirit to divide people in indifference which these people need the help of God .... So believers should be praying for the leaders , as if believer fail to pray for the leaders blessing from God , then God will judge this generation more harshly in the end times

Old 11-04-2018, 04:03 PM

25,801 posts, read 13,408,706 times
It was an endorsement. Whether that's allowable or frowned upon, I suppose depends on your state's laws, or your particular sub-sect's policies.

Old 11-04-2018, 04:57 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,463,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
At church this morning, the pastor called up one member (who I'd never met before) who is apparently a very active member. The pastor mentioned that the member is running for political office, named the office, and then gave a long prayer for the member.

The pastor never said, "vote for this person" or "this person is the best"; the prayer was more like, "may God be with this person in his daily walk", and it was a prayer that could be given for any person in the congregation.

Relatives of the member's opponent also attend the church, although not that service, and the opponent does not attend the church.

This seemed strange to me; it wasn't an express endorsement, but it was still free publicity and and a clear sign that the member is "one of us", and the campaign and office were mentioned. I looked up the member's campaign website and would now vote for him.

Is the pastor's action out of line? I think so. Or of it's not out of line, it sure comes close. (The member who was prayed for is NOT a Republican--he is running against a Republican.)

Not a thing wrong with it. You're misinformed. No IRS violation here.

Old 11-04-2018, 05:37 PM

1,280 posts, read 434,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Not a thing wrong with it. You're misinformed. No IRS violation here.

No, you didn't read the post.

Never did I ask if this is an IRS violation.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:04 PM

28,460 posts, read 15,436,866 times
If the person is a long term member already, I don't see the problem.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:14 PM

8,893 posts, read 2,758,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post

Why would he do that with a political candidate and not the average Joe churchgoer if he just wanted God to be with the person in their daily walk?

Old 11-04-2018, 08:26 PM

20,378 posts, read 9,822,083 times
There is no reason to have long-winded prayers to be heard of men. And, I see no relevance in stating their political affiliation by you or any other. Although there is nothing wrong with praying for people who are hurting and/or are in need of comforting.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:32 PM

7,981 posts, read 3,462,732 times
These churches have been pushing the envelope for a long time. Now the time has come to Tax These churches. enough is enough.

Old 11-04-2018, 08:55 PM
Status: "Disagreeing is not the same thing as trolling." (set 9 days ago)

9,500 posts, read 3,645,114 times
There was a Baptist church years ago that lost their tax-exempt status for pulling stunts like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or