U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 10:23 AM

56,056 posts, read 54,552,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
WHEN DID I TELL YOU THAT WHAT YOU SAID ABOUT HOW TO USE THE IS WHAT YOU MEANT?
Um, when you quoted my post and then contradicted it with your words?

Quote:
Use whatever words you find effective!!!

People do it all the time with various words.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:25 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,592,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Um, when you quoted my post and then contradicted it with your words?
Use whatever descriptors you need to in order to convey your worldview.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 10:26 AM

32,225 posts, read 21,104,768 times
Quote:
Fundie is meant as a slam and it's a code word for people who are perceived to not approve of SS relations.
That is your assumed defintion of it. Mine is one who is obsessed with what they think the bible says and is and puts it on par with the one it testifies of.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
That is your assumed defintion of it. Mine is one who is obsessed with what they think the bible says and is and puts it on par with the one it testifies of.
It's a handy word and I never expected anyone using it to stop using it.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
It's a handy word and I never expected anyone using it to stop using it.
Yes it is to identify hardliners who are not able to reason beyond their own beliefs systems.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Yes it is to identify hardliners who are not able to reason beyond their own beliefs systems.
Right. And of course you're nothing like that.
And why do you need to identify other posters in the first place?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Right. And of course you're nothing like that.
And why do you need to identify other posters in the first place?
Speaking as a former fundamentalist, we all carry labels and give each other labels(even you,deny it as much as you want but you do ) whether we like it or not. The moment you say i am or he is, you have created a label. Just be honest with yourseld rather than pretending to yourself you are neither one way or the other.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Speaking as a former fundamentalist, we all carry labels and give each other labels(even you,deny it as much as you want but you do ) whether we like it or not. The moment you say i am or he is, you have created a label. Just be honest with yourseld rather than pretending to yourself you are neither one way or the other.
That's the thing. We do not have a set definition of what exactly a fundamentalist is.

Being somewhat conservative does not make one a fundamentalist.

I worked with a couple of ladies who wore long dresses every day and no makeup. They knew the Bible backward and forwards and even went on some type of year long Biblical bread diet, but they were not fundamentalist; though they wouldn't have minded the label because to them and a few others it would have meant they were strictly following The Word.
Christians are liberals because most say no one is able to maintain all of the O.T. Laws, which is what a fundamentalist would do.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM

4,236 posts, read 653,284 times
Quote:
That's the thing. We do not have a set definition of what exactly a fundamentalist is.

Being somewhat conservative does not make one a fundamentalist.

I worked with a couple of ladies who wore long dresses every day and no makeup. They knew the Bible backward and forwards and even went on some type of year long Biblical bread diet, but they were not fundamentalist; though they wouldn't have minded the label because to them and a few others it would have meant they were strictly following The Word.
Christians are liberals because most say no one is able to maintain all of the O.T. Laws, which is what a fundamentalist would do.
The fundamental of Christianity is that Christ came to liberate the Jews, so no Christianity does not believe in the observance of the O.T laws, Christianity may have started off liberal, ie Christ liberating the Jews, but it has changed and developed over time to various sects, denominations where everyone says they are the true believers and others are not. You do not just have Jesus words about the liberation from the O.T but also Paulís. A fundamentalist Christian is a term that developed in reaction to a more liberal interpretation of the scriptures

From wiki :-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chri...fundamentalism

Christian fundamentalism
Christian fundamentalism began in the late 19th and early 20th centuries among British and American Protestants[1][2] as a reaction to theological liberalism and cultural modernism. Fundamentalists argued that 19th-century modernist theologians had misinterpreted or rejected certain doctrines, especially biblical inerrancy, that they viewed as the fundamentals of the Christian faith.[3] Fundamentalists are almost always described as having a literal interpretation of the Bible. A few scholars regard Catholics who reject modern theology in favor of more traditional doctrines as fundamentalists.[4] Scholars debate how much the terms "evangelical" and "fundamentalist" are synonymous.[5] In keeping with traditional Christian doctrines concerning biblical interpretation, the role Jesus plays in the Bible, and the role of the church in society, fundamentalists usually believe in a core of Christian beliefs that include the historical accuracy of the Bible and all its events as well as the Second Coming of Jesus Christ.[6]

Interpretations of Christian fundamentalism have changed over time.[7] Fundamentalism as a movement manifested in various denominations with various theologies, rather than a single denomination or systematic theology. It became active in the 1910s after the release of The Fundamentals, a twelve-volume set of essays, apologetic and polemic, written by conservative Protestant theologians to defend what they saw as Protestant orthodoxy. The movement became more organized in the 1920s within U.S. Protestant churches, especially Baptist and Presbyterian ones.......

Old 11-15-2018, 02:48 PM

8,623 posts, read 3,836,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well, that's because the words and actions of fundamentalists are rarely positive. They are usually dire pronouncements about how everyone but themselves are going to hell for not believing or behaving as they do, or how they are all so "Elect" and special while the rest of us are not. That pretty much sums up what we hear on this forum from fundamentalists, doesn't it? There's no light, no humor, no compassion. It's a very dark and judgmental way of thinking with nothing positive about it at all--except, of course, for those who have declared themselves the special chosen ones.
That's the problem with labels. It brings on stereotypes like yours. Have you actually spent time in a fundamental church, have you seen our ministry work? We do things like help people in prison, recovering drug addicts, help single or abused moms get back on their feet, home groups where you can have a close core of people that will pray and care about you. We don't spend every Sunday blasting about sinners from the pulpit.

I can say the same thing about atheists. All I've seen is extreme arrogance and rudeness from their camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or