U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 07:25 AM

15,391 posts, read 12,143,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
He would be sadistic...in OUR VIEW.
God's ways are NOT our ways...maybe he is like this....what could we do about it though...a big fat nothing.
'infinite suffering for finite crimes"-sparrow....
Nope, sorry rstevens, I'm all for us not viewing
things as God would, I'm the #1 proponent of that one.
He, after all, knowing the entire picture from a place of no time or space.

But, I agree with sparrow...nope.
Now ,are there self-created hellish places....that's what have been
messaged to us from the Other Side....can one stay there for eons? Yes...cuz they won't snap outta
their mean, distorted, harming, cruel, bitter beliefs...won't forgive themselves or accept or ask for any.
This has been misinterpreted as God punishing them....nope...it's their choice.
From all that I have read, that is, from the Other Side for 48 years from the most well-known mediums
around the world...all saying the same thing, ha...some saying, ''the religions have it all wrong''.

My personal exp of God is: 'He' is pure Light and Love beyond anything...no place, not even room
for a thought of an eternal torment to anything.

*Now, I don't need to change your beliefs, not my job...these are just mine.*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM

15,906 posts, read 8,174,245 times
Quote:

Gods ways are NOT our ways...maybe he is like this....what could we do about it though...a big fat nothing.
Since you're quoting the bible there, I guess you give some weight to what the bible has to say? If that is the case, then it is also written in the bible that God IS love, and given the descriptions of love also written in the bible, then, no, God could not be sadistic.

Also, that bible verse you quoted is preceded by an explanation of the forgiving nature of God, so when it says God's ways are higher surely it's not speaking of God being sadistic. That bible verse you quoted is directly followed, also, by this:

10As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
13Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”

Does it seem to you like the person who wrote those words thought God is sadistic?

Old 11-16-2018, 07:39 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,594,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Since you're quoting the bible there, I guess you give some weight to what the bible has to say? If that is the case, then it is also written in the bible that God IS love, and given the descriptions of love also written in the bible, then, no, God could not be sadistic.

Also, that bible verse you quoted is preceded by an explanation of the forgiving nature of God, so when it says God's ways are higher surely it's not speaking of God being sadistic. That bible verse you quoted is directly followed, also, by this:

10As the rain and the snow
come down from heaven,
and do not return to it
without watering the earth
and making it bud and flourish,
so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater,
11so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.
12You will go out in joy
and be led forth in peace;
the mountains and hills
will burst into song before you,
and all the trees of the field
will clap their hands.
13Instead of the thornbush will grow the juniper,
and instead of briers the myrtle will grow.
This will be for the Lord’s renown,
for an everlasting sign,
that will endure forever.”

Does it seem to you like the person who wrote those words thought God is sadistic?
Sounds sort of like what we expect/desire antibiotics to do to invading cells in our universe/ bodies.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:48 AM

Quote:

Gods ways are NOT our ways...maybe he is like this....what could we do about it though...a big fat nothing.

Reading some of your other posts, it seems perhaps you are not a Christian so my last post to you wouldn't really answer your question from a broader perspective...

It's true, there could be a "God" who is sadistic. Personally, I'd say a lot of what was written in the bible actually does paint God in such a light because that's how many of the ancient people (and sadly, far too many in contemporary times) perceived God to be. But, as far as what could we do about it? Rebel. Rebel by leaning into love and being an example to any "God" who would do such a thing as torturing people for eternity that there is a higher way. Might not make an impact, but at least you would know you had done what you could.

I mean, it's like asking what could the Germans have done when Hitler was in power? Some did nothing, to save their own skin. Others were courageous and stood for what was good.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Sounds sort of like what we expect/desire antibiotics to do to invading cells in our universe/ bodies.
Please, feel free to explain what you mean. You think God is similar to antibiotics? In what way?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:48 AM

4,226 posts, read 2,594,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Please, feel free to explain what you mean. You think God is similar to antibiotics? In what way?
Have you ever took any antibiotics or probiotics? If so, what was your expectation?

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
Have you ever took any antibiotics or probiotics? If so, what was your expectation?

I think it's a great analogy, actually. God IS love, and the message of love (ie. God's "word") heals us. When we keep our focus on love, dwelling in love, the beliefs that make us feel God is distant and punishing are eradicated, and the fruit of that spirit of love begins to blossom in our lives.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:02 AM

5,806 posts, read 4,790,108 times
Quote:

It would be sadistic even in Satan's view, buddy.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:11 AM

25,832 posts, read 13,426,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
It would be sadistic even in Satan's view, buddy.
In any sane person's view.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM

32,228 posts, read 21,115,456 times
Quote:

Listen to what YOU are saying. Our ways not being his, means we have strayed from the true nature and character of God, which is our true identity, it does not mean....."Yea, it's definitely evil if we do something Hitler like, but IF God does it, it's perfectly fine because his ways are not ours".

Last edited by pcamps; 11-16-2018 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity