U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 06:55 PM

25,901 posts, read 13,463,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
"Mysterious ways" seems to equate to capriciousness, as long as one personifies God in the way Christianity does. But, universal laws, once they are understood, show an underlying consistency and lack of preferential treatment, and I see no reason to think that the matter of healing, should be any different.
I don't personify a god-thing in that way, as I'm pretty sure you know.

To me, "mysterious ways" simply equates to "that which we do not currently understand." In the instances of inexplicable healing, it may be some combination of will, internal chemistry, immune system, spiritual assistance from long-departed Favourite Aunt Nellie, a god-thing, or thousands of other possibilities that have yet to occur to us.

As a teen, I became a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and other detective mysteries. I've always loved solving puzzles and life has certainly posed its fair share of challenges worth mulling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 06:56 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,795,344 times
I don't necessarily believe God physically heals people in this world.
However, I do believe a lot of doctors commit malpractice and misdiagnoses.
I also believe the "treatment" for some diseases is worse than the disease itself, and can take a person out quicker than the disease would have.
Also believe that with some things, the body CAN heal itself.
Our bodies are amazing.

I am 100% adamantly against the notion that if you're still ill, you just didn't have enough faith or you didn't pray hard enough.

A lot of the illness in this world is created by mankind.
We're all in this together.
We poison the earth, humanity suffers.
There is a lot of evil in this world.
More than people even realize.
Illness is big business.
$$$
How many cures have been hidden?
One wonders.

Just my .02

Old 11-10-2018, 07:08 PM

15,906 posts, read 8,188,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I don't personify a god-thing in that way, as I'm pretty sure you know.

To me, "mysterious ways" simply equates to "that which we do not currently understand." In the instances of inexplicable healing, it may be some combination of will, internal chemistry, immune system, spiritual assistance from long-departed Favourite Aunt Nellie, a god-thing, or thousands of other possibilities that have yet to occur to us.

As a teen, I became a huge fan of Sherlock Holmes and other detective mysteries. I've always loved solving puzzles and life has certainly posed its fair share of challenges worth mulling.
Yes, I know you don't. But that phrase has been employed by some Christians to make excuses for the inconsistencies present within their belief system about God.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:15 PM

4,496 posts, read 3,328,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Apparently, this is subjective, as a Neurosurgeon thought he had a brain bleed. While the Radiologist thought he saw signs of a tumor? And the man himself thought it was a headache that he was experiencing.

It doesn't appear that there is a definitive cause, or an overall agreement to the man's condition?
Perhaps, he had something that healed itself amongst the confusion of whether he did or didn't?
Yes, it would seem that the simplest explanation is that the radiologist was wrong.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:18 PM

1,280 posts, read 437,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I am 100% adamantly against the notion that if you're still ill, you just didn't have enough faith or you didn't pray hard enough.
So am I (and I am 100% Christian), and so are the pastors at my church, according to their sermons. Your view is fully compatible with Christianity.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:04 PM

20,437 posts, read 9,856,466 times
Quote:
I don't necessarily believe God physically heals people in this world.
However, I do believe a lot of doctors commit malpractice and misdiagnoses.
I also believe the "treatment" for some diseases is worse than the disease itself, and can take a person out quicker than the disease would have.
Also believe that with some things, the body CAN heal itself.
Our bodies are amazing.

A lot of the illness in this world is created by mankind.
We're all in this together.
We poison the earth, humanity suffers.
There is a lot of evil in this world.
More than people even realize.
Illness is big business.
$$$
How many cures have been hidden?
One wonders.

Just my .02
My parents died because of the cancer treatment, not the cancer itself.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:17 PM

5,807 posts, read 4,795,344 times
Quote:
My parents died because of the cancer treatment, not the cancer itself.
Same here. (My mom.)

Last edited by .sparrow.; 11-10-2018 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: edited because didn't mean to share so much info. memories can come back so quickly...y'know?

Old 11-10-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Doctors told her the pain was "all in your head".
That is just "ignorance" on their part.

Peace be with you as well.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:36 PM

28,550 posts, read 15,489,914 times
Quote:
So, your god picks and chooses who he will heal and those who he will not?
And the children who have a terminal illness, disease or condition are SOL?

Or did you just want to twist what was said to suit your purpose?
It's not "my god"... it's God.

Yes - that's correct.

There is nothing outside of His control.

Did you realize that Jesus did not heal everyone who had health issues while He was on the earth? Is Jesus evil because He did not heal everybody?

Here's another newsflash... God allows people to physically die. Is God evil because of this?

Last edited by DRob4JC; 11-10-2018 at 10:00 PM..

Old 11-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Yes - that's correct.

There is nothing outside of His control.

Did you realize that Jesus did not heal everyone who had health issues while He was on the earth? Is Jesus evil because He did not heal everybody?

Here's another newsflash... God allows people to physically die. How horrible is that?
Newsflash, we were not given immortality, and we will eventually reach the end of this life.
And I wasn't looking for justification, merely making a point. Which you wanted to exploit.

You also might what want to remember:

Humanity was given dominion over the earth, so not everyone will be healed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity