U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 PM
 
17,574 posts, read 10,635,974 times
Reputation: 8487

Advertisements

For those who keep asking about how Satan could tempt Jesus and why, just gotta read Genesis 2 and 3.


Satan tempted Adam and Eve with things that would appeal to them. He sued the same basics with Jesus.



1. Food after 40 days would be something Jesus would crave as a human.
2. Throwing himself off the wall would be an answer to the challenge that God would protect him and could appeal to his ego, kinda like Eve being told they would be like God. Of course obeying Satan would cost him God's favor
3. Doing an act of worship to get the Kingdoms THEN, could appeal to a desire to do it his way, not God's way and like Adam and Eve obey Satan.


They were tests of things that would show where his heart and trust were.


He passed the test but it wan't the only one. His death was also a test.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2018, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
Reputation: 7505
Forget about the devil. He's already been beaten. Unless you want to grant him more powers and authority, and prop him up to make him look more powerful, move on.

Those who dwell on the devil (and think about him and worry about him), are the ones most bothered in life. And the blame doesn't even belong on the guy with the pitchfork; it's the repeatedly futile, unproductive, aimless worrying that's the source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 02:16 PM
 
17,574 posts, read 10,635,974 times
Reputation: 8487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Forget about the devil. He's already been beaten. Unless you want to grant him more powers and authority, and prop him up to make him look more powerful, move on.

Those who dwell on the devil (and think about him and worry about him), are the ones most bothered in life. And the blame doesn't even belong on the guy with the pitchfork; it's the repeatedly futile, unproductive, aimless worrying that's the source.
He has been beaten by Jesus, but is still trying to draw as many to himself as he can. That is why Jesus said to oppose the Devil and he will flee from you. He is here and busy with those who do not oppose him. The power and authority he has is what it was over those who accept it and reject God's from Adam's day on. That only ends when he is gone for good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 02:21 PM
 
21,883 posts, read 16,702,058 times
Reputation: 8704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Forget about the devil. He's already been beaten. Unless you want to grant him more powers and authority, and prop him up to make him look more powerful, move on.

Those who dwell on the devil (and think about him and worry about him), are the ones most bothered in life. And the blame doesn't even belong on the guy with the pitchfork; it's the repeatedly futile, unproductive, aimless worrying that's the source.
Bad advice. While the cross insured the ultimate defeat of Satan, he is still very much active in the affairs of mankind and in his efforts to deceive the human race, both believers and unbelievers. He is still the ruler of this world. He is still the enemy of God and of man. There is still a spiritual warfare going on in human history and the believer who does not know the enemy is easily neutralized in that spiritual warfare.

Paul, far from saying 'forget about the devil', wrote the following concerning the believer's defense against Satan, the fallen angels, and demons.
Eph. 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13] Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14] Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15] and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16] in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Most believers don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 02:31 PM
 
17,574 posts, read 10,635,974 times
Reputation: 8487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Bad advice. While the cross insured the ultimate defeat of Satan, he is still very much active in the affairs of mankind and in his efforts to deceive the human race, both believers and unbelievers. He is still the ruler of this world. He is still the enemy of God and of man. There is still a spiritual warfare going on in human history and the believer who does not know the enemy is easily neutralized in that spiritual warfare.

Paul, far from saying 'forget about the devil', wrote the following concerning the believer's defense against Satan, the fallen angels, and demons.
Eph. 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13] Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14] Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15] and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16] in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Most believers don't have a clue.
Yes, ignoring Satan in effect has you doing what he wants, thus a supporter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 06:00 PM
 
Location: minnesota
6,348 posts, read 2,124,917 times
Reputation: 2171
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Yes, ignoring Satan in effect has you doing what he wants, thus a supporter.
Well if you ignore child sexual abuse in your midst are you a supporter? Be careful how you judge other people for that is not how they will be judged but how you will be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 07:09 PM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
He has been beaten by Jesus, but is still trying to draw as many to himself as he can. That is why Jesus said to oppose the Devil and he will flee from you. He is here and busy with those who do not oppose him. The power and authority he has is what it was over those who accept it and reject God's from Adam's day on. That only ends when he is gone for good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
While the cross insured the ultimate defeat of Satan, he is still very much active in the affairs of mankind and in his efforts to deceive the human race, both believers and unbelievers. He is still the ruler of this world. He is still the enemy of God and of man. There is still a spiritual warfare going on in human history and the believer who does not know the enemy is easily neutralized in that spiritual warfare.

Paul, far from saying 'forget about the devil', wrote the following concerning the believer's defense against Satan, the fallen angels, and demons.
Eph. 6:11 Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil. 12] For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places. 13] Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. 14] Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15] and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16] in addition to all, taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one.
Most believers don't have a clue.

Adversity is a principle that results in active resistance, opposition, or contentiousness within the human nature. And the Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role (an adversary). Whereas, an accuser (slanderer, devil) is known for his unrighteous disposition. However, the principalities and powers of unholy (human) messengers, had inculcated the doctrines of demons, devils and Satan in the early views of men; falsely fostering and prospering them. Truth becomes known, when deception falls away (that of self-induced blindness). Christ denounced these doctrines and traditions of men within the Spirit of truth, as the ego driven desires are within men, resist them.

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their mind set on what their nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit wants: Along came the tempter; the lust of the eyes (understanding of the mind), lust of the flesh (a heart of emotion) and the pride of life (the desires of the will). Thus, while the first Adam conceded to all that is in the world (that which extends deep down from the surface - yet, it is visible through distinctive traits or characteristics common to all humanity); the second Adam stood his ground against the natural disposition of the soul, and the temperament within that of other men.

I am willing to send you a flashlight, So, you won't stumble anymore in the darkness that has consumed you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 07:48 PM
 
21,883 posts, read 16,702,058 times
Reputation: 8704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post

Adversity is a principle that results in active resistance, opposition, or contentiousness within the human nature. And the Hebrew term for Satan merely describes an adversarial role (an adversary). Whereas, an accuser (slanderer, devil) is known for his unrighteous disposition. However, the principalities and powers of unholy (human) messengers, had inculcated the doctrines of demons, devils and Satan in the early views of men; falsely fostering and prospering them. Truth becomes known, when deception falls away (that of self-induced blindness). Christ denounced these doctrines and traditions of men within the Spirit of truth, as the ego driven desires are within men, resist them.

Those who live according to the sinful nature have their mind set on what their nature desires, but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their mind set on what the Spirit wants: Along came the tempter; the lust of the eyes (understanding of the mind), lust of the flesh (a heart of emotion) and the pride of life (the desires of the will). Thus, while the first Adam conceded to all that is in the world (that which extends deep down from the surface - yet, it is visible through distinctive traits or characteristics common to all humanity); the second Adam stood his ground against the natural disposition of the soul, and the temperament within that of other men.

I am willing to send you a flashlight, So, you won't stumble anymore in the darkness that has consumed you.
I'm not the one stumbling. When Jesus spoke to Satan during His temptations in the desert He was speaking to an actual supernatural entity. And when He cast out demons from a person, He was casting out actual entities as the text plainly states. Again, you simply refuse to believe what the Biblical writers wrote because of your anti-supernaturalistic presuppositions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2018, 10:12 PM
 
20,419 posts, read 9,834,499 times
Reputation: 1678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm not the one stumbling. When Jesus spoke to Satan during His temptations in the desert He was speaking to an actual supernatural entity. And when He cast out demons from a person, He was casting out actual entities as the text plainly states. Again, you simply refuse to believe what the Biblical writers wrote because of your anti-supernaturalistic presuppositions.
You should take a closer look at what it is you profess to believe, instead of shaking the bush and screaming wolf. He was speaking with the hierarchy of the temple or if you prefer, the chief Priests who were his adversary. You might also want to study the various aspects of what it is to have mental health issues, where you hear a multitude of voices, including your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2018, 07:57 AM
 
21,883 posts, read 16,702,058 times
Reputation: 8704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I'm not the one stumbling. When Jesus spoke to Satan during His temptations in the desert He was speaking to an actual supernatural entity. And when He cast out demons from a person, He was casting out actual entities as the text plainly states. Again, you simply refuse to believe what the Biblical writers wrote because of your anti-supernaturalistic presuppositions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
You should take a closer look at what it is you profess to believe, instead of shaking the bush and screaming wolf. He was speaking with the hierarchy of the temple or if you prefer, the chief Priests who were his adversary.
I was very clearly referring to Jesus' temptations in the desert where He was tempted by Satan.
Quote:
You might also want to study the various aspects of what it is to have mental health issues, where you hear a multitude of voices, including your own.
To deny the possibility of supernatural entities and supernatural realms of existence is just as arrogant as denying the possibility of life on other planets. The supernatural realm of existence is just as real as the realm of existence in which we live. Again, you can't get past your anti-supernaturalistic pre-suppositions and must imagine that those who believe in the supernatural and accept the Biblical revelation of such of having mental health issues and voices in their head.

Last edited by Mike555; 12-18-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top