U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2018, 07:20 AM
 
246 posts, read 205,475 times
Reputation: 290

Advertisements

I grew up with little to no religious influence. When I was 18 I started going to an Apostolic Pentecostal church. I went for 10 years, was baptized there and spoke in tongues, the whole 9 yards.

I've never liked how they believe they alone have all truth, and other Christians just have a part of it. I did a lot of research, but I never came to a complete understanding of whether they truly do have it all or not.

But the services tend to be loud and showy. I remember the worship leader would get angry at times if we weren't getting into worship enough meaning: raising hands, shouting, dancing, or even running. I never cared much for that or those kinds of noisy, wild environments so this never sat well with me.

The more I see it, I kind of doubt any group after the apostles died can truly be "Apostolic" in their sense of the meaning. They claim they follow the apostles doctrine and that we are the true church, no one else is "saved". I also have doubts about the whole tongues thing. I don't believe in the prayer language or many of the tongue talking I heard in church.

Another thing I liked at first, but later found to be weird is everyone dresses pretty much the same. Women in dresses, no jewelry, no makeup, no cut hair. Men have to have short hair, no jewelry, no shorts, usually no beards. They don't push these as much, but if you want to fit in and be considered submitted to the ministry you need to follow them. I see it as a cookie cutter mentality wanting everyone to look the same. None of those teachings are spelled out in the Bible either, yet they claim they have the authority by the Holy Spirit to make the rules to be obeyed if you want to be blessed. "Obedience is better than sacrifice".

If you don't know, the Apostolic Pentecostal church believes you must be baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you to have your sins washed away, AND speak in tongues to prove you have the Holy Spirit in you. For most of them, any other way means you only believe in Christ but aren't truly converted.

I don't think I believe in all that stuff anymore, the dress standards were the first thing I saw that didn't really hold up.

It's been a long time since I've been to church, but I think I need to go back. I feel a drawing but I don't know where to go. I've thought about a more quiet, liturgical church. Lutheran maybe, or Presbyterian. I just don't know if those will be a good fit because I'm 29 years old and it's been my experience that those kinds of churches are shrinking and dying off, I'm guessing because younger people find them boring, to be honest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2018, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
Reputation: 61722
What you describe sounds like my idea of hell. I like my religion quiet and plain. How these hootenanny churches think people can receive god with all that noise is beyond me.

I was raised in a quiet, formal northeastern baptist church, but now I live in the south and the Baptists here don’t fit me. I have tried Lutheran and episcopal, but I find the services hard to follow. The best fit for me has been Presbyterian.

OP, you just need to try them on until you find a service that makes you feel good, and a congregation of people you feel comfortable with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 07:38 AM
 
1,280 posts, read 434,479 times
Reputation: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
It's been a long time since I've been to church, but I think I need to go back. I feel a drawing but I don't know where to go. I've thought about a more quiet, liturgical church. Lutheran maybe, or Presbyterian. I just don't know if those will be a good fit because I'm 29 years old and it's been my experience that those kinds of churches are shrinking and dying off, I'm guessing because younger people find them boring, to be honest.
There are numerous Presbyterian denominations:

Presbyterian Church (USA): Mainstream and increasingly "progressive". The denomination is shrinking, but often because more conservative churches split and moved to other denominations. Each individual church generally is holding steady unless it's had a church-specific issue.

Evangelical Covenant Order of Presbyterians (ECO): Nearly identical to the Presbyterian Church (USA) except that non-celibate gays cannot be ordained, and pro-Israel. This denomination is growing.

Evangelical Presbyterian Church: Close to ECO, and growing.

Presbyterian Church in America: Similar to ECO and the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, but more conservative than those two; this one does not ordain women as officers or ministers. This denomination is growing.

A bunch of others: pretty conservative/fundamentalist. I don't know much about them.

You may find the four that I list above to your taste. Try a contemporary service at one of them or any service at any of them (particularly ones other than the Presbyterian Church (USA)); there are likely to be plenty of young people there. I'm not a fan of churches that are overtly conservative- and Presbyterian Church in America ones might be- or overly liberal- and some Presbyterian Church (USA) ones are- but all of the denominations I list above are worth checking out. I would look up the denominations' websites and then use the church locators on them to find a local one, and shop around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 07:54 AM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,093 posts, read 23,910,510 times
Reputation: 7812
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I grew up with little to no religious influence. When I was 18 I started going to an Apostolic Pentecostal church. I went for 10 years, was baptized there and spoke in tongues, the whole 9 yards.

I've never liked how they believe they alone have all truth, and other Christians just have a part of it. I did a lot of research, but I never came to a complete understanding of whether they truly do have it all or not.

But the services tend to be loud and showy. I remember the worship leader would get angry at times if we weren't getting into worship enough meaning: raising hands, shouting, dancing, or even running. I never cared much for that or those kinds of noisy, wild environments so this never sat well with me.

The more I see it, I kind of doubt any group after the apostles died can truly be "Apostolic" in their sense of the meaning. They claim they follow the apostles doctrine and that we are the true church, no one else is "saved". I also have doubts about the whole tongues thing. I don't believe in the prayer language or many of the tongue talking I heard in church.

Another thing I liked at first, but later found to be weird is everyone dresses pretty much the same. Women in dresses, no jewelry, no makeup, no cut hair. Men have to have short hair, no jewelry, no shorts, usually no beards. They don't push these as much, but if you want to fit in and be considered submitted to the ministry you need to follow them. I see it as a cookie cutter mentality wanting everyone to look the same. None of those teachings are spelled out in the Bible either, yet they claim they have the authority by the Holy Spirit to make the rules to be obeyed if you want to be blessed. "Obedience is better than sacrifice".

If you don't know, the Apostolic Pentecostal church believes you must be baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you to have your sins washed away, AND speak in tongues to prove you have the Holy Spirit in you. For most of them, any other way means you only believe in Christ but aren't truly converted.

I don't think I believe in all that stuff anymore, the dress standards were the first thing I saw that didn't really hold up.

It's been a long time since I've been to church, but I think I need to go back. I feel a drawing but I don't know where to go. I've thought about a more quiet, liturgical church. Lutheran maybe, or Presbyterian. I just don't know if those will be a good fit because I'm 29 years old and it's been my experience that those kinds of churches are shrinking and dying off, I'm guessing because younger people find them boring, to be honest.

I wold suggest spending some quality time in an Episcopalian or any church that is welcoming and AFFIRMING of ALL people regardless...

Any church that LIVES the words of Christ---

All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away.-----JOHN 6:37
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 08:09 AM
 
Location: USA
15,906 posts, read 8,170,566 times
Reputation: 2103
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
...

It's been a long time since I've been to church, but I think I need to go back. I feel a drawing but I don't know where to go. I've thought about a more quiet, liturgical church. Lutheran maybe, or Presbyterian. I just don't know if those will be a good fit because I'm 29 years old and it's been my experience that those kinds of churches are shrinking and dying off, I'm guessing because younger people find them boring, to be honest.

Do you know what you’re feeling drawn to? Is it a deeper connection to God? If so, it seems many people find meditation and/or time in nature is actually more conducive for that because many churches, unintentionally perhaps, insert themselves into a role of mediator between God and people, imposing their rules about what you have to believe and do to have a closer connection to God.

But, if you’re looking for fellowship or opportunities to serve others, a church can help with that. So can other organizations. Im just suggesting you have a very clear idea in your mind about what you are being drawn to, because that may help you find what you really want more easily and quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,377 posts, read 12,133,948 times
Reputation: 16624
It's fun to go to new churches each Sunday...some have 25 people and meet in Hotel meeting rooms...they
are Evangelicals with small followings and food afterwords, ha....healings....just not the show of the bigger churches.
The other ones I have tried are so amazingly 'canned', no life., even depressive in the sermons!
If you are a white person you should do fine in a Presb. Church....Asian, black or gay...not so welcoming...you'll see....rather, you will hear if you get into the inner circles what they really feel.

I went to a biker Christian Church 2-3 xs...what fun, fresh ground coffee, donuts...I knew some scruffy people already because I ran into them at Goodwill...it was hugs all around, (I'm a pretty friendly person.)
But the pastor, tho so good intentioned, would give his own testimonials of his personal trials to
be able to 'come down to their level and be relatable',

(saw this at the Church of Christ Church, also...
OH and even at a Unity Church with a very subtly negative pastor, boy did they ever lose part of the congregation when she was voted in by the majority that liked her commiserating with their own problems!)...never saying uplifting things filled with hope and
inspiring the group by explaining how he /she applied Jesus' teachings and pulled themselves up and out of their doubts; and 'so can you'..never...I had to stop going.

Their message was , we are all just human, um, No, we're NOT!


My little ramble...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,699 posts, read 8,487,248 times
Reputation: 29399
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatsgoingon4 View Post
I grew up with little to no religious influence. When I was 18 I started going to an Apostolic Pentecostal church. I went for 10 years, was baptized there and spoke in tongues, the whole 9 yards.

I've never liked how they believe they alone have all truth, and other Christians just have a part of it. I did a lot of research, but I never came to a complete understanding of whether they truly do have it all or not.

But the services tend to be loud and showy. I remember the worship leader would get angry at times if we weren't getting into worship enough meaning: raising hands, shouting, dancing, or even running. I never cared much for that or those kinds of noisy, wild environments so this never sat well with me.

The more I see it, I kind of doubt any group after the apostles died can truly be "Apostolic" in their sense of the meaning. They claim they follow the apostles doctrine and that we are the true church, no one else is "saved". I also have doubts about the whole tongues thing. I don't believe in the prayer language or many of the tongue talking I heard in church.

Another thing I liked at first, but later found to be weird is everyone dresses pretty much the same. Women in dresses, no jewelry, no makeup, no cut hair. Men have to have short hair, no jewelry, no shorts, usually no beards. They don't push these as much, but if you want to fit in and be considered submitted to the ministry you need to follow them. I see it as a cookie cutter mentality wanting everyone to look the same. None of those teachings are spelled out in the Bible either, yet they claim they have the authority by the Holy Spirit to make the rules to be obeyed if you want to be blessed. "Obedience is better than sacrifice".

If you don't know, the Apostolic Pentecostal church believes you must be baptized with the name of Jesus spoken over you to have your sins washed away, AND speak in tongues to prove you have the Holy Spirit in you. For most of them, any other way means you only believe in Christ but aren't truly converted.

I don't think I believe in all that stuff anymore, the dress standards were the first thing I saw that didn't really hold up.

It's been a long time since I've been to church, but I think I need to go back. I feel a drawing but I don't know where to go. I've thought about a more quiet, liturgical church. Lutheran maybe, or Presbyterian. I just don't know if those will be a good fit because I'm 29 years old and it's been my experience that those kinds of churches are shrinking and dying off, I'm guessing because younger people find them boring, to be honest.
It's so funny you're talking about that. My sister is Apostolic and I'm Episcopal. I think the Episcopal church might be right for you. I went to her Apostolic church and didn't care for the service either. It seemed to me like much of it was a show and people were just faking it. I also didn't like all the clothing restrictions. The Episcopal church service is more ritual and regimented but people are quieter and more reserved. I am introverted, not a hugger, and hate talking to strangers, and feel much more comfortable there. The level of conservatism varies among congregations, but the standing joke is that the denomination is "watered down Catholicism." It's more about what you feel spiritually in your heart and not your outward displays of your faith. Communion is usually observed at every service and there is a lot of recitations of various things in the Book of Common Prayer. There are some hymns and a sermon, but the sermon is short so no one falls asleep. It's all very civilized. If you want to become a member of the Episcopal church, you are required to go to a few confirmation classes (4 I think, but it's been a long time) in which you learn the basics of the denomination as opposed to others and agree that you believe in the Christian doctrines. Baptism is not necessary. It is a Trinitarian faith.

As for your idea that these churches are shrinking, I believe you're right. So by joining such a church, you're adding one member, are you not? It's all about what is comfortable for you. And people are becoming less religious in general. Episcopal churches are far away from me (over an hour) so it's difficult for me to get there. I am still a member of the Episcopal church, the one Barbara Bush attended, in fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 01:36 PM
 
20,389 posts, read 9,828,032 times
Reputation: 1677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do you know what you’re feeling drawn to? Is it a deeper connection to God? If so, it seems many people find meditation and/or time in nature is actually more conducive for that because many churches, unintentionally perhaps, insert themselves into a role of mediator between God and people, imposing their rules about what you have to believe and do to have a closer connection to God.

But, if you’re looking for fellowship or opportunities to serve others, a church can help with that. So can other organizations. I'm just suggesting you have a very clear idea in your mind about what you are being drawn to, because that may help you find what you really want more easily and quickly.
I wish more people had your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM
 
40,056 posts, read 26,739,576 times
Reputation: 6050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Do you know what you’re feeling drawn to? Is it a deeper connection to God? If so, it seems many people find meditation and/or time in nature is actually more conducive for that because many churches, unintentionally perhaps, insert themselves into a role of mediator between God and people, imposing their rules about what you have to believe and do to have a closer connection to God.

But, if you’re looking for fellowship or opportunities to serve others, a church can help with that. So can other organizations. Im just suggesting you have a very clear idea in your mind about what you are being drawn to, because that may help you find what you really want more easily and quickly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I wish more people had your insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2018, 03:26 PM
 
246 posts, read 205,475 times
Reputation: 290
I just want to know if they're right or wrong. The Apostolics always say repent + baptism in Jesus name + speak in tongues, or not converted, not going to heaven. Might as well not even go to church if that's not what they believe.

Yet, I don't see any church in the history of Christianity that taught all of that. But, that's what they seem to come up with. So, was this some thing in the Bible that got lost after the early church, or is it something they read into the Bible.

Because there are many of them that believe their church is the only right one and all others but theirs is wrong. They are in every city, teaching that theirs alone is the true church in that town. "No one comes to the Father but by us." You must submit to our authority, to our leaders, pastors or you can't find God like we do.

So are they right about that or are they wrong? Are Apostolics really "Apostolic" and follow the apostles doctrine as they claim or are they mixed up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top