Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 05:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 843,529 times

Advertisements

My church is launching a sermon series on political and social issues, with a church-wide discussion forum after each sermon. The sermon topics will be:

* Gun violence
* Race
* Environmental matters
* Immigration

The church and its clergy are generally center-left to far left-wing.

Anyone in town is welcome, and people who have families and time-consuming jobs generally don't go to "discussion forums" (where people will just have Q&A).

Doesn't this sound like a TERRIBLE idea? Based on my long history in that church, I know that there will be one-sided sermons that, while not overtly partisan, will just be the speaker's view of a political issue, with limited Biblical analysis, and nothing about personal spiritual growth.

Wouldn't it be better for sermons to focus on personal spiritual development, or even just Scriptural analysis of the Bible (chapter by chapter) and what it means for us today?

Or would you go for this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2018, 05:04 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,053,585 times
It sounds like you're prejudging. If it was my church and the topics were of interest, I'd attend with an open mind.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:19 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,854,743 times
The principles Jesus taught are meant to be applied in the world we live in. An intention to discern how the spirit would best be followed would be an excellent thing if it could be in our political climate. It is unfortunate that many of us proceed from closely held ideas about that not open to checking what others have to say. If the various agendas can be contained I'd say go for it.

Old 12-01-2018, 05:30 PM

1,279 posts, read 843,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
If the various agendas can be contained I'd say go for it.

That's the issue: it'll just be nearly all personal agendas (pastors, and crazies in the Q&A sessions) and almost no Jesus.

If it were lots of Jesus and little personal agenda, I'd be there, in the front row.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:28 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,694,313 times
There was a time when churches honored the law (I think it's the Johnson act, or something like that) which forbids tax exempt organizations from dabbling in politics. But that was a long time ago when it was taken seriously.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:40 PM

17,156 posts, read 11,328,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
...Doesn't this sound like a TERRIBLE idea? ...
Yes.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:28 PM

45,318 posts, read 26,871,946 times
Quote:
My church is launching a sermon series on political and social issues, with a church-wide discussion forum after each sermon. The sermon topics will be:

* Gun violence
* Race
* Environmental matters
* Immigration

Anyone in town is welcome, and people who have families and time-consuming jobs generally don't go to "discussion forums" (where people will just have Q&A).

Doesn't this sound like a TERRIBLE idea? Based on my long history in that church, I know that there will be one-sided sermons that, while not overtly partisan, will just be the speaker's view of a political issue, with limited Biblical analysis, and nothing about personal spiritual growth.

Wouldn't it be better for sermons to focus on personal spiritual development, or even just Scriptural analysis of the Bible (chapter by chapter) and what it means for us today?

So what's the purpose?

If an assembly defines itself as Christ centered, the focus should be to glorify god, or striving to advance His kingdom.

How will bringing forth these topics help?

I am not presuming that it can't be done - I am just asking the question.

Old 12-02-2018, 02:40 AM

9,672 posts, read 9,950,375 times
May sound intriguing But most political threads in Christianity forum could get shut down

Old 12-02-2018, 02:42 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,765,677 times
"The reason the church often has so little influence in the world, is that the world has so much influence in the church" C. Spurgeon

Christianity can and should speak to modern social issues, but, not to the degree where the speaker's political bias exceeds their Biblical and Christ-centered focus. You didn't say what 'church' you are in, but, several of your comments suggest that Christ and Scripture are more of a 'backdrop' for political opinions, than center stage.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:06 PM

28 posts, read 11,483 times
Quote:

* Gun violence
* Race
* Environmental matters
* Immigration

Your church is a man made church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity