Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 06:59 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times

Advertisements

Christians believe some interesting things.

But then, I believe if I sit on a big rock long enough, it becomes aware of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 07:18 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You're welcome. I just revised my initial comment to include another couple of thoughts. If you have the time and are so inclined, I'd appreciate your sharing your perspective.
I think you said it very well. And I tend to agree based on the text that the resurrection body will not have blood but very much will have flesh and bone. It'll be interesting to find out just what the resurrection body is fully capable of once we are resurrected.

The Jehovah's Witnesses do have some unorthodox beliefs. Their take on Jesus' resurrection body not being physical reminds me of docetism which was a belief of some that Jesus really didn't have a body and only seemed to be human. It was a denial that Jesus had come in the flesh.

Last edited by Michael Way; 12-19-2018 at 07:33 PM..

Old 12-19-2018, 07:40 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Something occurred to me.

To be absent with the Body is to be Present with the Lord
Today, you shall be with me in Paradise.

So when we die, as a Christian, let's say right now, we are immediately with our God.

Then....later....our bodies are resurrected. Let's say in a decade.

Yet... if we taken on a glorified body, why do we need our Physical bodies resurrected? I mean, it reads

All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Eclesiastes 3

Maybe only those bodies which haven't rot yet are risen? Thanks

Believers go immediately to be with the Lord in the spirit. Believers get their glorified bodies in the rapture, it will be exactly like the Lords was. We will be flesh and bone NO blood, and be powered by the Holy Spirit eternally. Keep looking up.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 PM

421 posts, read 153,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
A physical body would break down a door or wall. Only a spirit body would Not.
Before God sent the pre-human Jesus to Earth, Jesus had a spirit body.
Since Jesus used different 'materialized bodies' after he was resurrected shows he had a spirit body that could Not be seen.
Since you guys are talking about it:

What body did Jesus have when He met with Abraham at the end of Genesis 14?

Or when He went to check out Sodom and Gomorrah and stopped to eat with Abraham and Sarah?

Or when He wrestled with Jacob?

Or when He was in the fire with the 3 Hebrew children?

Was that Jesus, or an angel, or a different incarnation of God, or did He even have a physical body then?

Just thought I'd add something to complicate the conversation a little bit.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:22 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,161,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Since you guys are talking about it:

What body did Jesus have when He met with Abraham at the end of Genesis 14?

Or when He went to check out Sodom and Gomorrah and stopped to eat with Abraham and Sarah?

Or when He wrestled with Jacob?

Or when He was in the fire with the 3 Hebrew children?

Was that Jesus, or an angel, or a different incarnation of God, or did He even have a physical body then?

Just thought I'd add something to complicate the conversation a little bit.

Physical body.......

Old 12-20-2018, 09:39 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You misunderstand. The resurrection body is the glorified body. When we die, the soul and spirit of the believer separates from the body and goes into the presence of the Lord in Heaven while the body goes into the grave. There may or may not be an interim body of sorts in heaven, Revelation 7:9-13 suggests that there is. But that is not the resurrection body which will indeed be a glorified spiritual body that is yet a body of flesh, just as Jesus' resurrected body was and is flesh. Recall that Jesus demonstrated to His apostles after He had been raised, that He was not a spirit, but that He was flesh and bone. The resurrection body is a glorified physical body that is spiritual, but not spirit.
Luke 24:39 "See My hands and My feet, that it is I Myself; touch Me and see, for a spirit does not have flesh and bones as you see that I have."
It is not God's plan for the believer to go through eternity as an immaterial spirit.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,575,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeHunter View Post
Something occurred to me.

To be absent with the Body is to be Present with the Lord
Today, you shall be with me in Paradise.

So when we die, as a Christian, let's say right now, we are immediately with our God.

Then....later....our bodies are resurrected. Let's say in a decade.

Yet... if we taken on a glorified body, why do we need our Physical bodies resurrected? I mean, it reads

All go unto one place; all are of the dust, and all turn to dust again. Eclesiastes 3

Maybe only those bodies which haven't rot yet are risen? Thanks
The way I understand it, EVERY physical body of EVERY person that has EVER lived, will walk the earth again when this happens.the ground and the sea will give up their dead.

Ive wondered about this event too, but I imagine it will not look like 'return of the living dead' or something similar, with skeletons and rotting corpses suddenly alive and walking around again.

They will probably return to the condition to when they were alive.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:21 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,547,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
Believers go immediately to be with the Lord in the spirit. Believers get their glorified bodies in the rapture, it will be exactly like the Lords was. We will be flesh and bone NO blood, and be powered by the Holy Spirit eternally. Keep looking up.
This is what I was taught.

Old 12-21-2018, 04:37 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,601,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
That’s not what your good book says. You will be dirt napping until jusus returns. Learn your bible.

1 Thessalonians 4:14–16
14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again,u and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.v 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord,w will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.x 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven,y with a loud command, with the voice of the archangelz and with the trumpet call of God,a and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Pick and choose.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:32 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
That’s not what your good book says. You will be dirt napping until jusus returns. Learn your bible.

1 Thessalonians 4:14–16
14 For we believe that Jesus died and rose again,u and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.v 15 According to the Lord’s word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord,w will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.x 16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven,y with a loud command, with the voice of the archangelz and with the trumpet call of God,a and the dead in Christ will rise first.
Quote:
Pick and choose.
The word 'sleep' in the Bible is used as a metaphor for physical death. Physical death is simply the separation of the soul and spirit from the body. The soul and spirit of the believer go into the presence of the Lord in heaven. This is seen in Revelation 7:9-15 which refers to martyred Tribulational saints who are in heaven.

In 1 Thessalonians 4:14-16 Paul is referring to the rapture and resurrection of the church which both occur as part of the same event. The ones who 'God will bring with Jesus' are those who, having died, are with the Lord in heaven.

When in Philippians 1:23 Paul spoke of desiring to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better, he wasn't referring to being asleep in some grave, for Jesus is not said in the Bible to be in a grave, but having risen, is at the right hand of the Father (Acts 7:55–56; Romans 8:34; Ephesians 1:20; Colossians 3:1).

The Bible simply does not teach soul sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity