Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:37 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,325,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post

Sorry, was I too late? I hope you weren't actually worshiping your tree just now.

I don't know what the just punishment for that is, but I'm sure I can find some people who will judge you for it, if you'd like that.
LOL

Put it on my tab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 12:46 PM

421 posts, read 153,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
LOL

Put it on my tab.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:59 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
These verses are about LITERAL idols, cut from wood and covered with gold and silver. It says that they have to be carried because they can not move on their own, and that they are not capable of good or evil. Verse 6 contrasts them with God.

Rebuking LITERAL idolatry was a common theme among the Old Testament prophets.

Don't worship or pray to your Christmas tree (I know, it's tempting), and you'll be fine.
Can I sing to it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3d6JMLaRzQ

Don't tell my tree, but I sing to my other plants too. And if I could sing like Aretha, they'd probably even like it.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:15 PM

421 posts, read 153,443 times
I think that's good for plants. So I've heard, anyway. I talk to my car.

Old 12-24-2018, 01:28 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I think that's good for plants. So I've heard, anyway. I talk to my car.
My daughter talks to the rickety old elevator in her dorm, encouraging it not to kill or trap her.

Pretty sure she's not worshipping it.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:05 PM

1,259 posts, read 564,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
You apparently don’t understand that all these descriptions of the birth etc were written at the least 100 years after it happened based stories that people elaborated on over time. And then after that they were translated and re translated and re translated until even the distorted original meaning has been changed. Heck, I recently heard a whole bunch of phrases from the 20’s that I don’t understand. All languages are also built on metaphors that are part of people’s experience. Once the people all die, no one knows what the metaphors mean anymore, and so while we can translate the words, we have no idea what they mean.

Do you know how many religious wars have been fought because people simply disagreed with interpretations of “scriptureâ€, and used it as a reason to KILL others, despite the fact that there is NOTHING in the new testament or old that says this is A-OK?

And the big key of all of it is LOVE. But that’s forgotten by people who have to be right.

At the moment the Shiites and the Sunni moslems are doing the same thing to each other because they have different interpretations of the same scripture, despite the FACT that nowhere in their scripture does it give them permission to kill each other.

No, how many religious wars have been fought over what you say is nothing but interpretations? I haven't been to find that statistic.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
So let me get this straight: you stopped buying Christmas trees because a 4,000 year-old book says only heathens cut down trees.

Did you ever stop to think you are contributing to the starvation of fir tree growers who rely on this income to put food on the table for their families which itself is a sin again the Lord?

I mostly had the fake ones when I celebrated Christmas and I believe those actually were made by destroying more of the environment than cutting down a real one.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:08 PM

Quote:
These verses are about LITERAL idols, cut from wood and covered with gold and silver. It says that they have to be carried because they can not move on their own, and that they are not capable of good or evil. Verse 6 contrasts them with God.

Rebuking LITERAL idolatry was a common theme among the Old Testament prophets.

Don't worship or pray to your Christmas tree (I know, it's tempting), and you'll be fine.

Thanks hball. I won't celebrate it all, that way those idols can't fool me into worshipping them.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:13 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Do you want me to bring you a plate?
Hahaha.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:27 PM

As Philo said:

nothing which is accounted worthy of honour may be separated from the number seven

You see all festivals and appoints of God are made around the Lunar phases and the those are aligned with the number 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity