Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 08:52 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Well, the purpose of a parable is to teach a lesson, but since you can offer no lesson, I am left to conclude my understanding is correct.
To who ? The believing or the unbelieving?. The understanding of a parable was hidden too, to the believing or unbelieving?. You are digging a deeper hole for yourself, but you are to blind to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
To who ? The believing or the unbelieving?. The understanding of a parable was hidden too, to the believing or unbelieving?. You are digging a deeper hole for yourself, but you are to blind to see it.
To him that would hear.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:54 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
He needs to research what a parable is before he researches what it means. This is what i have been trying get at. He is not willing to receive anything from me because first he thinks i'm a unversalist and they cannot be right anything, i don't agree that the bible is infallible and inerrant so how could i possibly see what he doesn't see?.

The easiest thing i could do now is copy and paste a more eloquent understanding of the parable than i could ever post, but i would prefer to give him my brief understanding that it's simply a changing of guards once he humbles himself and admits he's wrong about what a parable is and his understanding of the parable in question. I also foretold he would come back and deny it was a parable to try and save face.
A changing of the guards is a good way of putting it.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:59 PM

Quote:
I can agree with your first two paragraphs, but not the last. You give me no reason to change my mind on the reality of heaven & hell.
Heaven and hell are two inflectional points of an apparent path for all humanity called life and death.
Personally, I couldn't care less if you altered your view which by the way is NOT anywhere close to reality.

And, no, I wasn't looking for that of another, nor do I need Gotquestions.com to speak for me.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Heaven and hell are two inflectional points of an apparent path for all humanity called life and death.
Personally, I couldn't care less if you altered your view which by the way is NOT anywhere close to reality.

And, no, I wasn't looking for that of another, nor do I need Gotquestions.com to speak for me.
What reality was Jesus referring to, if not heaven (paradise) and hell?

Old 12-29-2018, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Are you seeking or just trying to justify your own belief in the most vile doctrine known to man?.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:
A changing of the guards is a good way of putting it.

Gentlemen, he said
I don't need your organization, I've shined your shoes
I've moved your mountains and marked your cards
But Eden is burning, either getting ready for elimination
Or else your hearts must have the courage for the changing of the guards

Bob Dylan

Old 12-29-2018, 09:15 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,680,370 times
Quote:
Jesus was warning those who wore the purple and fine linen of an earthly judgment that was soon coming. Being massacred and thrown in the fiery garbage dump outside of Jerusalem in the Valley of Gehenna would be a fate far worse than drowning in the sea. And they knew this is what Jesus was referring to, as some of the kings of Judah sacrificed their children by fire in this valley.

They also despised everyone outside their gates, like the tax collectors, the prostitutes and all those they presumed were demon possessed or unclean and poor. In other words, they had turned a blind eye to those in need, and wouldn’t lift a finger to help anyone – they were too busy justifying themselves and marginalizing those whom they considered insignificant. Much like the self-righteous of today.

The only thing literal in the parable is that Jesus was talking about them, and he used that which could not be confused with anything else. It had nothing to do with heaven and hell as you have been taught, and Gotquestions.com isn't a big help. Try doing more research for yourself, you might find it beneficial.
Yep... the guard changed from the Judaism to Christianity but the heart stayed the same, the Roman Catholic church did oppress the people and the protestants did start the process of change but what came out of it try to cling to ritual and traditions instead coming together to understand what the scriptures are about and are still looking after their own interests instead of the community, the Christian that is still looking for a personal saviour to save them from being part of the human race and is quite happy with the thought that all other people will be roasted eternally are not going to get what they are looking for I believe, the human race is going no where. I believe that Christianity will continue to fragment and change and that eventually they will learn what the Kingdom of God is about which is loving God BY loving your neighbour

Old 12-29-2018, 09:22 PM

Quote:
The highest culminating point of their religion was that of sin and death, there was no life in it.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Are you seeking or just trying to justify your own belief in the most vile doctrine known to man?.
I’m seeking to know the meaning of this passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity