Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 08:17 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,829,894 times

Advertisements

The problem with picking and choosing parts of Scripture/the Bible to disbelieve .... is that it undermines whatever parts of one chooses to believe. Scripture (the Bible) is either one's truth standard - or it is not.

A "Christian" believes, trusts and submits to the teachings and Lordship of Jesus Christ, as presented in Scripture/the Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 08:30 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
The problem with picking and choosing parts of Scripture/the Bible to disbelieve .... is that it undermines whatever parts of one chooses to believe. Scripture (the Bible) is either one's truth standard - or it is not.

A "Christian" believes, trusts and submits to the teachings and Lordship of Jesus Christ, as presented in Scripture/the Bible.
The lordship of Christ is to lead the people of God to repentance of their apostasy (ruling with the rod of iron which is Rome) All these things are prophecied in the old and are fulfilled in the new

The Protestants started to repent but didn't let go of all of the doctrines they had learnt

Old 12-26-2018, 09:17 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post

The problem with believing that all of the Bible is authority instead of the promised "guide" is that there is no way to explain all the contradictory perceptions and requirements including the very promise of that guide and the characteristics described against wishful thinking by those who don't trust what their vaunted scriptures say about that.... The Bible is the "truth standard" of thousands of warring denominations. Shouldn't that tell you SOMETHING?

Old 12-26-2018, 09:58 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
I never heard anyone bring that up except for here...or give a list.
Thank you for giving your views on this.

If anyone ends up questioning me personally...I'm not the issue, ha...but, I find
great wisdom in both....have applied both and have found many things to 'work' or
be true...making my life a breeze in so doing.
If pressed I can give examples (only to benefit someone to practice them, also, and see!!)
Jesus told his apostles not to worry about what to say. He told them the Holy Spirit would speak through them. Jesus was saying what the apostles tell us is what he would tell us.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:58 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Jesus told his apostles not to worry about what to say. He told them the Holy Spirit would speak through them. Jesus was saying what the apostles tell us is what he would tell us.
But He was not saying that it would be infallibly recorded or that those "records" would be authority over the guide He promised and described.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:26 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
But He was not saying that it would be infallibly recorded or that those "records" would be authority over the guide He promised and described.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
I agree, and actually if you look closely you can see where man takes over from God and introduces the traditions of man

Like here

Exo 18:1 And Jethro the priest of Midian, the father-in-law of Moses, heard all that which God had done for Moses and for His people Israel, that Jehovah had caused Israel to go out from Egypt.
Exo 18:2 And Jethro, Moses' father-in-law, took Zipporah, Moses' wife, (after Moses had sent her away,)
Exo 18:3 and her two sons, one's name was Gershom (for he said, I have become an alien in a foreign land)
Exo 18:4 and one's name was Eliezer (for the God of my father was my Help, and delivered me from the sword of Pharaoh).

Exo 18:12 And Jethro, the father-in-law of Moses, took a burnt offering and sacrifices to God. And Aaron and all the elders of Israel came to eat bread before God with Moses' father-in-law.

Exo 18:19 Now listen to my voice. I will counsel you, and may God be with you. You be for this people before God, and you bring the matters to God.
Exo 18:20 And you warn them as to the statutes and the laws, and make known to them the way in which they should walk, and the work which they should do.
Exo 18:21 And you, you shall look out men of ability out of all the people, who fear God, men of truth, hating unjust gain. And you place these over them as rulers of thousands, rulers of hundreds, rulers of fifties, and rulers of tens.
Exo 18:22 And let them judge the people at all times. And it shall be that every great matter they shall bring to you, and every small matter they shall judge. And you make it easy on yourself, and let them bear with you.

God was feeding the children of Israel manna in the wilderness but Israel did not want to listen to God, and Jethro comes and tells Moses what to do

Old 12-28-2018, 02:04 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,506,675 times
Quote:
Jesus said these things after he rose from the dead so I am sure he knew everything.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:28 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Very true, he never once said their would be addition to the existing scriptures. He is the one the scriptures testify of and those who wrote about him after he appeared encouraged all to believe him and follow him.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
The problem with believing that all of the Bible is authority instead of the promised "guide" is that there is no way to explain all the contradictory perceptions and requirements including the very promise of that guide and the characteristics described against wishful thinking by those who don't trust what their vaunted scriptures say about that.... The Bible is the "truth standard" of thousands of warring denominations. Shouldn't that tell you SOMETHING?
The “guide” was not sent to show individuals how to get to heaven though

It was to lead the people of God into ALL TRUTH

The revelations are the signs that relate to the timing and seasons relating to the kingdom

Act 1:7 And He said to them, It is not yours to know times or seasons which the Father placed in His own authority;
Act 1:8 but you will receive power, the Holy Spirit coming upon you, and you will be witnesses of Me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea, and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let luminaries be in the expanse of the heavens, to divide between the day and the night. And let them be for signs and for seasons, and for days and years.

Deu 4:19 and that you not lift up your eyes towards the heavens and shall see the sun, and the heavens, and you be drawn away and worship them, and serve them; which Jehovah your God has allotted to all the peoples under all the heavens.

Deu 4:20 And Jehovah has taken you, and has brought you forth out of the iron furnace, out of Egypt, to be a people to Him, an inheritance, as it is this day.
Deu 4:21 And Jehovah was angry with me because of your words, and swore I would not pass over the Jordan, and that I might not go into the good land which Jehovah your God is giving to you as an inheritance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity