Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 03:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Now YOU'RE off topic.
lol, did you read your last post, you even threw your prejudices about sex out there. Stay on topic or go clean your church.

Last edited by pcamps; 12-28-2018 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 03:58 PM

11,895 posts, read 3,683,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
So many of my Christian friends (in more conservative/evangelical denominations) say that their churches frown on, or even prohibit, drinking.

However, in my daily devotional a few days ago, Matthew 11:19 appeared:

"The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.'"

To me, this says that Jesus drank (but not to excess).

The Bible clearly prohibits drunkenness, but just a drink here and there? This verse seems to say that's OK, as part of a Christian life of doing good.

Thoughts?
But it’s not about literal food and drink,

Mat 11:18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, He has a demon.
Mat 11:19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold, a gluttonous man and a wine drinker, and a friend of tax collectors, and of sinners. And wisdom was justified by her children.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:08 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
Quote:
So many of my Christian friends (in more conservative/evangelical denominations) say that their churches frown on, or even prohibit, drinking.

"The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.' But wisdom is proved right by her deeds.'"

The Bible clearly prohibits drunkenness, but just a drink here and there? This verse seems to say that's OK, as part of a Christian life of doing good.

Thoughts?
who is banning alcohol??

Old 12-28-2018, 04:10 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Pour the wine and pass the bread (or tacos, or burgers, or...)

After many years doing the Metho and Bapt thing, I got a pleasant surprise one time during communion at a Lutheran Church. Was expecting the old grape juice approach, but they upped the anti quite nicely. Pleasant experience.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-28-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 04:14 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
The Episcopal church down the street from mine has champagne at coffee hour after the service.
Every week? Wow. Haven't seen that before.

We only do on special occasions.

On the other hand, we offer a chalice of grape juice as well as a chalice of wine at the Eucharist.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:18 PM

11,068 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Become Episcopalian. We have wine at our potluck suppers and mimosas at the Easter morning brunch.
Quote:
The Episcopal church down the street from mine has champagne at coffee hour after the service.
Gotta look up the nearest Episcopal Church. Now we're talking

Old 12-28-2018, 04:33 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Read it again.

My point is that people take what they read and only go with 1/2 of it. JUST as they read "Don't get drunk" to say "don't drink"......

They also take the same tact with sex, to suggest that all sex is bad (or good), or how he said he'd love his people, etc...they misread what was written to apply it the way they want to apply it.
OK. I thought you meant specific people on here. I think the OP is talking about churches whose policy is "no alcohol".

Old 12-28-2018, 04:51 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,277,299 times
I remember years ago Andy Wommack visiting the UK after a visit from Germany. He said Germans drank beer at the meetings he held over there. He said the Americans travelling with them could not get their heads around it, but he learned the Germans could not get their heads around how much coffee Americans consumed.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
It was grape juice...

Old 12-28-2018, 05:05 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,019,927 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
The below is speaking about the tithe...

Devarim - Deuteronomy - Chapter 14

26 And you shall turn that money into whatever your soul desires; cattle, sheep, new wine or old wine, or whatever your soul desires, and you shall eat there before the Lord, your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity