Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 04:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

Growing up I was always taught that the new covenant through Jesus did away with old dietary laws, shown in 1 Timothy 4:4 "For Every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it be recieved with thanksgiving." However, I have encountered many websites that say this is misinterpreted to mean that God is accepting of unclean foods when in reality God's law laid out in Leviticus has not changed. Can somebody help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 04:58 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i was raised Roman Catholic and we go by the New Testament. therefore no, we dont follow the dietary laws that those who follow Judeism --followers of the old testament-- follow

Old 04-07-2008, 04:59 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
i will say that during lent we fast on Fridays or do not eat meat on fridays.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:26 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Growing up I was always taught that the new covenant through Jesus did away with old dietary laws, shown in 1 Timothy 4:4 "For Every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it be recieved with thanksgiving." However, I have encountered many websites that say this is misinterpreted to mean that God is accepting of unclean foods when in reality God's law laid out in Leviticus has not changed. Can somebody help me out here?
I think what you have been taught is correct.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:05 PM

224 posts, read 414,507 times
If you read the following Scripture I think that you will find this answers your question in full.

Act 10:9 On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the housetop to pray about the sixth hour:
Act 10:10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a trance,
Act 10:11 And saw heaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet knit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:
Act 10:12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.
Act 10:13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.
Act 10:14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or unclean.
Act 10:15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.
Act 10:16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
you got that completely wrong xxGreyFalconxx......what was being referred to was Peter had referred to the gentiles who had not come to belief in Messiah yet as "Unclean". YHVH (God's) desire was for Peter NOT to view them as unclean as they were still HIS children and worthy of knowing the truth in HIM. A gentile CAN become a believer and will then no longer be a gentile (biblical definition of lost, undone and without God). Note that the vessel was received up again into heaven after offering it 3 times and Peter did NOT eat of it. You missed the point of that scripture sorry...........

Old 06-13-2009, 03:23 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,347 times
most people, including myself, have been taught as you....and we have used scripture to support also.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:39 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,148 times
Consider this scripture. It is about the end times AND it is about the dietary laws and the Sabbath, both of which are violated by Christians (of which I am). This proves that Jesus did not do away with the dietary laws, nor did He change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday. Pay special attention to what is underlined and my comments that are bolded.

Isa 66:12 For thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will extend peace to her like a river, and the glory of the Gentiles like a flowing stream: then shall ye suck, ye shall be borne upon her sides, and be dandled upon her knees. [Gives us a point in time to associate with]
Isa 66:13 As one whom his mother comforteth, so will I comfort you; and ye shall be comforted in Jerusalem.
Isa 66:14 And when ye see this, your heart shall rejoice, and your bones shall flourish like an herb: and the hand of the LORD shall be known toward his servants, and his indignation toward his enemies. [End Times]
Isa 66:15 For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire. [End Times]
Isa 66:16 For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many. [2nd Coming]
Isa 66:17 They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, [PIG] and the abomination [All things unclean], and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:18 For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
Isa 66:19 And I will set a sign among them, and I will send those that escape of them unto the nations, to Tarshish, Pul, and Lud, that draw the bow, to Tubal, and Javan, to the isles afar off, that have not heard my fame, neither have seen my glory; and they shall declare my glory among the Gentiles.
Isa 66:20 And they shall bring all your brethren for an offering unto the LORD out of all nations upon horses, and in chariots, and in litters, and upon mules, and upon swift beasts, to my holy mountain Jerusalem, saith the LORD, as the children of Israel bring an offering in a clean vessel into the house of the LORD.
Isa 66:21 And I will also take of them for priests and for Levites, saith the LORD.
Isa 66:22 For as the new heavens and the new earth, [This statement proves that it is still a future event] which I will make, shall remain before me, saith the LORD, so shall your seed and your name remain.
Isa 66:23 And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD. [This proves the Sabbath is still required of us today]

This scripture tells me that Yahweh expects us to observe HIS commandments and laws and that man has deceived us for thousands of years to follow the creature and not the Creator. Yahweh never changes and neither does His Son. Anyone who says that Jesus did away with the law, Sabbath or dietary laws is bringing "another" gospel and should not be listened to.

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:16 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,758,372 times
FINALLY the voice of reason. So nice to see a "christian" that has the truth in them. I don't often see that as typical christian teachings run away from Torah and all sense that NOTHING was done away with. They want a ride on the grace train free of charge, but have no idea that more often than not YHVH has stated "IF" in many of HIS statements. There is NO substitute for obedience to HIS word. That never changes. PERIOD.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:22 PM

2,529 posts, read 4,350,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMtnsOnTheMind View Post
This scripture tells me that Yahweh expects us to observe HIS commandments and laws and that man has deceived us for thousands of years to follow the creature and not the Creator. Yahweh never changes and neither does His Son. Anyone who says that Jesus did away with the law, Sabbath or dietary laws is bringing "another" gospel and should not be listened to.
If you truly believe this, you need to obey every law under the OT. Do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity