Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 05:36 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,038,783 times

Advertisements

Nothing attracts unsuspecting flies to a trap like the stench of foul and sweet odors mixed well together.

With all urgency to the Bibliolaters (including Quranists and Vedics), find and pluck out those rotting planks from your eyes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,095,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
What do you mean when you say you have a "personal relationship with Jesus?"

What does that look like in the day-to-day, mundane world?

If you respond, please provide specific details in your own words (no scripture).
Prayer, being aware of His presence, thinking of His will, instead of my own, KNOWING without a doubt that He is all good, knowing, and powerful- that He is in charge, always trustworthy, so I don't have to worry about figuring things out or getting my way.

Old 01-20-2019, 02:57 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,906,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Prayer, being aware of His presence, thinking of His will, instead of my own, KNOWING without a doubt that He is all good, knowing, and powerful- that He is in charge, always trustworthy, so I don't have to worry about figuring things out or getting my way.
What is the will of G-d?...

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Hey, that's big enough for it's own thread, Richard!!!!! Lol.. Very good question...I certainly know
the answer or answers, but I will put a sock in it. No one asked me.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:41 AM

11,022 posts, read 6,560,358 times
Quote:
I was expecting (or hoping for) people who say they "have a relationship with Jesus" to tell SPECIFICALLY how that manifests in their everyday life.

If you SAY you HAVE such a relationship, why can't you describe the relationship?
SIGH. You have probably left the thread, Nobody. Understandable. Just more arguing egos. I am struggling myself, as returning to my faith has left me feeling more guilty, and praying seems so fake to me. I do however, feel appreciative for the beauty of the world around me. The effect for me, is being "OK" with not understanding much of life, as how can we understand the mind of God, who created it? I am OK with not comprehending it all. Now, I feel guilty when I get judgy or critical of someone, when I never used to.

I'll tell you simply how my sister and brother-in-law lives are affected by their R with Jesus.
They are patient and kind to EVERYONE. They have TIME for everyone and shower everyone around them with love and giving. They give their time to all the old folks in the missionary retirement home they live in. Their whole life is about helping others. They are the humblest, least prideful people I have ever met; yet both are PhDs in linguistics. They translated the entire Bible into the Quechua language (descendants of the Incas), while living 40 years in the Peruvian Andes. They keep an extra car just to help out visiting missionaries, or other needy folks.

My sister donates her time to help some Vietnamese immigrants learn English and get jobs. When they hear of a need or problem, they stop whatever they are doing and pray right then and there. They do not judge anyone, but show love to everyone, including gays, etc., who are welcome in their church. Knowing they can turn to Jesus for help and support defines their lives.

What they don't do, is quote Scripture at every turn. Instead, they pattern their lives after how Jesus lived and that is why I have utmost respect for them. Showing love, caring for the sick, poor and disadvantaged.

As I write this, I realize plenty of non-Christians share many of these traits.

I'm sorry no one is answering you. I was thrilled when I discovered there was a Christianity forum as I wanted to share my doubts and questions, but sadly, it is just a place to argue this and that Bible verse.
Battling egos, though I'm sure some mean well---to doesn't appear that way.

Old 01-21-2019, 09:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,250,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
What they don't do, is quote Scripture at every turn.

Instead, they pattern their lives after how Jesus lived and that is why I have utmost respect for them. Showing love, caring for the sick, poor and disadvantaged.
LOL, that part made me laugh...right on!

Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM

1,146 posts, read 643,197 times
Quote:
Few know.

Fewer still want to know.

Protestant Christians are convinced they're on the inside track of God's approval and are rather smug about it.
Everybody else can go to hell as far as they're concerned. They have their ticket for paradise so why care?

Is that God's will?

Hell no, but nobody really REALLY cares.

Everybody has their own opinion and if it sounds good it's accepted by all the fools who've never bothered to study the Bible to find out.

In the end everybody dies.

Taps.

Lights out.

and everybody in church thinks their membership card will save them....

except it won't...

there's no such thing as a fireproof membership card....

but always remember...

nobody cares anyway....

smug prayers over the casket of the dead guy won't save him. It's too late for that.

but nobody cares as long as the prayers sound good.

What's the will of God?

It sure as hell can't be discovered in the pompous scribblings of pompous fools.

Which is why God is working in the dark these days. If people knew what He was doing, they'd argue with Him or take Him to court and crucify Him.

No wait......we've already done that haven't we?

So I guess we still don't care do we?

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM

11,727 posts, read 3,599,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
SIGH. You have probably left the thread, Nobody. Understandable. Just more arguing egos. I am struggling myself, as returning to my faith has left me feeling more guilty, and praying seems so fake to me. I do however, feel appreciative for the beauty of the world around me. The effect for me, is being "OK" with not understanding much of life, as how can we understand the mind of God, who created it? I am OK with not comprehending it all. Now, I feel guilty when I get judgy or critical of someone, when I never used to.

I'll tell you simply how my sister and brother-in-law lives are affected by their R with Jesus.
They are patient and kind to EVERYONE. They have TIME for everyone and shower everyone around them with love and giving. They give their time to all the old folks in the missionary retirement home they live in. Their whole life is about helping others. They are the humblest, least prideful people I have ever met; yet both are PhDs in linguistics. They translated the entire Bible into the Quechua language (descendants of the Incas), while living 40 years in the Peruvian Andes. They keep an extra car just to help out visiting missionaries, or other needy folks.

My sister donates her time to help some Vietnamese immigrants learn English and get jobs. When they hear of a need or problem, they stop whatever they are doing and pray right then and there. They do not judge anyone, but show love to everyone, including gays, etc., who are welcome in their church. Knowing they can turn to Jesus for help and support defines their lives.

What they don't do, is quote Scripture at every turn. Instead, they pattern their lives after how Jesus lived and that is why I have utmost respect for them. Showing love, caring for the sick, poor and disadvantaged.

As I write this, I realize plenty of non-Christians share many of these traits.

I'm sorry no one is answering you. I was thrilled when I discovered there was a Christianity forum as I wanted to share my doubts and questions, but sadly, it is just a place to argue this and that Bible verse.
Battling egos, though I'm sure some mean well---to doesn't appear that way.
This is a forum to discuss Christianity (not specifically for Christians) so you will get a range of people posting. If you have questions start a thread, be specific about what you want to know or what you doubt and keep it on topic. You should get a range of opinions which you can sift through that may help you.

Old 01-21-2019, 12:00 PM

3,987 posts, read 2,095,295 times
Quote:
Love Him before anyone or anything else, and love our neighbors as ourself. Beyond that, He will reveal His will thru a personal relationship and regular Bible Study.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:07 PM

51 posts, read 16,711 times
Quote:
What do you mean when you say you have a "personal relationship with Jesus?"

What does that look like in the day-to-day, mundane world?

If you respond, please provide specific details in your own words (no scripture).

Hi,

I know the answer to this question. I just formulated the idea in my head after chatting with my parish priest.

To say you have a personal relationship with someone who lived 2000 years ago may sound absurd. So what does it really mean? This is a new-fangled idea started by fundamentalist Christians no earlier than the last century. But nowhere in the Creeds are we told to have a 'relationship' with Jesus. Neither does the Holy Bible exhort us to do that. So where did fundamentalists get the idea from if the Bible which they place on their altar doesn't even say it?

What the Bible tells us to do and what Holy Tradition dictates is simply that we are to follow Jesus, not have a relationship with him, which is absurd and if I may use a fundamentalist word, unbiblical.

In reply to your question, a person can't possibly have a personal relationship with Jesus. He can only take up his cross and follow Jesus. If that sounds more subservient and makes us less of an equal to God himself, well, that's really the truth. We should be subservient and we shouldn't presume to be God's equal.

Cheerio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity