Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 05:20 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael The Disciple View Post
Oneness means belief in one God and that Jesus is God manifest in the flesh. Pentecostal means the terms and experience of salvation can be found in Acts 2. I am Oneness and Pentecostal. While most of the OP Churches are still at least somewhat lacking in truth, they nonetheless have more truth than Catholic or Evangelical.
And since the 300's all of organized Christianity has historically considered it to be heretical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And since the 300's all of organized Christianity has historically considered it to be heretical.
Many followers of Christ would say that the organized church has NEVER followed Jesus. I couldn't care less about what organized Christianity considers heretical.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:59 AM

7,308 posts, read 14,683,214 times
Left the Pentecostal church and have been going to Life Church for the past 10 years. It's 100% non-denominational. Only church I've ever been to that teaches that the Bible and the teachings of Jesus are still relevant in our lives. It's a growing church with 32 locations and a very strong on-line presence. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 AM

911 posts, read 2,154,685 times
Raised CoG/AoG not sure which, whichever is practiced in the hills of VA. Lol
Now Catholic. Not keen on the Benny Hinn / Kenneth Copeland type ministry. Also don't want to have to keep up with the Joneses with the 'spiritual gifts'.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:51 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Left the Pentecostal church and have been going to Life Church for the past 10 years. It's 100% non-denominational. Only church I've ever been to that teaches that the Bible and the teachings of Jesus are still relevant in our lives. It's a growing church with 32 locations and a very strong on-line presence. Good luck in your search.
Craig Groschel? Ooofdah. His Jesus is your life coach, but not much of a savior. Makes for a popular, ear tickling message. But it's better to be in it than a non Christian church.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Craig Groschel? Ooofdah. His Jesus is your life coach, but not much of a savior. Makes for a popular, ear tickling message. But it's better to be in it than a non Christian church.

I'd have to say his messages are closer to what Jesus taught then anything I ever heard visiting a Baptist church. But good luck with you're hellfire and brimstone....

Old 01-11-2019, 10:12 PM

421 posts, read 153,245 times
I was raised in the United Church of Christ. It is regarded as one of the most liberal denominations, but the local congregations are autonomous, and the church I was raised in was from the German Reformed side of the merger. It was formal and conservative.

I first prayed in tongues when I was by myself praying for someone who got injured at work. It was accidental (on my part, anyway) and quite unexpected. This was the summer after I graduated from high school. When I went to college, my roommate was Pentecostal, and I went to church with him. I stayed in this denomination for about 18 years, even though I disagreed with a lot of the things they taught, and I thought that the majority of the "spiritual gifts" demonstrated during the services were put on for a show. I've never been concerned with whether or not I agree with the pastor's teachings. I can learn from God on my own.

I left this denomination about 10 years ago, and I have quite a bit more freedom where I am now. My church of the last decade is bilingual. We sing all the songs in English and Spanish, and everything in the service is translated. We have a pretty good mix of former Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Holiness people, and what many would consider "New Age" beliefs, as well as a cultural blend of Mexicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Dominicans, Romanians and Gringos. One Sunday we had people from 13 different countries in the morning service. The discussion in the Sunday School class is intellectually stimulating, our potluck dinners are awesome beyond description, and we have mission work in so many countries that I have lost count. The family-first Hispanic culture means that everyone truly looks out for each other and helps each other. I really love my church.

I don't miss the Pentecostal church at all.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Since the very beginning i would say it fell away and those who decided what should be included and what shouldn't in the NT were part of that which fell away. I don't ever recall seeing anywhere in the OT scriptures where it foretold of new compilation of writings to be included to the existing scriptures.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
I was raised in the United Church of Christ. It is regarded as one of the most liberal denominations, but the local congregations are autonomous, and the church I was raised in was from the German Reformed side of the merger. It was formal and conservative.

I first prayed in tongues when I was by myself praying for someone who got injured at work. It was accidental (on my part, anyway) and quite unexpected. This was the summer after I graduated from high school. When I went to college, my roommate was Pentecostal, and I went to church with him. I stayed in this denomination for about 18 years, even though I disagreed with a lot of the things they taught, and I thought that the majority of the "spiritual gifts" demonstrated during the services were put on for a show. I've never been concerned with whether or not I agree with the pastor's teachings. I can learn from God on my own.

I left this denomination about 10 years ago, and I have quite a bit more freedom where I am now. My church of the last decade is bilingual. We sing all the songs in English and Spanish, and everything in the service is translated. We have a pretty good mix of former Catholics, Baptists, Pentecostals, Holiness people, and what many would consider "New Age" beliefs, as well as a cultural blend of Mexicans, Guatemalans, Hondurans, Dominicans, Romanians and Gringos. One Sunday we had people from 13 different countries in the morning service. The discussion in the Sunday School class is intellectually stimulating, our potluck dinners are awesome beyond description, and we have mission work in so many countries that I have lost count. The family-first Hispanic culture means that everyone truly looks out for each other and helps each other. I really love my church.

I don't miss the Pentecostal church at all.

That's what I like about Life Church. On any given weekend it's not uncommon to see church vans and busses in the parking from a dozen or more different Christian denominations. And the mix of people that attend is all across the spectrum. No judgements handed out based on what clothing people choose to wear or what native language they speak.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,843,045 times
Quote:

Who the hell do you think you are?

Quote:
Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand.

Romans 14:4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity