Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:41 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delacroix View Post
Well I thought about that, and Pentacostales believe you can lose your salvation when Baptists believe you are always saved if you truly believe once. And pentacostales also believe that you must speak in tongues for salvation. The way he and and a couple other pentacostales explained it was that you cant control the tongues and to truly be speaking in tongues you shouldn't really understand what you are saying (but apparently there are interpreters for the tongues?), and I feel that that is very demonic, like you are letting Satan and his demons into your body giving them free will.
So thats a couple reasons I think the two just cant be practiced together. They just seem so contradictory.
Good point. But can He attend both churches without believing both theology?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 10:07 AM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Quote:
Well I thought about that, and Pentacostales believe you can lose your salvation when Baptists believe you are always saved if you truly believe once.
This is something that can be reconciled...I believe that you can only lose your salvation if you deliberately and habitually sin. I don't think that everytime you slip up you are out of God's grace. That would be stressful.

Quote:
And pentacostales also believe that you must speak in tongues for salvation.
Absolutely not true. Many pentacostals believe that the speaking in tongues is the evidence of the baptism in the Holy Spirit. This follows salvation, but is not necessary for salvation. Big difference.

Quote:
The way he and and a couple other pentacostales explained it was that you cant control the tongues and to truly be speaking in tongues you shouldn't really understand what you are saying (but apparently there are interpreters for the tongues?), and I feel that that is very demonic, like you are letting Satan and his demons into your body giving them free will.
So thats a couple reasons I think the two just cant be practiced together. They just seem so contradictory.
The messages in tongues that I have heard have always been in line with the Word of God. As a believer you should always check everything against scripture and see if it is in alignment. If they are not, than the person giving the message is hearing the message from a source other than God.

The way your friend described tongues to you does make it sound sketchy. Speaking in tongues is a tough subject to explain to people who have no familiarity with it. Maybe you should do some research into the denominations that condone the practice. (Assembly of God is one...I'm not sure of others.) It is not a demonic practice. It is in the Bible and there are guidelines in the Bible so the practice is not abused.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:40 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
can someone explain to me what they mean by speaking in tongues?
is it possible that the Bible is refereing to people who speak a language other than one you understad, or other than the ancient language the hebrews were speaking at the time the Bible was written?

Old 04-09-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
can someone explain to me what they mean by speaking in tongues?
is it possible that the Bible is refereing to people who speak a language other than one you understad, or other than the ancient language the hebrews were speaking at the time the Bible was written?
That is exactly what speaking in tongues means. I think the times it is most effective is when you unknowingly are speaking the language of someone else within their hearing. I have heard of this happening many times. A person will be praying in tongues and someone else will overhear them and wonder why they are telling them about Jesus/salvation in that language. When they ask, the person had no idea what language they were speaking or what was said.

What is crucial to understand is that there is an intended purpose for the use of the practice. It is not inteded to be just babbled all of the time or to cause confusion. The Bible says that God is not a god of confusion...so for tongues to cause that, means they are being utilized incorrectly. Personally, I just think it is another way for God to show His miraculous power through a willing vessle.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:51 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
But Buddhist and Baptist don't conflict, really.
In general Buddhism does not conflict with most religions, as the tenants of Buddhism readily take a "back seat" to the rules of other religions. Buddhism is often practiced as something closer to a philosophy than a religion.

There are a few Christian rules which could conflict with Buddhist practices, such as idol worship, however--as with any religion--it depends on the beliefs and interpretations of the practicioner. I believe it is acceptable to honor the Buddhas but not "before" God, much like one can honor one's parents or ancestors without putting them before god--as the Word forbids.

In the end, any multiple of religions can be observed by an individual, for it is between you and God to judge your relationship, character, and to know your heart--and not for others to determine or regulate through customs, taboos, or rules.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
That is exactly what speaking in tongues means. I think the times it is most effective is when you unknowingly are speaking the language of someone else within their hearing. I have heard of this happening many times. A person will be praying in tongues and someone else will overhear them and wonder why they are telling them about Jesus/salvation in that language. When they ask, the person had no idea what language they were speaking or what was said.

What is crucial to understand is that there is an intended purpose for the use of the practice. It is not inteded to be just babbled all of the time or to cause confusion. The Bible says that God is not a god of confusion...so for tongues to cause that, means they are being utilized incorrectly. Personally, I just think it is another way for God to show His miraculous power through a willing vessle.
thanks for explaining--so it happens without the speaker realizing...

Old 04-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
thanks for explaining--so it happens without the speaker realizing...
The person doing the speaking is aware that they are speaking, but they don't know what they are saying or what language they are saying it in.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:05 PM

756 posts, read 2,574,298 times
Gift of tongues initiated by Holy Spirit to praise and worship God. It doesn't just happen out of the blue, like a seizure. Usually in prayer service, worship service. The Bible states there must be someone to interperate....otherwise its just a bunch of nonsense.

I concur with Dojilynn. Scripture, the Bible states guidlines if you will, for speaking in tongues.
Not needed for every Chriatian to do, there are many gifts of the Holy Spirit.
Romans 12:3-8 and I Cor 12:1-11.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:32 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,486,605 times
"Speaking in tongues" meant to speak in other foriegn languages, languages that are understood by others or by an interpreter.

"If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God." 1 Corinthians 14:27-28

At pentecost, the Apostles spoke in "tongues", the languages of people from all over the world.

"5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language." Acts 2:5-6

If you speak spanish and english, your are speaking in "tongues". "Babbling" doesn't qualify.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
"Speaking in tongues" meant to speak in other foriegn languages, languages that are understood by others or by an interpreter.

"If anyone speaks in a tongue, two—or at the most three—should speak, one at a time, and someone must interpret. 28 If there is no interpreter, the speaker should keep quiet in the church and speak to himself and God." 1 Corinthians 14:27-28

At pentecost, the Apostles spoke in "tongues", the languages of people from all over the world.

"5 Now there were staying in Jerusalem God-fearing Jews from every nation under heaven.
6 When they heard this sound, a crowd came together in bewilderment, because each one heard them speaking in his own language." Acts 2:5-6

If you speak spanish and english, your are speaking in "tongues". "Babbling" doesn't qualify.
see that is what i was thinking. that by seaking in tounges they were referncing persons speaking languages other than what was spoken by the people in the bible. meaning they spoke hebrew, and were referncing people who spoke latin etc,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity