Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 12:01 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
After being freed from fundamentalism, where praying in public was common for me, I began to feel uncomfortable with it, so it's something I have thought about. I don't pray in public anymore.

I don't think that everyone (or even most) who prays in public does it in order to be noticed. But, I agree with you that many probably feel it is more effective, and I do know there's a sort of "peer pressure" among Christians about praying publicly, as well. It's almost a litmus test, in the minds of some, about how spiritual others are.
My understanding of public praying

I'm in the line at Dunkin Donuts and if i left my house in the right spirit, rather than complaining to myself about how long the line is, i will go into my closet(my inner being) and pray for someone in line, maybe they look like the weight of the world is upon them, i will pray their burden rolls away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,388,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
All in one accord.

Bowing your knee in a football stadium where the only one accord going on is drink fueled fans roaring their own team on is not the same as what Ezra and Israel were up to.
Perhaps DRob thinks that Christians praying in public places is a form of evangelism?

Old 01-18-2019, 12:02 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
I do think there's a sort of mind-control which public prayer generates (though I don't believe most Christian leaders employ prayer for that purpose because I believe, in general, their motives are more noble than that [though I obviously think they miss the mark in many ways]).

You know I'm not a Christian anymore? But I do actually still believe there is a "body of Christ". I just happen to believe it is far, far, FAR more inclusive than some Christians think it is. And I agree with you that it has nothing to do with church membership.
me too 👍🏼

Old 01-18-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
My understanding of public praying

I'm in the line at Dunkin Donuts and if i left my house in the right spirit, rather than complaining to myself about how long the line is, i will go into my closet(my inner being) and pray for someone in line, maybe they look like the weight of the world is upon them, i will pray their burden rolls away.
That's the frame of mind I want to cultivate more consistently as well.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:08 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
All in one accord.

Bowing your knee in a football stadium where the only one accord going on is drink fueled fans roaring their own team on is not the same as what Ezra and Israel were up to.
Alchhol is not sold at high school events in my state.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:13 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,116,309 times
Quote:
Of course, it's your choice to ignore that the passage says not to pray in public, but rather to pray privately, although I always think it's interesting when someone who claims the bible, in totality, is the inerrant "word of God" chooses to ignore a passage because it's inconvenient. How can you claim that the passage has "nothing to do" with whether or not one prays in public when it explicitly says don't pray in public, pray in private? Why claim that you believe the bible when you ignore a straight forward passage like that?

I'd be interested in hearing an answer to nate's question:
well, i find it intersting that Jesus prayed at least 3 times in public: the two times when He fed the thousands and also when Lazarus came forth from the tomb. He also prayed when He was on the Cross, dying for our sins. in addition to these examples, what do we say about 1 Timothy 2:8 where it says, “so I want the men in every place to pray, lifting up holy hands without anger or dispute.” is Paul a hypocrite for exhorting them to pray everywhere? far be it from me to call one of the biggest names in the Bible a hypocrite. again, it comes down to what the purpose is for the prayer: honest, hearfelt communication with God for His glory or to make oneself look better than everyone else. if you don't want to pray in public, don't. but i will tell you that yes, i will pray at meals while i'm out, yes, i will pray for someone who needs prayer while out in public and i will pray wherever and whenever it is necessary or needed and i will do so either privately within or if need be, in a speaking voice where those around me can hear.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Alchhol is not sold at high school events in my state.
I have been to Patriots, Celtics and Red Sox games where the one accord is not with the one bringing attention on themselves through prayer. You know perfectly well what i was getting at with Ezra and Israel, and someone praying in public at a football stadium.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:14 PM

11,897 posts, read 3,694,213 times
Quote:
Thanks Meerkat. May I ask how you determine, for yourself, what public prayer is "ok"? What do you think it accomplishes that private prayer does not?
Personally Im not concerned either way about public prayer, so I guess it would be where you have people of the same mindset together, and you are not going to offend other people.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat2 View Post
Personally Im not concerned either way about public prayer, so I guess it would be where you have people of the same mindset together, and you are not going to offend other people.
I was thinking the same thing, although I think Thoreau made some good points about that.

Old 01-18-2019, 12:17 PM

463 posts, read 189,190 times
I pray at my work cafe every day before eating, nobody ever says anything

Maybe they're all in this thread talking trash and trying to rationalize why I do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity