Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 06:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,832,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabfest View Post
That's what the court systems are there for. Some people may not realize their unwillingness to engage in certain activities and/or circles is considered bullying.
No, attempts to coerce others is considered bullying, sometimes by refusing normal services to those being bullied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 06:43 PM

10,495 posts, read 6,945,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You were incorrect to say Jesus prohibited public prayer. He said, basically, don’t be a self-righteous hypocrite. A community acknowledging their creator is not that.

No. That is complete nonsense on your part. Christ said to pray in secret. It says so explicitly in the Gospel. You are twisting Christ's words around. Blasting a prayer out on stadium loudspeakers is the precise opposite of that.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:59 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Yes, he did. He literally said, "Do not do this." He didn't say, "You know, I'm going to talk about the spiritual pride of other people." Nope. He literally said to the 5,000 on the Mount--goatherders, farmers, fishermen, wives, and children -- "Do not do this." snip...
Quote:
You were incorrect to say Jesus prohibited public prayer. He said, basically, don’t be a self-righteous hypocrite. A community acknowledging their creator is not that.
Quote:
No. That is complete nonsense on your part. Christ said to pray in secret. It says so explicitly in the Gospel. You are twisting Christ's words around. Blasting a prayer out on stadium loudspeakers is the precise opposite of that.
Look at what you said above. That is completely false. It is you who are twisting Jesus’ words.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:07 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:

They are way to entrenched in their own beliefs systems to believe and see otherwise.

It is well documented in the gospels that Jesus withdrew from the public to pray. So called bible believers(you know, the ones that say we believe the whole of the bible) conveniently ignore this.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Look at what you said above. That is completely false. It is you who are twisting Jesus’ words.

Only in your imagination can "do not do this" and "pray in secret" actually mean, "Hey, it's okay if you do this" and "Pray in public. Heck, use a megaphone if you possibly can."

I mean, dude, so sorry that your major form of religious expression has been yanked out from underneath you by the Gospel itself. But a person honest with himself would read that passage and say, "Huh, I was wrong," rather than say, "Well, that's not Jesus really mean."

Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
I think you are ignoring the example of Jesus.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Only in your imagination can "do not do this" and "pray in secret" actually mean, "Hey, it's okay if you do this" and "Pray in public. Heck, use a megaphone if you possibly can."

I mean, dude, so sorry that your major form of religious expression has been yanked out from underneath you by the Gospel itself. But a person honest with himself would read that passage and say, "Huh, I was wrong," rather than say, "Well, that's not Jesus really mean."
Only in your imagination did He
Quote:
literally said, "Do not do this."

Old 01-21-2019, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post

No kidding. Maybe we can put JimmieJ in a time machine so he can go back to Palestine during that period to correct Jesus on what he was doing wrong. To wit:

Matthew 14:23

After He had sent the crowds away, He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray; and when it was evening, He was there alone.

Mark 1:35

In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.

Luke 5:16

But Jesus Himself would often slip away to the wilderness and pray.

Luke 9:18

And it happened that while He was praying alone, the disciples were with Him, and He questioned them, saying, "Who do the people say that I am?"

Matthew 26:36

Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to His disciples, "Sit here while I go over there and pray."

Matthew 26:39

And He went a little beyond them, and fell on His face and prayed, saying, "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; yet not as I will, but as You will."

Matthew 26:42

He went away again a second time and prayed, saying, "My Father, if this cannot pass away unless I drink it, Your will be done."

Matthew 26:44

And He left them again, and went away and prayed a third time, saying the same thing once more.

Mark 14:35

And He went a little beyond them, and fell to the ground and began to pray that if it were possible, the hour might pass Him by.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Only in your imagination did He

Yeah. Weird of me to take the Gospel at face value.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You have no idea when and how I pray. I’m merely disagreeing with Minivan’s interpretation of that passage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity