Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 11:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
I don't know. I kind of see some negativity in the "Progressive" view of "Fundamentalist".
and I see hate and vengeance in the fundamental view of progressives..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 11:30 AM

20,438 posts, read 12,773,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You do know Jimmie that are secular organizations doing the same thing too?.
See post #315.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,270,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
See post #315.
What about it ?.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:33 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Progressives are about seeing good in others. Fundamentalists are about seeing "evil" in others.
Progressives are about possibilities. Fundamentalists are about limitations.
Progressives are about unity. Fundamentalists are about disunity and division.
Progressives are New Testament in attitude. Fundamentalists are Old Testament in attitude.
Progressive welcome love and understanding. Fundamentalists welcome anger and wrath.
This isn't surprising, but it is accurate.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
I picked up six dozen yesterday for $2.33 (.39 a dozen).
Quote:
Yeah, I remember, I found those eggs in the barn after we moved the hay bales. I didn't know how old they were, so I unloaded them quick and cheap. You might want to candle light those babies.
Fresh from the farmers market, not from the barn of fundamentalism.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:43 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,562 times
Quote:
Fresh from the farmers market, not from the barn of fundamentalism.

And who sold you the eggs? Produce comes from the farm, not the market. Unless of course, some chicken factory is located in the building behind the "farmers market". My farmers market had one grower, who had several lots, and actually grew in the city, and he had free range chickens. The problem they had was that the chickens often want to pick their own nest, and those eggs often aren't quickly found. I can't say for sure, but I think he didn't make a go of it. I think he was to Progressive in his methods to make ends meet. A nice guy, but you can't make a living charging 39 cents a dozen. But of course, other rich Progressives, are like circling sharks, and are quick to buy below cost, and let this guy go under. What does someone do with 6 dozen eggs, give them to poor hungry farmers at the food shelter?

Keep in mind, that the tares are gathered and burned, but the wheat is put into the barn (Matthew 13:30).

Old 01-23-2019, 05:03 PM

1,382 posts, read 767,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
and I see hate and vengeance in the fundamental view of progressives..

What hate, and what vengeance? You tell a guy about the "wrath to come" (Matthew 3:7), and that the tree without good fruit gets "cut down and thrown into the fire" (Matthew 3:10), and everyone gets antsy. Well, maybe they should. No wonder there is so much high blood pressure and bad backs out there. Everyone is taking snap looks behind them. Just blame it on some poorly defined boogey man you call "fundamental man". I can see how that will make that back feel better, and the blood pressure come down. And you always have the hope you can keep your doctor, and pay less for health insurance. Maybe some day, doctors can relieve back pain other than with opioids, which cause more deaths than auto accidents. Or, you could repent, and confess your sins. (James 5:16)

Old 01-23-2019, 05:16 PM

Quote:
It appears that public prayer has always been a platform for pushing one's beliefs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and sometimes terribly misused. As most of you know, I was in the WTC on 9/11. A week or so afterward, it was announced that there would be a town-wide gathering on the library lawn at which various clergy and town council people would speak about the reaction to the attacks. I went.

I left there seething with anger. Instead of calling for unity among all people, they were calling for people to come back to church, inferring that the attacks had happened because America had left God behind or some such drivel and that we all needed to join together as Christians against this evil force that had attacked us. "Everything's all right. If we turn back to God, it's all going to be all right". I'll never forget one of them saying that. Everything was NOT all right.

Meanwhile, there I stood, still finding out who of the many people I worked with--Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, Atheists, Who Knows What--were dead and who were alive. The attacks happened EXACTLY because of this sort of Us. V. Them type of thinking, and the churches were using the attacks as a recruiting tool and promoting the very divisiveness that was rare within the walls of the WTC while it stood. That thinking was from another religion, but it was still fundamentalist: We are RIGHT and you are WRONG, EVIL, because GOD says so.

I had people who said incredibly rude and stupid things to me, like "Get down on your knees and thank God for getting you out alive." Really? What about those 80+ coworkers, some of whom I knew for 20 years who were killed? What was I supposed to say to "God" about them? What about the workers I used to joke with at Cantor Fitz's cafeteria who were all now dead? What about the cop I saw every morning at the coffee place in the Concourse? Or Sam, the security guard who used to warn me, smiling, about the dangers of smoking when I went out through the West Street door for a cigarette? What about my friend who got caught in the lobby fireball and was in the Cornell burn unit where she would live another six weeks? What about those other smokers I saw every day, some of whom were out there and were shredded and decapitated by the entrance glass when AA11 slammed into us? Thank you God for killing them and not me?

What happened that day had nothing to do with God and everything to do with the worst of humanity, and it brought out some of the best and worst of humanity in the days that followed, and that public prayer meeting was one example of the worst.
I don't know how I missed this post, but we are on the same page when it comes to promoting a religious agenda at the expense of others. I don't know how many where in the buildings, but my heart goes out to each and everyone of their families and friends, and those who experienced this tragedy, yet survived. It's never an easy thing to lose loved one's, and those we associate with on a daily basis.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
A nice guy, but you can't make a living charging 39 cents a dozen.
Sure you can, when you have an over abundance.

Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,115,644 times
Quote:
I don't know how I missed this post, but we are on the same page when it comes to promoting a religious agenda at the expense of others. I don't know how many where in the buildings, but my heart goes out to each and everyone of their families and friends, and those who experienced this tragedy, yet survived. It's never an easy thing to lose loved one's, and those we associate with on a daily basis.
i missed the post also, even though i checked back a few pages. my thoughts on the post are as follows: there were other services that simply offered up prayers on behalf of the families and friends who lost loved ones and who felt the loss that the entire nation felt. how do i know this? because, although i was living in SLC, UT at the time, the people i know here in NYC/Bronx told me of the services that were held afterwards. they were basically all day prayer meetings, some inside, some outside. in SLC, we even had a prayer meeting at my job and at the church i attended at the time. no one said anything remotely related to what the poster mentioned was stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity