Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2019, 08:34 AM

88,003 posts, read 83,827,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
"Progressive" "Christians" are simply of the mind set that they are more "righteous" than God, and therefore can override the Law of God in a more liberal manner. It is kind of like the pot calling the potter "wicked", whereas the potter can sit back and laugh at the clay, for the judgment of the clay is at hand. The "wicked" "test God" and "escape" (Malachi 3:15), but the "day is coming, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff; and the day is coming that will set them ablaze" (Malachi 4:1).

New International Version Psalm 37:13
but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
That sounds like rather childish view and completely incorrect.

A difference is that "Right Belief"-- if you just BELIEVE X, Y, Z, you are RIGHT--is not the core of the faith for NF Christians.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:36 AM

1,491 posts, read 3,106,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
It doesn’t?

“When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men. Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.“
no, it doesn't and His statements explain the crux of it: "for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men", i.e. they desired the attention of everyone passing by to see how "holy" they were because they were praying aloud. now, according to what you are suggesting, i suppose therefore i should not: pray at meals in a restaurant?; pray for someone in need on the street?; or attend a public prayer meeting for a cause, is that right? well, i have done all three and will continue to do so when the need arises and will not be concerned whether someone thinks i should or should not do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 08:52 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,049,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
"Progressive" "Christians" are simply of the mind set that they are more "righteous" than God, and therefore can override the Law of God in a more liberal manner. It is kind of like the pot calling the potter "wicked", whereas the potter can sit back and laugh at the clay, for the judgment of the clay is at hand. The "wicked" "test God" and "escape" (Malachi 3:15), but the "day is coming, burning like a furnace; and all the arrogant and every evildoer will be chaff; and the day is coming that will set them ablaze" (Malachi 4:1).

New International Version Psalm 37:13
but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.
Not at all..we simply understand that what we do makes little impact on our "salvation" and we do that which we do outta LOVE and CONCERN for our neighbors, without regards to or CARE abut redemption and salvation..We believe that god does as god wills and why try to change god's mind via shallow and superficial works or faith?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:55 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,292,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlemur View Post
no, it doesn't and His statements explain the crux of it: "for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners so that they may be seen by men", i.e. they desired the attention of everyone passing by to see how "holy" they were because they were praying aloud. now, according to what you are suggesting, i suppose therefore i should not: pray at meals in a restaurant?; pray for someone in need on the street?; or attend a public prayer meeting for a cause, is that right? well, i have done all three and will continue to do so when the need arises and will not be concerned whether someone thinks i should or should not do so.
Of course, it's your choice to ignore that the passage says not to pray in public, but rather to pray privately, although I always think it's interesting when someone who claims the bible, in totality, is the inerrant "word of God" chooses to ignore a passage because it's inconvenient. How can you claim that the passage has "nothing to do" with whether or not one prays in public when it explicitly says don't pray in public, pray in private? Why claim that you believe the bible when you ignore a straight forward passage like that?

I'd be interested in hearing an answer to nate's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Can someone tell me the purpose of public prayer if it is NOT to be noticed?

Old 01-18-2019, 08:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,049,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
One of the big differences I see between fundamentalist and progressive Christians is their views of the Bible.

Fundamentalists generally believe the Bible is 100% literally true, inerrant and infallible, and without error or contradiction, and that all parts are in perfect harmony.

Some of them believe so strongly that their view is correct that all other viewpoints are wrong.

Progressive Christians mostly believe that the Bible is useful for religious study, and that many parts of it contain important moral and ethical lessons without having to be literally true. They tend to accept that different interpretations can lead to varied moral and ethical learning.
short and to the point...

Old 01-18-2019, 09:38 AM

45,265 posts, read 26,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Can someone tell me the purpose of public prayer if it is NOT to be noticed?
To make a request to God for something...

God knows whether or not people are sincere in their prayer, whether it's in a group setting or not.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:42 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,818,641 times
Quote:
Matthew 6:5–8 has nothing to do with whether we should or should not pray in public. the key to this passage is the idea of giving false appearances, i.e. looking like you are a spiritual person in order to impress others. we must possess the right reasons to be praying in public and the glory should be to God, not to appear righteous in front of people. when Jesus spoke about praying in public versus praying in private, He was illustrating how we shouldn't be selfish but selfless
So, what ARE “the right reasons” for praying in public?

Old 01-18-2019, 09:49 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,818,641 times
Quote:
What is your purpose in praying for someone in need? “Go your way and be filled?”

Someone said something about that somewhere.

Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,292,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
To make a request to God for something...

God knows whether or not people are sincere in their prayer, whether it's in a group setting or not.
What would be the purpose of doing that in public, rather than privately?

Old 01-18-2019, 10:53 AM

45,265 posts, read 26,764,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
What would be the purpose of doing that in public, rather than privately?
People got together and prayed for 9-11 victims.

People get together and pray for needs for a church.

People get together and pray when they prepare to do ministry for others as a group.

I would suggest not being a busybody and worrying about what others are doing. (General statement, not directed at you personally)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity