Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2019, 09:16 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
assuming god wrote the bible and not mere mortal men?
The belief is that mortal men wrote the Bible with God's direct involvement and overseeing. Dictation and notation. Shouldn't be too difficult to visualize.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The belief is that mortal men wrote the Bible with God's direct involvement and overseeing. Dictation and notation. Shouldn't be too difficult to visualize.
--- Unless, like many on the Christianity forum, one imitates 'Sargent Schultz' ('Hogan's Heros) - with his hands covering his eyes - declaring, "I zee nothing, I zee nothing"

Old 01-25-2019, 09:37 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
While hiding himself from mortal men, saying here you are lads and lasses a wonderful book for you to navigate your way through this earth without any built in guidance system.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:42 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
but is 2+2=5 if the bible tells you so?
If the bible tells you that God is a jealous God and also that God is love and love is not jealous then, according to those who think there are no contradictions in the bible, yes, jealous = not jealous.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:55 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You're asking about something which simply is not the case.

I'll try to explain it this way. The Bible does not tell you that xx plus xx equals xxxxx. God does not deal with absurdities. Reality is that if you hold up xx number of fingers, and then hold up another xx fingers you are holding up xxxx fingers. xxxx fingers is not xxxxx number of fingers, and the Bible does not tell you that xxxx is xxxxx.

The Bible does not teach things which are contrary to reality. I tried as an example to make it clear what the creation account is actually about and that it is not to be understood literally as a scientific explanation for how the Universe was created. The Bible is not asking you to believe that the heavens and the earth were actually created in six days and that the earth was created before the sun was created. The creation account in Genesis bears resemblances to the Egyptian creation accounts and to a lessor degree, the Mesopotamian creation accounts, but with differences. The story was meant to impress upon the Hebrews, using a context that they could understand, that it was Yahweh who is the Creator of heaven and earth, and not the gods of Egypt or Mesopotamia.

So the hypothetical question simply does not reflect what the Bible actually does say and why it says what it says. Again, the Bible has to be understood and interpreted within the context of the ancient Near East culture and world view of the people who wrote the Bible under the inspiration of God.
You have no idea what the Bible is actually saying, especially about 6 ea 24 hour days. That is not what it says if you read it with comprehension as to word meaning and context. Plus time to God, a day, is not only equal to a 1000 years to God, but also just a watch in the night, 4 hours, so the "days" do not mean just 24 hours anymore than saying "in my father's 'day'".

An example is Genesis 1:1.

The word "bara" in Hebrew, the verb portrays completed action, it is in the perfect state. Therefore the Heavens and Earth were already created prior to the reading of Genesis 1:2. With that being the case the Earth and the Universe in general could have been around for billions of years prior to Jehovah transforming the surface of the Earth to make it habitable for life.

Last edited by expatCA; 01-25-2019 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 10:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,365,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
If the bible tells you that God is a jealous God and also that God is love and love is not jealous then, according to those who think there are no contradictions in the bible, yes, jealous = not jealous.
I don't see any issue with being inspired to use the word jealous by the authors. It is an attempt to get through to them in cruder terms. God is indeed jealous for our time. That's what I get from it.

Old 01-25-2019, 10:55 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I don't see any issue with being inspired to use the word jealous by the authors. It is an attempt to get through to them in cruder terms. God is indeed jealous for our time. That's what I get from it.
but we are talking about ancient almost primitive thinking people...just how deep did they really think?

Old 01-25-2019, 11:30 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
but we are talking about ancient almost primitive thinking people...just how deep did they really think?
There are plenty of records of deep thought, from even way "back then". Chinese philosophers, Egyptian mathematicians, Greek philosophers. Just because life was simpler says nothing about their mental state and depth.

Comparing some of them to people now, it could be argued that we are often more primitive in our thinking now. When you have nothing concrete to go on, your mind and possibilities are wide open. When everything seems explained and defined, you're have no reason to fully open up and explore.

Lao-tzu, Cuang-tzu, Yamaga Soko, Mencius, Plato, Socrates, Plotinus, Pythagoras, maybe Theophilus and Josephus. The pyramids, Stonehenge... objects we still can't fully explain as to construction. The spread of these people and objects is wide-ranging too, not in any one spot/location. There was plenty of intelligence in ancient times. The biggest setback with this older information comes from the effects of time and loss of records.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 01-25-2019 at 11:53 AM..

Old 01-25-2019, 01:03 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
You have no idea what the Bible is actually saying, especially about 6 ea 24 hour days. That is not what it says if you read it with comprehension as to word meaning and context. Plus time to God, a day, is not only equal to a 1000 years to God, but also just a watch in the night, 4 hours, so the "days" do not mean just 24 hours anymore than saying "in my father's 'day'".

An example is Genesis 1:1.

The word "bara" in Hebrew, the verb portrays completed action, it is in the perfect state. Therefore the Heavens and Earth were already created prior to the reading of Genesis 1:2. With that being the case the Earth and the Universe in general could have been around for billions of years prior to Jehovah transforming the surface of the Earth to make it habitable for life.
Actually, I do know what the Bible is actually saying regarding the creation account and have already explained it. Old Testament scholars are well aware of the connection between the Biblical creation account and the other ancient Near Eastern creation accounts.

If 24 hour days are not in view in the creation account then according to that account earth existed for an indefinite amount of time - ages perhaps, before the sun was created. That is simply not scientifically correct. But again, Genesis is not an attempt at providing a scientific explanation for how the Universe was created.

Last edited by Michael Way; 01-25-2019 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-25-2019, 01:19 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I kind of get that somewhat in the terms that God is protective for our well being, so he watches over us individually "as if" he is Jealous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity