Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 09:36 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Didn’t think that one though very well, did you?...What about the man with the withered hand?...
What about him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2019, 09:39 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
He only told a relative few people to be quiet, and it was more about not sharing the revelation of his divinity. I.e. the time was not right/optimal yet to get "that message" out. Makes complete sense based on the environment and settings.

His miracles nearly all public, so no way to hide them. There's no evidence of him wanting to hide or conceal miracles. He was careful to understand the effect they might have on others, so that was factored in.

We see false assumptions behind this thread, as with other similar ones. Please stop spreading false information and making it harder on us all P&K. If you're going to say "In the Bible", then specify where.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 02-06-2019 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-06-2019, 09:42 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
I've studied this before, and in a class some of the others felt Jesus was performing miracles to get the audience's attention - he didn't want the healing miracles to be the "thing", but rather, would give him credentials so that his message that he represents God and is able to preach the word of God's forgiveness and the promise of heaven.

But people just kept coming and coming wanting healing, and it was hard to get them to listen to the bigger message, that they could seek and be given forgiveness.

That's why, when the paraplegic was dropped through the roof, in the book of Mark, Jesus forgave him of his sins FIRST, then healed his body SECOND.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
In the Bible, many times when Jesus performed a miracle for someone, He instructed the person not to tell others about what happened.

Why did Jesus require the person to keep it confidential, particularly when sometimes the person talked about it anyway (and Jesus would have known that the person would)?
I have wondered the same.. so I can tell you what I think, so far.
remember there was once that he told 10 of them to go tell the elders of the Jews about their healings. only one did it .. I always wondered. to be a religion of " faith like Abraham" Abraham was required to do an act of obedience which can only be done by faith , but it beyond his ability to reason it ..

so maybe only the obedient ones kept their healing. could anyone lose their healings due to disobedience? the gift was given even without repentance ... Abraham proves that but both faith and obedience is required.

if lots of people lost their healings because of their own disobedience... then maybe this added to why some really wanted him dead.. hoping they were just tricked into thinking they were healed for a short time.. see.. these un-faith -full and disobedient would of course have added to those who wished He be crucified.. right?

yes he was giving gifts to the unrepentant ...

but the important part of salvation is the faith and obedience parts ..
so I think you are seeing it right.. I think there is minimal/minuscule/ a well fitting yoke to pull..... his requirements for completed salvation.

He may YET give all salvation to every man alive and resurrected( or maybe just "life") ...

but a time of trail is also coming..
3 1/2 years of it..

and disobedience and lack of faith may steal their inheritance from them, like Esau sold his inheritance for a meal. he did not value it !

Because they did not value their gift with obedience, faith or thanksgiving , or whatever , or maybe to just honor it! maybe they will lose it ?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:09 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
Jesus had a very specific plan and purpose for His time spent on earth. His miracles were done to affirm His deity and authenticate His message and truth, not to 'simply' heal, feed and raise the dead. A few of many passages provide some insight into Christ's timing and motivation:

John 6:26-27 - Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

John 7:6-7 - Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil.

At different times in His earthly ministry, the crowds seeking bread and miracles became almost overwhelming and distracted from His primary ministry. IMO, that is why he sometimes told those healed to 'go and tell no one'

While Jesus could easily have formed a 'mega church,' taken over the government of the day or healed all of the sick, dumb and lame, He was on a mission, from which He never strayed to the right or left. Instead, He set His face on Jerusalem (Luke 9:51).

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Please stop spreading false information and making it harder on us all P&K. If you're going to say "In the Bible", then specify where.

Throughout Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:21 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Maybe if you say he told a few instead of many, it would appease some.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:22 AM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Where in those "books" is the body of evidence that he wanted people to be silent about his miracles, as you suggest in this thread? Either be specific, or leave out "In the Bible...".

Old 02-06-2019, 10:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Jesus had a very specific plan and purpose for His time spent on earth. His miracles were done to affirm His deity and authenticate His message and truth, not to 'simply' heal, feed and raise the dead. A few of many passages provide some insight into Christ's timing and motivation:

John 6:26-27 - Jesus answered, “Very truly I tell you, you are looking for me, not because you saw the signs I performed but because you ate the loaves and had your fill. 27 Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.”

John 7:6-7 - Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do. 7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil.

At different times in His earthly ministry, the crowds seeking bread and miracles became almost overwhelming and distracted from His primary ministry. IMO, that is why he sometimes told those healed to 'go and tell no one'

While Jesus could easily have formed a 'mega church,' taken over the government of the day or healed all of the sick, dumb and lame, He was on a mission, from which He never strayed to the right or left. Instead, He set His face on Jerusalem (Luke 9:51).
So, Jesus had to do these things in order to convince people he was who he claimed to be?

If this is true, then why would he expect us (people living 1000s of years later) to just believe without seeing, it obvious the people back then would not have believed him without seeing..?

Seems strange to me that JEsus would be willing to do these things to convince people back then, but is totally against it today...we are just expected to 'have faith'...why didnt he ask people back then to JUST HAVE FAITH, JUST BELIEVE (without seeing proof)?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:04 AM

1,279 posts, read 852,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
He only told a relative few people to be quiet, and it was more about not sharing the revelation of his divinity. I.e. the time was not right/optimal yet to get "that message" out. Makes complete sense based on the environment and settings.

His miracles nearly all public, so no way to hide them. There's no evidence of him wanting to hide or conceal miracles. He was careful to understand the effect they might have on others, so that was factored in.

We see false assumptions behind this thread, as with other similar ones. Please stop spreading false information and making it harder on us all P&K. If you're going to say "In the Bible", then specify where.
First, calling someone a liar about the Bible--as you're calling me--is really serious and offensive.

Second, I'm right. Please see a few verses-and there are others-where Jesus instructed people to be silent about miracles that He performed. Perhaps He told them to be silent more in connection with discovery of His divinity, but these verses all relate to situations where He performed miracles.

Mark 1:43-44
Matthew 9:30
Mark 1:43-44
Mark 5:43
Mark 7:36

There are plenty of other verses. Instructions by Jesus that people should keep silent, in the context of Jesus performing miracles, shouldn't be unknown to anyone who regularly reads the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity