Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:24 PM

20,392 posts, read 12,685,091 times

Advertisements

Jesus wasnt a Christian, he was a Hebrew man from the tribe of Judah, what he did and what Christians do are night and day.

Jesus was born a Jew because that was God’s chosen people. His followers were later called Christa s (little Christs)

Jesus kept the Sabbath, Christians keep Sunday.

We keep the first day of the week because that’s the day Jesus arose, cementing our redemption.
Jesus didnt eat unclean foods, most Christians eat pig, shellfish, and more all day.

Jesus brought the new covenant, grace. He spoke to Peter, clarifying the consumption of food.
Jesus kept the laws of God, most Christians think they are abolished.

Jesus fulfilled the law, in our place. He reduced the law to love God and love others.
Jesus said live by the commandments, and that gets you called a Fundie now.

???

Jesus studied the word, most Christians dont read their bible at all.

We read and study the Bible in our worship services; some study every day.
Jesus said remember his death, Christians remember his resurrection instead.

We remember BOTH.
Jesus didnt collect tithes, but most Christians tithe to Jesus.

Jesus had a treasury. We give to our churches, which preach the gospel and do charity.

Jesus attended Hanukkah, Christians do Christmas instead and pretty much any other former pagan holiday and just slap Jesus name on top.

Jesus attended Hanukah?

Kinda hard to act like Jesus, when passed down RCC traditions tell you to do the opposite.

I think the OP was referring to forgiveness, the beatitudes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 03:32 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,584,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Jesus fulfilled the law, in our place. He reduced the law to love God and love others.
Matthew 5:18 New International Version (NIV)

18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

earth is still here jimmies

Do these words say something different to you?

Old 02-11-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Matthew 5:18 New International Version (NIV)

18 For truly I tell you, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished.

earth is still here jimmies

Do these words say something different to you?
Matthew 22:37-40

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Romans 13:8-10

Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:46 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,584,469 times
Quote:
Matthew 22:37-40

And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets.”

Romans 13:8-10

Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.
Jesus doesn't say to forget what I just said about keeping ALL the laws until heaven and earth disappear and why would you listen to Paul instead of jesus?

until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. -jesus

Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Jesus doesn't say to forget what I just said about keeping ALL the laws until heaven and earth disappear and why would you listen to Paul instead of jesus?

until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. -jesus
The law is still valid. Jesus said if we LOVE, we are keeping the law. However, we fail. Jesus fulfilled the law, in our place, by His sinless life.

https://www.gotquestions.org/abolish-fulfill-law.html

Old 02-11-2019, 04:22 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
Quote:

And then Jesus accomplished it.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:26 PM

21,108 posts, read 13,443,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post

Me, I'm the worst of sinners despite being a Jesus follower. I'm not trying to work my way up in His eyes, I'm depending on His grace and mercy.
You are supposed to depend on his grace.

People who think they can 'work their way up' are following a false Doctrine. The sheer arrogance that any human can truly be righteous is astonishing.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:28 PM

4,684 posts, read 6,093,269 times
Quote:
Jesus wasnt a Christian, he was a Hebrew man from the tribe of Judah, what he did and what Christians do are night and day.

Jesus was born a Jew because that was God’s chosen people. His followers were later called Christa s (little Christs)

Jesus kept the Sabbath, Christians keep Sunday.

We keep the first day of the week because that’s the day Jesus arose, cementing our redemption.
Jesus didnt eat unclean foods, most Christians eat pig, shellfish, and more all day.

Jesus brought the new covenant, grace. He spoke to Peter, clarifying the consumption of food.
Jesus kept the laws of God, most Christians think they are abolished.

???

Jesus studied the word, most Christians dont read their bible at all.

We read and study the Bible in our worship services; some study every day.
Jesus said remember his death, Christians remember his resurrection instead.

We remember BOTH.
Jesus didnt collect tithes, but most Christians tithe to Jesus.

Jesus had a treasury. We give to our churches, which preach the gospel and do charity.

Jesus attended Hanukkah, Christians do Christmas instead and pretty much any other former pagan holiday and just slap Jesus name on top.

Jesus attended Hanukah?

Kinda hard to act like Jesus, when passed down RCC traditions tell you to do the opposite.

I think the OP was referring to forgiveness, the beatitudes, etc.
Exodus 3:18
18 Then they will heed your voice; and you shall come, you and the elders of Israel, to the king of Egypt; and you shall say to him, ‘The LordGod of the Hebrews has met with us; and now, please, let us go three days’ journey into the wilderness, that we may sacrifice to the Lord our God.’

Jesus was a Hebrew, as god said he is a God of the Hebrews, not the Jews, the Jews are just o1 of the 12 tribes of Israel.

--

We keep the 1st day, which nothing is wrong with that, but still disregard the 7th, which Jesus never said was abolished.

--

Hebrews 8:8
8 Because finding fault with them, He says: “Behold, the days are coming, says the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah

The New Covenant was mad with the house of Israel only, that is why when we are saved, we are grafted in, not the other way around.

--

In Regards to Peter, his vision on one roof top with the sheet of animals was to not refer to Gentiles as unclean, not the dietary laws.
Acts 10:24-28
24 And the following day they entered Caesarea. Now Cornelius was waiting for them, and had called together his relatives and close friends. 25 As Peter was coming in, Cornelius met him and fell down at his feet and worshiped him. 26 But Peter lifted him up, saying, “Stand up; I myself am also a man.” 27 And as he talked with him, he went in and found many who had come together. 28 Then he said to them, “You know how unlawful it is for a Jewish man to keep company with or go to one of another nation. But God has shown me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

--

Jesus didnt reduce the law to just 2, he summed up all the law and prophets as those 2. If you get rid of everything, its no way you can sum them up.
Matthew 22:36-40
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?”
37 Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and great commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40 On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”

--

You may read your bible and attend bible study, but alot of Christians barely read their bibles at all.

--

I have nothing against free will giving, as that is how a church survives and spreads the word, but making people feel guilty if they are not giving 10% of their income, when there is no command to give 10% of their income is what I have a problem with. Especially since its a Old Covenant commands and they believe that covenant has been replaced with a New one.

--

Yes, the Festival of dedication is Hanukkah.
John 10:22-24
22 Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. 23 And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon’s porch. 24 Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, “How long do You keep us in [a]doubt? If You are the Christ, tell us plainly.”

--

As for the Op referring to foreignness, the beatitudes, etc, that is my whole point, how can one know these or how to do them, when most will not read their bibles or even go to church now adays.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:31 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times
Oh goodie! A biblical verse-off!!

Old 02-12-2019, 06:45 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,848,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
And then Jesus accomplished it.
Ebionites cling to their ideas of religion in spite of all good sense, and will argue for it even when it has nothing to do with the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity