Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 04:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E. Ryter View Post
Uh-huh. Funny how Jesus, nor His disciples, nor any early Christians needed any of this.
There is one way of salvation. It doesn't need re-branding, to be made relevant in non-believing eyes, or to be doctored, propped-up, creatively displayed or anything else.
It needs to be told. It's that simple.
I'm not saying that Christians are to bash anyone over the head with the gospel, but I am saying that we don't have to (and indeed should never) change it, apologize for it, dress it up, or compromise it for the sake of not offending people.
The gospel, by it's very nature is offensive to the fallen world. That's why Christians have been martyred from the very beginning... beginning with Jesus and His disciples.

Times change. Truth does not.
What I interpret from your post is, correct me if I am wrong, if someone doesn't receive or understand or has some preconceived idea that is blocking him from the good news of the Bible...'the heck with him'.

So, if someone is closed to verses from the Bible, they do not understand this thing called 'faith' people have.... ( and who knows why, maybe his dad was an atheist and really influenced the guy against anything from the Bible) ...then, 'don't dare slip some sugar onto the message?'

Is that what you are saying? And jimmie?
It wouldn't be worth your effort?...That is what your post says to me, anyway.

Even tho Jesus, as advanced as he was, figured out a way to talk about sheep of all things
and seeds to the peasants ...came down to our level...so they could 'get it' ?
You will not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
People talk about Faith as if it's a good thing when it clearly isn't. It's the taking the unverified word of someone else as your truth when there is no way to confirm it, you just decide to join others who submit to that person/organization's "Truth".

This has been the start of many evil social/political movements based only on emotion & conformity & handing power over to a self-assumed "authority".
There are those that have done that...I call it blind faith.
But, with respect, Hefe.. (that's how I order my beer, btw....Gimme a Hefe...)
I agree you should test and verify!
And that is very lacking.
I follow Jesus' words because I have tested them and whatdoyano? They proved to work and be true.

His words, advice, directions were tested and verified by me ... and changed my life to one very happy life.

I have found that faith...simple, clear faith to be the strongest thing I have in my life...stronger than doubt or fear or pride or laziness...and on and on...it is only faith that pays my bills, being self employed.
When I didn't have faith ...I was in dire straights...so I trusted in my Father...not me or anyone else....
and it worked; I gave all my burdens to Him.*
(That was just one thing I did that Jesus advised.)

*Haha, couldn't get away from sort of saying a Bible verse. Oops.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:14 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times
Quote:
People talk about Faith as if it's a good thing when it clearly isn't. It's the taking the unverified word of someone else as your truth when there is no way to confirm it, you just decide to join others who submit to that person/organization's "Truth".

This has been the start of many evil social/political movements based only on emotion & conformity & handing power over to an self-assumed "authority".
Nope. I have faith that there’s a creator because a cosmic accident is illogical. I have faith in Christianity because I see it played out in the world around us (man is flawed but God redeems).

Last edited by Horn of ‘83; 02-19-2019 at 06:44 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 06:28 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Nope. I have faith that there’s a creator because a cosmic accident is illigical. I have faith in Christianity because I see it played out in the world around us (man is flawed but God redeems).
And we know make-believe is a significant part of your life.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:33 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
There are those that have done that...I call it blind faith.
But, with respect, Hefe.. (that's how I order my beer, btw....Gimme a Hefe...)
I agree you should test and verify!
And that is very lacking.
I follow Jesus' words because I have tested them and whatdoyano? They proved to work and be true.

His words, advice, directions were tested and verified by me ... and changed my life to one very happy life.

I have found that faith...simple, clear faith to be the strongest thing I have in my life...stronger than doubt or fear or pride or laziness...and on and on...it is only faith that pays my bills, being self employed.
When I didn't have faith ...I was in dire straights...so I trusted in my Father...not me or anyone else....
and it worked; I gave all my burdens to Him.*
(That was just one thing I did that Jesus advised.)

*Haha, couldn't get away from sort of saying a Bible verse. Oops.
What of those that follow other faiths and are experiencing just as fruitful a life as you?...Or better?...

Old 02-20-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What of those that follow other faiths and are experiencing just as fruitful a life as you?...Or better?...
Hi Richard, You may not know me much on a big forum... And you may being saying 'faith' as in religion? I say religion when I mean religion..it confuses me how some say things. Faith is faith, to me...to clarify.

I am the BIGGEST advocate that God, by any Name, is One Spiritual Being and any way a person worships, prays to or pictures Him, Who has no gender, is great...ie.. Bearded and Jewish,
Blue Boy with a flute, the Great Spirit Wanka Tanka, the Unmanifest, or the All That Is..the I Am.

Christians, Buddhists, Sikhs, Sufis, Zorastrians, Hindus, Jews, Native Americans, Shintos, or the
Bahá'ís or those with no religious identity...can have the most mystical,
holy experiences as anyone else!

The Sun shines on the criminal and the saint...we are all part and parcel of 'God'...whatever a person
says, by whatever description...Father, Creator, Jesus, Vishnu, the Friend, our Maker and Sustainer..I mean ,come on.., this obvious...cultures gravitate to what they prefer...so what....
from Zues to a Man in the Sky, ala Michelangelo.

"A rose by any other name would still smell as sweet."... Juliet to Romeo.

Btw, I am not Christian anymore or less than I am Hindu.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:48 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,795,328 times
Quote:

This has been the start of many evil social/political movements based only on emotion & conformity & handing power over to an self-assumed "authority".
Yes! That is exactly what faith is. It applies to "faith" in everything, not just religion. Like if you have faith that your house will still be standing 100 years from now but then it burns down....what good did that faith do you? What will happen is going to happen whether you believe it will or won't, I think a better word to use is "hope". I hope for the best but prepare for the worst responses ever when I post here.

But you are correct, basing your belief solely on emotion and just following the crowd is dangerous, to say the least. All people should be demanding tangible evidence for god-claims.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
All people should be demanding tangible evidence for god-claims.
I agree, seeing is believing...however, try showing someone else what you just 'saw' or experienced tangibly to you.
I can't blame anyone not believing what I tell them...it sounds pretty wild to left-brained people...
and, esp, to someone who never had any similar experiences themselves.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:47 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northsouth View Post
All people should be demanding tangible evidence for god-claims.
This only applies to people who have faith in the claim that there is no God to start with. This "NoGodFaith" is no different from "GodFaith" because when you start from them you are begging the question you then pretend to support logically. Abuse of the default to beg the question is the biggest annoyance in atheist thinking.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:45 PM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:

what ? unverified? this whole statement of yours is just SO bigotted.. what Christian do you know of that has followed him unverified? please make a list of everyone on here or oh heck just anywhere... that you think has followed him or the Bible unverified?

oh shoot what human do you know who would do such a thing as follow anyone? humanity isn't submissive , ESPECIALLY TO to unseen forces. especially at a truly emotional level. HUMANITY are way more submissive to seen forces like bullying from the Professors of homogenization and 'CLASS' Mates.

Just because the Christians are not telling you or anyone on this list.. .. it don't mean a thing that you didn't hear it.
There is not one Christian I know of that has followed him "unverified".. just because they didn't tell you what their verifications were along the way.. because they / we won't tell most of what He has done for us, or to us, or through us, that we have first hand eyewitnessed "verifications" of . but not on a list like this!! OH heck NO!! OR MAYBE NEVER AGAIN..

no that stuff is on a need to know basis , like to our closest friends in times of their trauma and or pain, BUT only on a needed to know basis, usually lead by His Spirit because we don't want to talk about it either!! NS only on need to know basis.. because those secrets are like talking about our love affairs, it is all personal and deeply rooted in both truth and or our pain AND EXPERIENCE ..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 02-20-2019 at 11:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity