U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 PM

756 posts, read 1,706,747 times

Advertisements

Ok heres my question;
how do you percieve someone being judgemental?

Is some one who is just quoting scripture, just pointing out a verse which applies to the situation judging?
for example, topic tatoos, quote from leviticus. using the Bible as a standard and stating it. ( not a personal attack to anyone with tatoos)

OR Is it that 'christians' (all faiths) live by Biblical standards and attempt to require everyone else to live to their standards, pointing out verses.?

I guess my question is ....is it that using scripture is judgemental?
or the attitude behind it??

when do you feel judged? when someone lectures you? ( prob). Or if someone just pointed out Biblical Scripture? Is there a difference?

Just wanted to get an idea of how people react to these discussions and such. I am curious and would like to get a better sense of the idea.

**disclaimer: I do not want to debate my religion is better than yours, or Im right your wrong...purely opinions on a person being "judgemental".
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,351,071 times
I think attitude is the key ingredient. If someone asks me how I feel about an issue, then I will probably back up my feelings with scripture. I'm not telling them how to live their life, I'm just explaining the basis for how I live mine. Now, if I go looking for people to use scripture on, it is inappropriate. Let's use your tattoo example. If someone asks me why I won't get a tattoo, I can quote the verse in Leviticus and say that's why. Now if I see someone who just got a tattoo, and I bring up the verse and use it as an attack on them, it is judgemental.

There is also common courtesy (or lack thereof). If you know someone doesn't want to hear what the Bible has to say about anything, then be polite and don't take every possible chance to bring the Bible up in conversation.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:30 PM

4,891 posts, read 11,985,066 times
i do think it;s the attitude. they have a snarky way of telling you why you are wrong by pointing out a verse that shows they are right.
but my question is for example: dojilynn, why do you quote a verse instead of just saying how you feel?
why do you not say: i dont like tattoos because i feel like my body is my temple and i would like to keep it clean inside and out, or something to that effect...?
is it that you wnat the person you are speaking with to know that you follow the Bible?

Old 04-09-2008, 12:31 PM

3,434 posts, read 6,644,875 times
speaking as someone who has tattoos..lol not going there. this is kind of odd, but just this morning i got a flyer from a church in our community that was so full of scripture backing up every sentence that i just couldnt read it..now i have no problem with scripture of course at all..but i think its all about balance and the knowledge to know when to use it and when not too.
IMHO, its judgemental sometimes to throw a scripture at someone or something without backing it up with love.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:39 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,351,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i do think it;s the attitude. they have a snarky way of telling you why you are wrong by pointing out a verse that shows they are right.
but my question is for example: dojilynn, why do you quote a verse instead of just saying how you feel?
why do you not say: i dont like tattoos because i feel like my body is my temple and i would like to keep it clean inside and out, or something to that effect...?
is it that you wnat the person you are speaking with to know that you follow the Bible?
Personally, I wouldn't be quoting exact scripture. You would never find me saying, "Well, since Romans 3:23 says...yada yada yada" I would more than likely say something similar to what you said. If they pressed the issue, then I would look up the passage I had in mind. I really am not the type of person to rub my religion in everyone's face. I was just using the hypothetical situation the OP suggested and trying to explain judgemental vs. nonjudgemental.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:45 PM

awesome thanx guys....i really do appreciate it!! xoxoxox

Old 04-09-2008, 01:03 PM

4,891 posts, read 11,985,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
Personally, I wouldn't be quoting exact scripture. You would never find me saying, "Well, since Romans 3:23 says...yada yada yada" I would more than likely say something similar to what you said. If they pressed the issue, then I would look up the passage I had in mind. I really am not the type of person to rub my religion in everyone's face. I was just using the hypothetical situation the OP suggested and trying to explain judgemental vs. nonjudgemental.
no, i understand that, and i was not implying that you did. i was using you as an example, and wondering what other people would do...

i personally could not quote the bible because i have honestly never really read it.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:26 PM

4,519 posts, read 8,353,714 times
Default Thought you'd enjoy this scripture!...

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16

I think the problem is that some people use it more like a club than a sword - sometimes....

Sure hope you don't mind that I quoted a scripture to answer this question!

Have a blessed day!

Last edited by World Citizen; 04-09-2008 at 03:38 PM..

Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,612,375 times
Our minister said this on Sunday, Talking about two types of people, those who go to church and those who don't. He said based on research there are only two differences and they are:
1. Those who go to church, go to church.
2. Those that go to church are more judgemental than those who don't.

Messed up right! I will have to get the name of the man who did this research to site it for you, but he is famous for doing research on religions. I am not sure if I am spelling this right or not but the guys name is George Barna.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Timothy 3:16

I think the problem is that some people use it more like a club than a sword - sometimes....

Sure hope you don't mind that I quoted a scripture to answer this question!

Have a blessed day!
I was waiting for that....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity