Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 08:52 AM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
A child cannot understand the concept of a supreme being?
That's one of the strangest things I've ever heard.

To me, the lake of fire is the eternally burning temple in the city, which is still burning (symbolically) because it shows that God doesn't want a man-made temple to take the place of the true temple. That's what I read in Revelation. It couldn't have been more clear.
The age at which a young child comes to understand the concept of a supreme being (God) varies. But I don't think any one year old would have the ability to do so. It takes time for a child's thought processes to develop.

The issue is not what it (the lake of fire) is 'to you'. The issue is what the Biblical writers, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit said about it. The lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels as per Matthew 25:41, and will also be the place where all who have not received Christ as Savior will spend the eternal future (Matthew 25:41-46; Revelation 20:11-15).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 08:59 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
I've never implied that I wanted to silence anyone. As I've said, I am happy for those who have found that form of faith in the truest sense. I've already stated that I don't think I am better than anyone of a different type of faith.

As far as people doing what they "want" to do, I think people do it already. The spirit of Christ working inside of them gives them a desire to do what is good. People know inside that they would not enjoy doing evil things. Like Paul said, he wants to do good things, but he is not perfect. When he does bad things, they are the things he does NOT want to do.
When Paul does bad things, he blames it not on himself, but the "evil" within him (Roman 7:19-21). Apparently, it is his demon spirit (Revelation 16:13-16) which has control of his actions, and therefore he keeps the law of sin with his flesh (Romans 7:25). Kind of like as is done with "many" of his followers, such as the pope and Bill Clinton who referred to that passage with respect to their publicized sins.

Old 02-24-2019, 09:03 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
The age at which a young child comes to understand the concept of a supreme being (God) varies. But I don't think any one year old would have the ability to do so. It takes time for a child's thought processes to develop.

The issue is not what it (the lake of fire) is 'to you'. The issue is what the Biblical writers, writing under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit said about it. The lake of fire was prepared for the devil and his angels as per Matthew 25:41, and will also be the place where all who have not received Christ as Savior will spend the eternal future (Matthew 25:41-46; Revelation 20:11-15).

God loves the "little children", the double minded adults, not so much.

New American Standard Bible Psalm 119:113
I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Your law.

Old 02-24-2019, 11:06 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
I cannot speak on alcohol or other addictions, but I have first hand experience with heroin addiction and I can honestly say, the aspect of addiction that is the most 'damaging' is the fact it is illegal in the first place, the laws against these drugs, actually contribute most to the devastation.

Heroin is NOT cheap by any means, it costs more than gold, so managing that addiction takes A LOT of money...every single day (this is what ends up getting people into trouble with addiction most of the time), its impossible to support such an expensive habit on a low income job, so addicts resort to crime to get the money they need.

It may sound crazy, but if a drug like heroin was legal and regulated, it would not be nearly as expensive, and addicts would not have to resort to crime to obtain it, the actual use of the drug everyday is not that destructive, as long as you use in moderation, I know plenty of people that use and then go into work, they are functioning addicts, they take just enough to make them feel well/normal and not enough to blitz them or knock them out.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:42 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
I have to say that these are the qualities that are often found in the Christian convert. The person who is "saved" is often saved from a past addictive behavior. The recovered alcoholic. The overeater. The sex addict. The reformed drug addict. The reformed wife abuser. The schoolyard bully. The fighter. I feel good about these people. I am glad for what they are doing in accepting the love that God has always been ready to share with them.

But they don't understand that not everyone has had the same experiences that they have. Not everyone is tempted by the things they are tempted by. But that doesn't make the others bad. Can't you see how twisted it is to tell people they are lost and going to Hell for not acknowledging what you have acknowledged?

I am not saying that one group is better than the other. There are good and bad consequences to each person's background and experiences. It is often the "nurture" of background and experiences that makes a person what he is. Maybe one day that other person will be struggling because of unforeseen consequences, but until that day he may not need Christianity.

If evangelical Christianity works for you, that's great. But please don't preach to those who are not struggling with those things. WHY? Because of this: The message is FALSE when you do that. It defies logic and common sense. Go into the nightclubs and bars. Go into the prisons. Go where God's love is most needed.

But stay away from the bowling alleys, parks, and grocery stores.
Some people are addicted to religion, and use it to abuse others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity