Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2019, 09:34 AM

28,088 posts, read 29,930,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Are you implying charity? If so, we do that.
I'm not implying anything. I'm just saying that it appeared as if you were interpreting "liberal" to apply strictly to political matters. There are a lot of ways (including charitable contributions, among others) in which a church and its individual members might be considered to be "liberal." Maybe the OP could tell us specifically what he had in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2019, 11:05 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Because the people (who have some wrong ideas) are great

Old 02-24-2019, 12:04 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
If you're a conservative in a liberal church (or the reverse), why do you stay?

It depends on how you define something as the meaning can vary among different people.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:29 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,747,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm pretty sure Jesus' overwhelming message was love one another as I have loved you. The last shall be first. Whatsoever you do to the least of your brothers, that you do unto me. Judge not. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

I'm not hijacking anything, puppiesandkittens. This is totally on topic.
One can be nonjudgemenal and recognize sin simultaneously.
We don't have to throw one approach completely out to support the other.
There isn't hardly a shred of depth or wisdom in modern American politics, left or right, so one would be smart to completely set that nonsense aside when examining the original message of Christianity.
Just because someone thinks it's a bad idea for government to do all the charitable work, doesn't mean they themselves are uncharitable. Disagreeing does not make the other person a monster either.

For this thread, liberal protestant churches often tend to be way out there, denying many of the basic beliefs of historic Christianity. They can do what they want, but it seems rather pointless after a while.
Fundamentalist churches all too often get hung up on using proof-texts of obscure scripture to base entire doctrine on without seeing the whole context of the situation.
Middle of the road churches get caught up in loud pep-rally style worship services theologically watered down to where they can articulate basic doctrine when needed but generally won't get into the weeds too far.
I'm still a believer. I still recognize the value of church, a community. I couldn't stay with any of the above.

Old 02-24-2019, 01:04 PM

88,507 posts, read 84,673,021 times
A reminder, folks, that if you want to discuss politics, the place for that is on the P&OC forum, not this one.

The OP is asking about liberal or conservative as far as Christianity is concerned. Please keep the conversation to that topic.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Generally, I stay in conservative Lutheran churches. Thanks to the miderator for making that clear. I agree.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:08 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,346 times
Sub, excellent post!

Old 02-24-2019, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
For this thread, liberal protestant churches often tend to be way out there, denying many of the basic beliefs of historic Christianity. They can do what they want, but it seems rather pointless after a while. Fundamentalist (conservative) churches all too often get hung up on using proof-texts of obscure scripture to base entire doctrine on without seeing the whole context of the situation. Middle of the road churches get caught up in loud pep-rally style worship services theologically watered down to where they can articulate basic doctrine when needed but generally won't get into the weeds too far.

I'm still a believer. I still recognize the value of church, a community. I couldn't stay with any of the above.
What other choices are there?

Old 02-24-2019, 05:54 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,132,082 times
I like the alternative to all of this: being a moderate who has informal "church" with a group of friends. No extremism, no attitudes, no walls, no creeds and membership fees, and zero % BS.

Old 02-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I like the alternative to all of this: being a moderate who has informal "church" with a group of friends.

No extremism, no attitudes, no walls, no creeds and membership fees, and zero % BS.
In contrast that would be preferable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity