Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 02:43 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,699,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Evolution right before the xian eyes

Evolve or die off.
We are awaiting a great change. Everything has been changing since the beginning. Change is the only constant.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:57 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,699,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
All Christians are part of THE church.

I think God created us for community and I can’t understand “Lone Ranger” Christians. Jesus sent out the 72 in pairs. If people didn’t band together, we wouldn’t have schools, hospitals, food banks, etc.
I'm not alone. I interact with both believers and non-believers in my community. I am a survivor of a direct hit by hurricane Michael last October. The love and help that was poured out in our community was overwhelming and it is still on-going. It is, in some cases connected with churches, and in some cases simply people helping people. We have two people living with us who lost their home in the storm. The Salvation Army and other groups served thousands of hot meals. Neighbors helped each other - including my neighbors on both sides. The first thing that happened after the storm passed over was that people emerged from their houses and went around checking to see if others were trapped or in need of medical help. Then for weeks it was a huge matter of finding or sharing bottled water and generators. People came with chain saws. We were without power for many weeks - no internet - no phone - no stores open. But everyone helped each other. This storm took out 75 % of the trees in Panama City, Lynn Haven, Mexico Beach and surrounding areas. There were homes completely leveled. Our home lost a pretty big portion of the roof. We are still in repair mode, but we did get a new roof before Christmas. But we still have ceilings and walls to replace. It will all take time. We have picked up debris for months and the traffic has been quite bad as roads were often blocked by large trucks picking up the millions of pounds of debris that was gathered in huge piles. It has not been easy. But I am thankful that I live in a community that is filled with many good people who know that we must work together and help one another.

Unfortunately, because there is mostly one thing that hogs the national news cycle, a lot of people didn't even know about the severity of hurricane Michael.

If you are interested in a general overview of the damage caused by the storm, here is a link:
https://www.weather.gov/tae/HurricaneMichael2018

This is not my house, but this is the level of damage that was seen in a widespread region. The house across the street from us was flattened and it is now gone.

Last edited by RainMusic; 03-02-2019 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 03:06 PM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is never a bad idea to to turn back to God after dabbling with things which do not honor God. God will accept them back like the prodigal son.
It will be interesting to see where it goes from here. As long as the universities and seminaries are pushing out liberal students, the church will continue to go that direction.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:08 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,017,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The reason the UMC took a "conservative stand," is that it was too successful in recruiting African churches into their fold. And Africans Christians have been heavily indoctrinated by conservative Christians and solidly anti-LGBTQ. They have been the fastest growing section of the UMC. In the U.S. it is split a bit more evenly.

Almost the entire west division of the UMC is more liberal. We even have a lesbian bishop presiding over the western division. It wasn't a "terrific" move, it was what was predicted. Like the Southern and Northern Baptist churches split over race, the more liberal Methodist churches will leave over oppression of LGBTQ.

Right here in Colorado there are already meetings being planned to discuss the coming split.

My own UMC church has an open policy regardless of race, color, sex, or sexual orientation. The liberal side of the UMC is small, but we feel like a cancer is being removed keeping us from a closer walk with Jesus.
I see a split coming. Of course, some United Methodist ministers are conservative in the US, most United Methodist in the US are affirming. If the Affirming Churches won, then there will still be a split as well.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:20 PM

88,289 posts, read 84,276,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
You have attended these churches? Regardless, I am not seeking a church because I am part of THE church. It is not about a man-made organization or sitting inside a building on Sundays and Wednesdays. It's about my heart and my walk with God and the way I interact with all people, not just people who agree with me. I was not called to God to condemn the world's people. I see judgement coming down everyday and I do not have to lift a finger or point a finger - it simply comes.
Well, you've been around long enough to know I do.

But still, as I already said, I have not always been part of a church community, and I might not always in the future. I had reasons for seeking to connect with the current one at the time I did.

It is not necessary to belong to a community to connect with God.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMusic View Post
I'm not alone. I interact with both believers and non-believers in my community. I am a survivor of a direct hit by hurricane Michael last October. The love and help that was poured out in our community was overwhelming and it is still on-going. It is, in some cases connected with churches, and in some cases simply people helping people. We have two people living with us who lost their home in the storm. The Salvation Army and other groups served thousands of hot meals. Neighbors helped each other - including my neighbors on both sides. The first thing that happened after the storm passed over was that people emerged from their houses and went around checking to see if others were trapped or in need of medical help. Then for weeks it was a huge matter of finding or sharing bottled water and generators. People came with chain saws. We were without power for many weeks - no internet - no phone - no stores open. But everyone helped each other. This storm took out 75 % of the trees in Panama City, Lynn Haven, Mexico Beach and surrounding areas. There were homes completely leveled. Our home lost a pretty big portion of the roof. We are still in repair mode, but we did get a new roof before Christmas. But we still have ceilings and walls to replace. It will all take time. We have picked up debris for months and the traffic has been quite bad as roads were often blocked by large trucks picking up the millions of pounds of debris that was gathered in huge piles. It has not been easy. But I am thankful that I live in a community that is filled with many good people who know that we must work together and help one another.

Unfortunately, because there is mostly one thing that hogs the national news cycle, a lot of people didn't even know about the severity of hurricane Michael.

If you are interested in a general overview of the damage caused by the storm, here is a link:
https://www.weather.gov/tae/HurricaneMichael2018

This is not my house, but this is the level of damage that was seen in a widespread region. The house across the street from us was flattened and it is now gone.
Thanks for the update on your area. You are right about these things falling out of the national sight quickly. We had Sandy in 2012, and there are still people who haven't yet rebuilt. Most of the area has recovered, although it took years.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:08 PM

3,751 posts, read 5,827,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
The same happened in the Episcopal Church, Warden, or rather in The Anglican Communion, the global organization of which the US Episcopal Church is a part. The Anglicans in Africa and other areas do not like our acceptance of gays, including marrying and ordaining them, and so we are under some sort of sanction by the wider church. Whatevs.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/w...marriages.html
Yes, what is sad that there are all these divisions within the Anglican Communion: Episcopal Church, ANCA, CANA, AMiA , Reformed Episcopalians, etc...….

In the case with the Episc. church, the liberals won out because the worldwide communion was not voting with the US congregations.

I think we are becoming just like the Lutherans: ELCA, LCMS, Wisc. Synod, American Lutheran, etc...….

It troubles me that some of these break-a-ways are not in communion with the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Old 03-02-2019, 05:28 PM

Nothing new. The Episcopal Church in the US came into being when they refused to swear allegiance to the head of the Church of England.

They are all man-made organizations. Doesn't bother me.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 03-02-2019 at 09:04 PM..

Old 03-02-2019, 08:21 PM

63,563 posts, read 39,846,061 times
Default Conservative Christians Just Retook the United Methodist Church

It never ceases to amaze me how the institutions of humanity can so thoroughly muck things up!

Old 03-03-2019, 11:41 AM

18,918 posts, read 6,923,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by herenow1 View Post
I see a split coming. Of course, some United Methodist ministers are conservative in the US, most United Methodist in the US are affirming. If the Affirming Churches won, then there will still be a split as well.
It's a shame, isn't it? If people would just read what God's Word says and go with it....none of this would happen. Stand on the Bible, not our own opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.