Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 01:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Wait one second here!!

IF a guy lusts after a specific woman he sees in public, but he leaves it at that, and does not attempt to talk to her, or try to get a date, in other words, trying to make physical sex with her, come to fruition...wouldnt that be successfully resisting temptation?

Even Jesus was said to resist temptation, that doesnt mean he was not tempted, just means he was strong enough to resist taking part or going forward with it.

However if it is actually AS SINFUL to be tempted...we are all in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 01:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Wait one second here!!

IF a guy lusts after a specific woman he sees in public, but he leaves it at that, and does not attempt to talk to her, or try to get a date, in other words, trying to make physical sex with her, come to fruition...wouldn't that be successfully resisting temptation?

Even Jesus was said to resist temptation, that doesn't mean he was not tempted, just means he was strong enough to resist taking part or going forward with it.

However if it is actually AS SINFUL to be tempted...we are all in trouble.
Have you ever undressed a woman in public, the act is not always necessary?

Old 03-11-2019, 07:20 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Have you ever undressed a woman in public, the act is not always necessary?
Sure I have.

BUT...I certainly do not take steps that would lead to physical sex with her though, (ultimately if a guy is undressing a woman in his mind, he desires to be with her physically)..
Although back in my teens and early 20s, I did take these steps, if I saw a nice looking female, I would approach her, small talk, ask for her number or even ask her out on a date, many times, this led to physical sex later on, Thus, I gave in to temptation.

AVOIDING THAT is successfully resisting temptation in my book, you didnt follow thru and take steps towards what you most desired, not sure how it could be interpreted any other way?!

The opinion that its sinful to think about these things is ridiculous, that would basically mean just feeling temptation is a sin! We have no control over temptations...it comes down to whether we act on them or not.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:12 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Sure I have.

BUT...I certainly do not take steps that would lead to physical sex with her though, (ultimately if a guy is undressing a woman in his mind, he desires to be with her physically)..
Although back in my teens and early 20s, I did take these steps, if I saw a nice looking female, I would approach her, small talk, ask for her number or even ask her out on a date, many times, this led to physical sex later on, Thus, I gave in to temptation.

AVOIDING THAT is successfully resisting temptation in my book, you didnt follow thru and take steps towards what you most desired, not sure how it could be interpreted any other way?!

The opinion that its sinful to think about these things is ridiculous, that would basically mean just feeling temptation is a sin! We have no control over temptations...it comes down to whether we act on them or not.
Yet that is EXACTLY what Jesus intended when He stated that to look upon a woman with lust is adultery.

His point was to make the "law" abiding religious Jews see themselves as no better than those who carried through with their actions. It was to level the playing field, so to speak, between those who believed themselves to be "better" than others.

I've been married 48 years to the same woman---the only woman with whom I've ever had intercourse--yet I cannot hold myself out as "holier" than any other man or woman. Which was His point. We are all in need of a Savior who forgives us.

Think that thoughts can't have consequences if you air them? Express the opinion openly that the POTUS ought to be shot---see who comes visiting if they get wind of it.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:40 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
And I certainly do have eyes for the one who will stand with me on the altar, nobody else.
That just doesn’t sound right...

Old 03-11-2019, 09:50 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Let's see. So, there is no sexual attraction to a woman you're dating but it suddenly just appears on your wedding night?

BTW. Does this apply to women,too? Never seem to see that mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Thank you for clarifying that part but you didn't answer the rest of my question. And, yes, it asked in all seriousness.
Okay, I'll answer the first part of your question - There should be an attraction to one another and it should not just be a sexual attraction. I'm 62 and yes, I know it's easy for me to say this to the younger crowd who in most cases want to be with one another for solely the physical intimacy. I was a teenager and I went through my 20s and 30s, and I admit, whenever I wanted to date a girl/woman I focused mainly on her physical traits, and yes I was attracted to them for other reasons, like their personality, I would say it was 70% physical/sexual attraction, and 30% others. I can't speak for the girls/women I was involved with in the past, but women in general tend to be more mature than we are when it comes to relationships, even before they embrace God and become Born Again. Most men do become more mature as we get older; I've known a woman since 2003, both of us see each other as very close friends and we both based the relationship on Christian principals, and if we get married we won't have any problems.

Overall, when one or both people (Born Again or not) focus mainly on the sexual aspects of the relationship, it can create problems later when they get married, and of course such problems can propagate into more serious problems, and in most cases they'll lead to divorce. That could explain the reasons for the high divorce rate we have.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:58 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That just doesn’t sound right...
Why not? Is there anything wrong with having eyes/loving only one woman? And by loving her I mean the Christ kind of love, not lusting after her.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:04 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,806,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Why not? Is there anything wrong with having eyes/loving only one woman? And by loving her I mean the Christ kind of love, not lusting after her.
He's afraid of the altar.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 1,709,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Yet that is EXACTLY what Jesus intended when He stated that to look upon a woman with lust is adultery.

His point was to make the "law" abiding religious Jews see themselves as no better than those who carried through with their actions. It was to level the playing field, so to speak, between those who believed themselves to be "better" than others.

I've been married 48 years to the same woman---the only woman with whom I've ever had intercourse--yet I cannot hold myself out as "holier" than any other man or woman. Which was His point. We are all in need of a Savior who forgives us.

Think that thoughts can't have consequences if you air them? Express the opinion openly that the POTUS ought to be shot---see who comes visiting if they get wind of it.
Thank you for explaining this better than I ever could have. God is concerned with the "thoughts and intents of the heart". We need only admit to ourselves and God that we know we are as guilty as the next person.

Old 03-12-2019, 03:24 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
He's afraid of the altar.
You really don’t have a clue...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity