Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 06:58 AM

421 posts, read 153,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Matt Ch16
“Who do men say that I, the Son of Man, am?”
14 So they said, “Some say John the Baptist, some Elijah, and others Jeremiah or
one of the prophets.”
15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?”

----------
Yet, another place, that indicates reincarnation was so accepted at that time...and by
Jesus...
he never said.."What do you mean I was Elijah...that's blaspheme !"

I write this for Christians that for some reason do not acknowledge moment in the Bible.
I don't mind that they don't get reincarnation is a real thing...
I just don't like being put down for believing it...I'm not putting them down...but here....read for yourself.
Also, in John the disciples asked Jesus if the blind man sinned before his birth.
There are a few instances in the gospels that seem like they would have been a perfect opportunity for Jesus to address reincarnation, but He doesn't ever say "yes" or "no" on the topic.

I'm like Mystic, somewhat of an agnostic on reincarnation, but I do believe that our primary goal as Christians is to grow from glory to glory into the image of God, and I suspect that one lifetime isn't enough to accomplish the transformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2019, 07:22 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Logically, reincarnation doesn't fit with the concept of resurrection. In reincarnation a person dies and comes back as someone else. Reincarnation is the rebirth of the soul in a new body. It's the same soul, but in a new body. But the Bible teaches resurrection of the body. The person dies and awaits the resurrection of the body. If both reincarnation and resurrection were true, then how could the same soul inhabit the different bodies that resulted from reincarnation? How can one soul inhabit more than one body? If a person reincarnated ten times, then at the resurrection, his soul could only inhabit one body and the rest of the bodies would be, dare I say it . . . zombies.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
Also, in John the disciples asked Jesus if the blind man sinned before his birth.
There are a few instances in the gospels that seem like they would have been a perfect opportunity for Jesus to address reincarnation, but He doesn't ever say "yes" or "no" on the topic.
I'm like Mystic, somewhat of an agnostic on reincarnation, but I do believe that our primary goal as Christians is to grow from glory to glory into the image of God, and I suspect that one lifetime isn't enough to accomplish the transformation.
Haha...that was my next verse with Jesus!

John9:2-3 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents,
that he was born blind?”
“Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus,
“but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.
Why didn't Jesus say," What the heck are you talking about?!! "

I'm just talking to (some) Christians here that may go to the Bible to refute reincarnation...
as something to consider, that's all.

Speaking to the agnostics...that's fair. I always say, 'a healthy skepticism is ...healthy'.
Since I have seen, I laugh , probably every documentary found online...
with camera's following kids that casually talk about previous lives going to the place they remember in detail....and books, again, especially about children...then,
MD's that have risked
being disbarred waiting years to finally
announce all the sessions they have had (surprisingly to them!!!) of past life memories
coming up in hypnosis...ha, when they only wanted their patients to get over some phobia...
similar to, "On A Clear Day" w/ B. Streisand...
when you research it, listen to doctors that have 'no skin in the game', nor the kids or their parents...
I believe it influences one
to 'be more open'.

But, on the surface, without this input (research) or personal experience....reincarnation could seem implausible.
I get it.
AND, it makes no difference in a person's life, imo. So ya have that, also!

Old 05-31-2019, 07:40 AM

While I'm at it...this is another verse that is interesting: (Proves nothing, just interesting)--
Rev 3: 12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God,
and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God,.....

And,
"For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come."
-Matt 11:13-14

Old 05-31-2019, 07:56 AM

421 posts, read 153,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
While I'm at it...this is another verse that is interesting: (Proves nothing, just interesting)--
Rev 3: 12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God,
and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God,.....

And,
"For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.
And if you are willing to accept it, he is the Elijah who was to come."
-Matt 11:13-14
I have looked at these verses also. About 15 years ago I did a Bible study on the topic, and again 10 years ago when a friend started talking to me about it. Both times I came to the same conclusion: That the Bible is inconclusive on reincarnation.

But: Jesus said "I have many more things to tell you, but you are unable to receive them now. But when the Holy spirit (the comforter) comes, He will guide you into all truth."

I want to share a couple things that I remember from childhood, but I'm at work now, and I actually have work that I need to do.

Old 06-01-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hball72 View Post
But: Jesus said "I have many more things to tell you, but you are unable to receive them now.

But when the Holy spirit (the comforter) comes, He will guide you into all truth."
I like some other translations ...you cannot grasp them now....another...you cannot bear them....

3 years around campfire talks ...some seeing him turn into light, talking to the 'dead'...
what could they not grasp? Idiots!!!! Sorry, am I too blunt? MQ is rubbing off on me.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:24 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You didn't even bother to address the reason I gave why resurrection and reincarnation cannot both be true. The Bible clearly teaches resurrection. It does not teach reincarnation. And yes, I am aware of Jesus' remarks in Matthew 11:14 about John the baptist being Elijah. He wasn't speaking literally. John the Baptist came in the power or pattern of Elijah.

And simply 'reading' the Bible isn't going to get you very far. Bible reading is not Bible study.
Over those who have died the first death, which is that of the physical body in which they, the minds/spirits have developed, and who are resurrected to life in their new glorious bodies of incorruptible light, death has no more power, and they cannot die a second time.

But at the close of each period of universal activity, when the goats are divided from the sheep and are cast back into the refining fires of physical life once more, and those minds/ spirits are divided from the soul, which is the divine animating principle that pervades the entire universe, those souls must continue in the eternal cycle of rebirths, 'Reincarnations.' IMO.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:49 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Anointed View Post
Over those who have died the first death, which is that of the physical body in which they, the minds/spirits have developed, and who are resurrected to life in their new glorious bodies of incorruptible light, death has no more power, and they cannot die a second time.

But at the close of each period of universal activity, when the goats are divided from the sheep and are cast back into the refining fires of physical life once more, and those minds/ spirits are divided from the soul, which is the divine animating principle that pervades the entire universe, those souls must continue in the eternal cycle of rebirths, 'Reincarnations.' IMO.
And your opinion is all that it is. The Bible does not teach reincarnation. The lake of fire is not a ''refining fire of physical life.'' According to the Bible the lake of fire is the second death as per Revelation 20:14.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:59 PM

3,061 posts, read 914,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
And your opinion is all that it is. The Bible does not teach reincarnation. The lake of fire is not a ''refining fire of physical life.'' According to the Bible the lake of fire is the second death as per Revelation 20:14.
And that is your person opinion, is it?

Well your opinion, which you are entitled too, differs vastly from mine.

According to the ancient cultures, we live in an eternal oscillating universe that expands outward and contracts back to its beginning in space time.

“Universe after universe is like an interminable succession of wheels forever coming into view, forever rolling onwards, disappearing and reappearing; forever passing from being to non-being, and again from non-being to being. In short, the constant
revolving of the wheel of life in one eternal cycle, according to fixed and immutable laws, is perhaps after all, the sum and substance of the philosophy of Buddhism. And this eternal wheel has so to speak, six spokes representing six forms of existence.” ---- Mon. Williams, Buddhism, pp. 229, 122.

The days and nights of Brahma are called Manvantara, or the cycle of manifestation, ‘The Great Day,’ which is a period of universal activity, that is preceded, and also followed by ‘Pralaya,’ a dark period, which to our finite minds would seem as an eternity, or but a moment in time.

‘Manvantara,’ is a creative day as seen in the six days of creation in Genesis, ‘Pralaya,’ is the evening that proceeds the next creative day. The six periods of Creation and the seventh day of rest in which we now exist are referred to in the book of Genesis as the “GENERATIONS OF THE UNIVERSE.”

The English word “Generation,” is translated from the Hebrew “toledoth” which is used in the Old Testament in every instance as ‘births,’ or ‘descendants,’ such as “These are the generations of Adam,” or “these are the generations of Abraham, and Genesis 2: 4; These are the generations of the Universe or the heavens and earth, etc. And the ‘Great Day’ in which the seven generations of the universe are eternally repeated, is the eternal cosmic period, or the eighth eternal day in which those who attain to perfection are allowed to enter, where they shall be surrounded by great light and they shall experience eternal peace, while those who do not attain to perfection are cast back into the refining fires of the seven physical cycles of endless rebirths that perpetually revolve within the eighth eternal cosmic cycle.

Enoch the righteous, wrote that God created an eighth day also, so that it should be the first after his works, and it is a day eternal with neither hours, days, weeks, months or years, for all time is stuck together in one eon, etc, etc, and all who enter into the generation of the Light beings, are able to visit all those worlds that still exist in Space-Time, but not in our time.

A series of worlds following one upon the other-- each world rising a step higher than the previous world, so that every later world brings to ripeness the seeds that were imbedded in the former, and itself then prepares the seed for the universe that will follow it. This is the true resurrection in which all from the previous cycle of universal activity, who still have the judgmental war raging within them, are born again into the endless cycles of physical manifestation, or rebirths.

Last edited by The Anointed; 06-02-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 06-02-2019, 07:59 PM

Hi The Anointed, I love it...not much was new to me.
Hahaha, but, saying Brahma and Light Beings to
a person that believes the Bible is the end all and be of knowledge and thinks our decayed bodies or cremated bodies will resurrect in the flesh won't mean a thing.
But others here will enjoy your post a lot. And thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity