U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2019, 05:04 PM
 
10,552 posts, read 12,744,353 times
Reputation: 3869

Advertisements

I have heard lots of people who identify as Christians but who also believe in more Hunduistic things. What do you think of a person who believes in the atonement of Jesus Christ dying for their sins, but they also believe in Reincarnation. Not from reading Hindu texts (though they respect the religion) but they interpret the Bible as describing reincarnation. I only ask this because I've either known or read material from several people who have these (seemingly contrary) beliefs.

What do you think? Are they true Christians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2019, 06:06 PM
 
21,870 posts, read 16,696,582 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard lots of people who identify as Christians but who also believe in more Hunduistic things. What do you think of a person who believes in the atonement of Jesus Christ dying for their sins, but they also believe in Reincarnation. Not from reading Hindu texts (though they respect the religion) but they interpret the Bible as describing reincarnation. I only ask this because I've either known or read material from several people who have these (seemingly contrary) beliefs.

What do you think? Are they true Christians?
A person can be in error doctrinally with regard to non-essential doctrines (as opposed to the essential doctrines [Jesus dying for our sins and His resurrection]) and still be a true Christian. Belief in reincarnation is not doctrinally sound, but it is a non-essential doctrine.

A bit of common sense shows that reincarnation is not compatable with resurrection. The belief in reincarnation posits that when a person dies he comes back again in another body. The soul of that person inhabits a new body with each new incarnation. But in resurrection the person's soul rejoins the body of the person who died. The body is raised in a state of incorruptability and immortality.

If reincarnation were true along with resurrection, then which of the resurrected bodies would the soul of that person rejoin? If that person's soul reincarnated ten times into ten different bodies, and all ten bodies were resurrected, the soul of that person could only rejoin one of the ten resurrected bodies. Nine of the resurrected bodies would be zombies. If resurrection is true then reincarnation cannot be true.

I think a person who is a Christian but believes in reincarnation is doctrinally in error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 06:10 PM
 
3,574 posts, read 1,373,416 times
Reputation: 7002
"What do you think?"
i think they regard religion as a cafeteria restaurant.
"i'll have some of that and a little of this..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 07:33 PM
 
10,552 posts, read 12,744,353 times
Reputation: 3869
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A person can be in error doctrinally with regard to non-essential doctrines (as opposed to the essential doctrines [Jesus dying for our sins and His resurrection]) and still be a true Christian. Belief in reincarnation is not doctrinally sound, but it is a non-essential doctrine.

A bit of common sense shows that reincarnation is not compatable with resurrection. The belief in reincarnation posits that when a person dies he comes back again in another body. The soul of that person inhabits a new body with each new incarnation. But in resurrection the person's soul rejoins the body of the person who died. The body is raised in a state of incorruptability and immortality.

If reincarnation were true along with resurrection, then which of the resurrected bodies would the soul of that person rejoin? If that person's soul reincarnated ten times into ten different bodies, and all ten bodies were resurrected, the soul of that person could only rejoin one of the ten resurrected bodies. Nine of the resurrected bodies would be zombies. If resurrection is true then reincarnation cannot be true.

I think a person who is a Christian but believes in reincarnation is doctrinally in error.
Personally, I think that your interpretation is just the way that traditional Christianity has taught. But it is not necessarily what a person NOT raised in a Christian church would assume from reading the Bible. You yourself (or maybe certain Christians) might not even be able to read the Bible from a fresh perspective because of having been taught certain "doctrines" which are really nothing more than one out of many possible interpretations. The fact that a doctrine has been taught for generations is not proof that it was originally an accurate interpretation. Maybe it just proves that it has been a popular one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 07:42 PM
 
5,965 posts, read 1,704,003 times
Reputation: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard lots of people who identify as Christians but who also believe in more Hunduistic things. What do you think of a person who believes in the atonement of Jesus Christ dying for their sins, but they also believe in Reincarnation. Not from reading Hindu texts (though they respect the religion) but they interpret the Bible as describing reincarnation. I only ask this because I've either known or read material from several people who have these (seemingly contrary) beliefs.

What do you think? Are they true Christians?
What do I think? I think those 2 things are incompatible. The person, however sincere and well-meaning they may be, is simply confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2019, 07:56 PM
 
21,870 posts, read 16,696,582 times
Reputation: 8687
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Personally, I think that your interpretation is just the way that traditional Christianity has taught. But it is not necessarily what a person NOT raised in a Christian church would assume from reading the Bible. You yourself (or maybe certain Christians) might not even be able to read the Bible from a fresh perspective because of having been taught certain "doctrines" which are really nothing more than one out of many possible interpretations. The fact that a doctrine has been taught for generations is not proof that it was originally an accurate interpretation. Maybe it just proves that it has been a popular one.
You didn't even bother to address the reason I gave why resurrection and reincarnation cannot both be true. The Bible clearly teaches resurrection. It does not teach reincarnation. And yes, I am aware of Jesus' remarks in Matthew 11:14 about John the baptist being Elijah. He wasn't speaking literally. John the Baptist came in the power or pattern of Elijah.

And simply 'reading' the Bible isn't going to get you very far. Bible reading is not Bible study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 07:27 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
56,093 posts, read 54,581,442 times
Reputation: 66491
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
"What do you think?"
i think they regard religion as a cafeteria restaurant.
"i'll have some of that and a little of this..."
"Cafeteria Christians", yulk yulk yulk. That meme went stale a long time ago.

In reality, it's generally that there are people who find truths in Christianity and maybe identify as Christian and are part of a Christian community, and they also now feel more open to asking questions and exploring facets of spirituality that were forbidden to even speak about when under the ol' fear that they were going to hell for doing so.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-01-2019 at 07:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 07:35 AM
 
1,078 posts, read 771,209 times
Reputation: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard lots of people who identify as Christians but who also believe in more Hunduistic things. What do you think of a person who believes in the atonement of Jesus Christ dying for their sins, but they also believe in Reincarnation. Not from reading Hindu texts (though they respect the religion) but they interpret the Bible as describing reincarnation. I only ask this because I've either known or read material from several people who have these (seemingly contrary) beliefs.

What do you think? Are they true Christians?
I believe in it because I also believe in the testimony of hundreds of people who have had NDEs and reincarnation is mentioned often. I see no other way for karma (reap what you sow) to play out either without reincarnation happening. Who in their right mind would want to come back I know but it also seems pretty much voluntary except for those who need to keep coming back until they get it. There is no room in paradise for those still holding grudges and it seems forgiveness is the key to breaking the cycle. Only love is permitted and those without it will never see God. But God has eternity to fix us, right? I think many in the early church and many Jews believed in it as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,960 posts, read 22,122,586 times
Reputation: 10700
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I have heard lots of people who identify as Christians but who also believe in more Hunduistic things. What do you think of a person who believes in the atonement of Jesus Christ dying for their sins, but they also believe in Reincarnation. Not from reading Hindu texts (though they respect the religion) but they interpret the Bible as describing reincarnation. I only ask this because I've either known or read material from several people who have these (seemingly contrary) beliefs.

What do you think? Are they true Christians?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
A person can be in error doctrinally with regard to non-essential doctrines (as opposed to the essential doctrines [Jesus dying for our sins and His resurrection]) and still be a true Christian. Belief in reincarnation is not doctrinally sound, but it is a non-essential doctrine.

I think a person who is a Christian but believes in reincarnation is doctrinally in error.
Amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2019, 01:10 PM
Status: "be angry and sin not!" (set 5 days ago)
 
4,697 posts, read 1,221,381 times
Reputation: 244
oh how you twisted that..

no christian believes in Hinduism's "reincarnation ". it is it's own set of beliefs about coming back over and over even as a bug .. until you get it right or holy enough..
no Christian believes that.

Christians do serve a God of life and he is in control of all life and who and where and when and how.. is his business.
but after their first life, then judgment at their death.. the conscious tells the truth..
Now some are living and have been "living" .
Abraham Isaac and Jacob.. they live !
my God is God of the living. do I need to give you the bible quote again?
so some might ask ; where are they living? .. easy anywhere He wants them to be for his purposes and the Father's will .

this has nothing to do with the religion of those who think that they will be reincarnated until they get it right....
these will never get it right enough without the son and the cross and their submission to his kingdom and simple rules of love.
and of those the righteous with his laws on their heart and
all those who did NOT go against those inner laws written on our souls from creation that he put them there in everyone ..
Then at their resurrection the humble and loving will bow their knee to the promised one in every culture!
because every gentile culture has a root that is waiting for Him and always has waited for him who's prophesy fills the skies
and all those who has waited for him( knowing or not yet knowing his name ) will bow their knee to him ..


But you are wrong.. Even the ressurrection from the dead is a kind of "reincarnation" ..
yes real christians believe God is in the reincarnation/ resurrection business..
we call it Salvation Through Christ!

not THE HINDU BELIEF of men working their way to righteousness as bugs..

Last edited by n..Xuipa; 04-01-2019 at 01:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top